When I read the Blog on CrackBerry it listed one of updates was to improve wifi connectivity. I unfortunately since installing the update have worse wifi connectivity than before. In the last half hour I have had to delete and add my home wifi connection about 4 times because when I'm surfing it will lose connection and the progress bar just stops at about half way. I have rebooted the PlayBook and that does not help. Anyone else experiencing this issue?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-25-11 06:29 AM
    No, mine is working fine with my home wifi. Did you try resetting your router?
    11-25-11 06:37 AM
    Where are you in PA and who is your provider? I'm in Pittsburgh and with Comcast. I'm having identical issues. When I use Bridge everything is fine. I think my provider is having Black Friday issues.
    11-25-11 07:22 AM
    Try deleting and recreating your WiFi profile if it isnt your ISP and a router reboot does not fix.
    11-25-11 07:33 AM
    Try deleting and recreating your WiFi profile if it isnt your ISP and a router reboot does not fix.
    I concur. AWFUL WIFI. In fact MUCH worse than before. Where it used to work with 4-5 bars it now shows 2-3 at best. Also lke others my wifi connection keeps dropping. Prefer to downgrade back to previous OS. Anyone know how to do that ?
    11-25-11 07:54 AM
    Browser performance seems the same or slightly better with less checkerboarding but somehow the # of bars is less than before the update and # of bars indicated seems to be more sensitive to orientation in a particular room and where its held
    11-25-11 08:06 AM
    Since the upgrade i am seeing better performance without the stalling, works for me.
    11-25-11 09:55 AM
    I have 2 playbooks and have upgraded both to 1.0.8. One works perfectly with wi-fi the other will not find my router. The router works with my computer so it is not a router problem. Any help appreciated.
    11-25-11 10:02 AM
    I've had no issues since updating, if anything it seems to be a bit better for wifi. Perhaps there is some other problem that is the common denominator here.
    11-25-11 10:05 AM
    Since the upgrade i am seeing better performance without the stalling, works for me.
    +1 wifi is much better and browser much faster. Thecupgrade work for me just fine.
    11-25-11 10:20 AM
    I was also under the impression that the update will make the wifi a lot better, but it has really become worst. I have a brand new router(cisco), there was never a problem earlier. I have found that deleting the wifi setup and then reestablishing it, followed by a restart helps. Only time will tell if this has solved the problem.Earlier I had deleted the network and added, but it would solve the problem temporarily. If the current route dosent solve the problem then I will try a soft and hard reset.. now those better work.

On a side note when the wifi is working its obviously a lot faster after the update in browsing.
    11-25-11 10:31 AM
    my wifi went crazy after the update. will probably have to delete and re-add the connections. also some apps that used to work thru bridge doesn;t work anymore. already delete and reinstall kobo to make it work.
    will have to delete and reinstall again i guess..thanks to rim for the mickey mouse update!
    11-25-11 10:43 AM
    wifi seems maybe just a tiny bit stronger, but WIFI is working better with browser now, browser seem to load a lot faster especially with youtube
    11-25-11 10:46 AM
    my bridge will not work since upgrading to 1.0.8.4985. it was working fine before the upgrade
    11-25-11 10:52 AM
    Since yesterday morning I have been suffering this same problem. I had it before and after updating. Support wants to RMA...

Just bought this unit and it worked fine on the first night.
    GEMSONDAY likes this.
    11-25-11 11:04 AM
    Using the WiFi router in my home I always got four bars. I now get only two bars on my PB when one room away from router. That is the bad news. The good news is that the download data rate has increased dramatically using Speedtest app. This results in much faster web browsing. Unlike some users my bridged link works perfect, but don't see much difference in speed.

Edit
    Should have noted I am using Cradlepoint router with a Verizon broadband USB 3g interface. The router creates the WiFi so any of my computing devices uses the one Verizon IF and acct. Fortunately I have a grandfathered unlimited usage acct.
    Last edited by mickeyboat; 11-25-11 at 11:10 AM.
    11-25-11 11:06 AM
    Is RIM going to do anything about this problem or do we wait 4 weeks for a bug fix? Meanwhile no wi-fi so Playbook only useful as a paper weight!
    11-25-11 11:32 AM
    I myself just had this same problem and I turned off the WiFi on my PlayBook, and it took a while to pick my router back up. Much longer...

I'm still new to this device and love it despite the quirks but the update I installed today has given me some mixed results. The web browser seems a bit faster but the performance on flash seems a bit slower.

Google Maps is unusable sadly and I am not a big fan of Bing maps. Hopefully Google will warm up to the PlayBook with a native map application and Google Earth.

Back to wireless, I did have some issues though which would show me as connected but I wasn't. That was rather annoying. I hope that is fixed at least when you know you are connected to your router.
    11-25-11 11:35 AM
    I had the same issue yesterday. Lost wifi several times during a 5 minute session trying to type a response in one of these topics.

I don't know whether it was the fix, but I made the Playbook IP address on my router static, by inputting its MAC address. After that it seems to have improved. I have 4 phones, 4 tablets, 4 laptops, a printer, two wifi cameras and some other junk competing for wifi, so maybe that was the issue.
    11-25-11 11:43 AM
    Where are you in PA and who is your provider? I'm in Pittsburgh and with Comcast. I'm having identical issues. When I use Bridge everything is fine. I think my provider is having Black Friday issues.
    i am located in Lancaster, PA and also use Comcast..
    11-25-11 12:39 PM
    No, mine is working fine with my home wifi. Did you try resetting your router?
    i did not think of resetting my router because 9900 and PC are not having connection issues when i surf with them...
    11-25-11 12:40 PM
    i did not think of resetting my router because 9900 and PC are not having connection issues when i surf with them...
    Diddo but this is what worked for me. And to think for once the standard support answer "reboot your router" would have solved it!

This is the longest I've been on in a couple days. over an hour wifi trouble free.

Edit: worked fine for about an hour then right back to hanging in the browser
    Last edited by MaddogBC; 11-25-11 at 02:21 PM.
    11-25-11 01:16 PM
    I have tried all the above, with no success. I can turn wifi off and that will give me a few mins, but it will eventually crap out. This is most evident in the browser, where I will change pages and it will get stuck halfway and eventually give me an error screen.

I had no problems with the previous OS and then changed to OS 2.0 for about a month. That one had the wifi problems. When I changed back I had no problems and then upgraded to this new OS and had them again! They were supposed to have fixed wifi connectivity in this one....so much for that!
    11-25-11 02:32 PM
    my bridge will not work since upgrading to 1.0.8.4985. it was working fine before the upgrade
    i had the same issue, but it was fixed after i reboot my bb phone.
    11-25-11 02:50 PM
    Yesterday I was Rim's official fanboy, today I'm not so sure.

after 2 days on the phone and in front of desktop and PB the best I can get is an RMA on my 16 gig. They can't fix it no matter how many times I change my router and update firmware. All my other wifi devices work fine and this PB does the same thing at a hotspot.

I spent a full day running all over town to secure this one, I have since spent a good percentage more than the original unit price on accessories. But most of all I'm choked about my Zagg invisiguard.(45$) They are an involved process to install and require at least 2 days device downtime. I won't even mention all the apps and content I've aquired in a short time.

Found the dead pixel thread today, downloaded the app and sure enough it's horrible. I noticed vertical lines previously but shrugged it off as the zagg 48 hour curing process. I have over a dozen vertical lines of stuck pixels, 2 of which are horrible...

Hate to add fuel to the fire for the haters but I'm dissappointed and it's tempting to just take the whole lot back and be done with it /sigh

Would have cost them next to nothing to upgrade my RMA to a 32g and validate my dollars and time invested. Instead they handle it poorly. and lose another previously happy customer.
    11-25-11 05:45 PM
61 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD