I'm sure a lot of you are disappointed because you are not seeing tangible changes in this update. As much as I want to see autocorrect hit the Playbook, this update represents a huge step to put Tablet OS in sync with the latest and greatest Adobe tools.

Adobe just released (today) Flash Builder 4.5.1 and is running a 3-day conference to roll it out. The new Flash Builder works with Adobe Air 2.7. This OS update means that developers can use the new Flash Builder with the Tablet OS SDK (without any hacks) to build apps much more easily. But more importantly, it means that apps can be written once and deployed directly to the Playbook, Android, and iOS without any code changes. Adobe Air developers don't need to pick a platform any more. This should mean a dramatic increase on apps very soon.

Just thought I'd drop my $0.02 worth before people start slamming the >300mb update with no 'noticable' fixes.
    rcab and kuwari316 like this.
    06-20-11 09:30 PM
    With Adobe Air 2.7 on board now, will the PB be able to play all existing Adobe Air apps? The NY Times Reader runs on Adobe Air. Would The PB be able to run it like any pc can? Sorry if this is a ridiculous question, but I'm not sure why how it would work.

QUOTE=louzer;6425209]I'm sure a lot of you are disappointed because you are not seeing tangible changes in this update. As much as I want to see autocorrect hit the Playbook, this update represents a huge step to put Tablet OS in sync with the latest and greatest Adobe tools.

Adobe just released (today) Flash Builder 4.5.1 and is running a 3-day conference to roll it out. The new Flash Builder works with Adobe Air 2.7. This OS update means that developers can use the new Flash Builder with the Tablet OS SDK (without any hacks) to build apps much more easily. But more importantly, it means that apps can be written once and deployed directly to the Playbook, Android, and iOS without any code changes. Adobe Air developers don't need to pick a platform any more. This should mean a dramatic increase on apps very soon.

Just thought I'd drop my $0.02 worth before people start slamming the >300mb update with no 'noticable' fixes.[/QUOTE]

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    narci and rcab like this.
    06-20-11 09:55 PM
    I'm sure a lot of you are disappointed because you are not seeing tangible changes in this update. As much as I want to see autocorrect hit the Playbook, this update represents a huge step to put Tablet OS in sync with the latest and greatest Adobe tools.

Just thought I'd drop my $0.02 worth before people start slamming the >300mb update with no 'noticable' fixes.
    What? You mean there's still no auto-correct on this thing? I suppose there's no sign of native email eiter, huh? What a complete piece of crap.

Yes, that was sarcasm at its maybe not-so-finest. As long as an update doesn't brick my PlayBook, I'm ok. But I would like to see auto-correct before I'm compelled to buy its replacement PlayBook 2.
    06-20-11 09:58 PM
    Ive been waiting for my app to be approved for a week now. Its still yet to go through testing meaning at least a few more days.
    By the time someone builds their app and puts it in for approval and gets it approved it will be at least a month.
    While the update IS promising it's not something that will be useful in the near future.
    06-20-11 10:03 PM
    We need apps built by native SDK for better performance.
    lazy developer depends on flash to produce those mediocre apps.
    comparing the quality of app world(flash) and app store(objective C) you will find the huge gap.
    06-20-11 10:17 PM
    Ive been waiting for my app to be approved for a week now. Its still yet to go through testing meaning at least a few more days.
    By the time someone builds their app and puts it in for approval and gets it approved it will be at least a month.
    While the update IS promising it's not something that will be useful in the near future.
    If you import your project into FB 4.5.1, you can deploy to PB, Android, and iOS. You might find that useful in the near future.
    06-20-11 10:51 PM
    We need apps built by native SDK for better performance.
    lazy developer depends on flash to produce those mediocre apps.
    comparing the quality of app world(flash) and app store(objective C) you will find the huge gap.
    The whole point of Air 2.7 is for compatibility across platforms and increase in performance.

The Facebook app is an Air app. I don't hear too many complaints about that.
    06-20-11 10:54 PM
    If you import your project into FB 4.5.1, you can deploy to PB, Android, and iOS. You might find that useful in the near future.
    You will probably see autocorrect before you see my app in App World, which is what I was getting too.
    The process to approve is SLOW.
    Regardless of more developers pushing to Blackberry it wont have an effect on us for another 2+ weeks at least. By then we'll see another update more than likely with tangible additions.
    06-20-11 10:58 PM
    Hopefully it will let me watch 2 movies at the same time again in showcase mode. Mine lost that ability after the last update. I got 2 eyes, might as well get the most out of them.
    davestephens21 and Speczorz like this.
    06-20-11 11:03 PM
    does anyone know if calendar notifications always popped up before this update because it is the first i have seen it
    06-20-11 11:07 PM
    tap to zoom finally works in the browser. and extremely well too thats something that has been bugging me for a long time

06-20-11 11:10 PM
    You will probably see autocorrect before you see my app in App World, which is what I was getting too.
    The process to approve is SLOW.
    Regardless of more developers pushing to Blackberry it wont have an effect on us for another 2+ weeks at least. By then we'll see another update more than likely with tangible additions.
    Point well taken. If this indeed means more apps being submitted, I hope it doesn't turn into 3-5 weeks like prior to launch.
    06-20-11 11:16 PM
    Onward, upward, faster and smoother. By this point I am resigned to waiting for full function quality apps. Sure there will be delay until the developers can incorporate the update enhancements, but this update at least starts some of the clocks running.

Pretty smooth upgrade -- some audio popping prior to reboot and GPS, of course, has to find itself all over again, but it didn't take nearly as long in the past. FWIW, I deleted Poynt, rebooted the PB, launched GPS Monitor (free app in App World) which took a few minutes to find its bearings, then re-installed and launched Poynt and it found its bearings right away. Had to re-pair with Poynt on my Torch but that was no problem.
    06-20-11 11:49 PM
    Don't know if it's just me, but scrolling in the browser is greatly improved - you can drag and scroll on flash ads now where you couldn't before, which greatly reduces the bug with opening browser tabs when trying to scroll. Happy about that.
    06-20-11 11:50 PM
    Im just so happy that everything is blazing fast

-Browser is speedy as well as scrolling
    -No more slow wifi issues, works fine just like on a Laptop.
    -Biggest noticeable improvement is the bridge, everything loads instantly also notifications go away as soon as you open the message.
    -Battery Life is much better (goes down 1% every 10 minutes while watching a 1080p movie with the brightness set to 50% and auto dimming off)
    -No more buffering when streaming a 1080p YouTube video when my signal is weak

All-in-all this is a much needed improvement and like he title says, it sure is a huge plus!!
    06-21-11 12:44 AM
    Much faster browsing. They didn't fix the email attachments download location, though.
    06-21-11 12:49 AM
    All updates are welcomed by me, making the playbook faster will show both consumers and developers the potential of QNX, and adobe will hopefully allow developers to bring more apps to app world.

I'm hearing reports that we can now using video chat on some IM sites. can anyone verify?
    06-21-11 01:47 AM
    Wonderful update. I just got back all my Gmail, Twatter and AOL shortcuts back.
    06-21-11 02:15 AM
    Still no Portrait mode in the Pic app.
    06-21-11 08:47 AM
    Wonderful update. I just got back all my Gmail, Twatter and AOL shortcuts back.

You can't get rid of them! RIM adds back all of the "Native" apps each time you delete them, then check the software update button, it will tell you you have an update. It's just RIM sending them back. Try it, I dare you.
    06-21-11 08:53 AM
    Bridge e-mail is way fast now, hitting Delete executes right away, no lag. Love it!!

-m
    06-21-11 10:31 AM
    wow! playbook is snappier now. web browsing, scrolling, pages load faster. you wont wait forever for bridge applications to load, scrolling thru contacts, emails is smoother and seems no hitches at all.
    06-21-11 10:43 AM
    playbook is discerning getting better with each update...i like it.

06-21-11 11:31 AM
    To get approved quick in AppWorld it seems as if the application either have to be completely useless - waste of time - non-functional - or be full of coding errors that makes it freeze and lock up all the time....

Hopefully your app is non of the above - and therefore takes some more time to approve...

good luck
    06-21-11 01:40 PM
    does anyone know if calendar notifications always popped up before this update because it is the first i have seen it
    It's had it for awhile. I'm not sure which update kicked it in, but it's been there.
    06-21-11 02:04 PM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD