I don't mind waiting a bit for updates as long as they WORK. 1690 for me was better than 1710. I seem to have a bit of a memory leak as well as reduced battery life (its not terrible but 1690 was better). I've also found my browser is not as good on the current build. Not only is it slower, but I'm experiencing some freezing where I have to close it and restart it, and just 15 minutes ago it just closed itself. And it was the only thing I had running.

So I'm hoping for a SOLID update every few weeks until they get the PlayBook where it should have been on April 19. Also that BBM update better happen next week, Jim B said 2 weeks at launch. 2 weeks is fast approaching.
    04-29-11 03:57 PM
    Thursday - Day 1
    Friday - Day 2
    Sat - Day 3
    Sun - Day 4
    Mon - Day 5
    Tue - Day 6
    Wed - Day 7
    Thur - Day 8
    Fri - Day 9

Looks like you can't count too.

You can't count thursday....day one would be friday....
    piper975 likes this.
    04-29-11 04:22 PM
    My anxiousness is to get the updates promised...the updates that will complete the device. This latest build is stable but there are some minor annoyances that overtime cause major headaches.
    04-29-11 04:26 PM
    I hope battery issues get addressed.
    I could live with the current battery. I could probably live without a native email client in the short term as well, but the feature I'd use the most on my Playbook would be BBM, so that would be my first issue that I hope gets addressed.
    04-29-11 04:44 PM
    I hope battery issues get addressed.
    Me too. I'm only getting 12 hours or so of continual use. I didn't charge mine yesterday since I only had "normal" use and it looks like I will have to charge it tonight!

Darn battery problems.
    04-29-11 04:51 PM
    Hmm..so can anyone tell me if the browser issues (checkerboarding) is fixed in the 1710 update? If so can you upload a twitter or YouTube vid to show me? And please no "there is no checkerboarding comments" because I've demoed 4 different models on 1690 and they all had it and I've already linked a video of it on these forums. If the browsing is fixed then there is a very good chance ill pick one up..but if not then I'll steer clear..
    Well the checker board also appears on the iPad 2 when scrolling fast. I'm not sure you can get rid of it on any tablet? I did notice it on the playbook but it is also prevalent on the iPad as well.
    04-29-11 05:24 PM
    Well the checker board also appears on the iPad 2 when scrolling fast. I'm not sure you can get rid of it on any tablet? I did notice it on the playbook but it is also prevalent on the iPad as well.
    I only get checkerboarding when i scroll while the page is loading. If the page is fully loaded i can scroll as fast as i want without getting checkerboarding.
    04-29-11 05:26 PM
    I only get checkerboarding when i scroll while the page is loading. If the page is fully loaded i can scroll as fast as i want without getting checkerboarding.
    In comparison to a Xoom there is no checkerboarding ever..even while page loading. I know the ipad 1 has checkerboarding big time..but I've never tried the ipad 2 yet. I was really hoping this was addressed..because it does seem to take awhile for a page to fully load..and after getting used to how fast my browser is with the Atrix..I was expecting the same kind of performance from the PB.
    04-30-11 10:15 AM
    just curious, do you guys actually use your Playbooks, or just continuously hit the software update button? It may not be 100% perfect, but it can do 99.9% of what it should be able to do. The only thing left is to actually use it as it was intended. I like software updates too, but I think with level of expectations as high as the people in this thread, you're going to be disappointed with what ever update does come.

Chill out, enjoy your Playbook, and don't stress about the updates!
    mynameisme likes this.
    04-30-11 12:17 PM
    just curious, do you guys actually use your Playbooks, or just continuously hit the software update button? It may not be 100% perfect, but it can do 99.9% of what it should be able to do. The only thing left is to actually use it as it was intended. I like software updates too, but I think with level of expectations as high as the people in this thread, you're going to be disappointed with what ever update does come.

Chill out, enjoy your Playbook, and don't stress about the updates!
    Well I think 99.9% is a bit high. The Playbook has great potential - I like the GUI they've put together and the underlying functionality (multitasking, etc...) I think is better than iOS. And QNX is best of breed in terms of secure and stable OS core.

But there are some serious shortcomings that need to be addressed that have been mentioned on this site. For me the biggest is the lack of Apps and some issues in the Browser (although it is good). They need to fix it so you can login to Sharepoint 2010 sites (if Google Chrome can do it, why can't the Playbook Browser?). Also they need to tweak and optimize the flash a bit (it can slow down quite a bit when watching videos on some sites). Flash is great but I find myself always accidentally hitting the Flash advertisements which are typically on the right side of the screen (exactly where am touching the screen to scroll). They should allow scrolling off the screen like you can do with other actions such as App switching or bringing down the options panel for Apps (swiping down from the top). It's actually becoming quite annoying...

For Apps, it's the quality of Apps and the fact we don't have some of the major Apps and games (Skype, NetFlix, and Angry Birds for example, just to name three, but the list goes on...).

Yes, Apps will come in time, but I really am "hoping" at this point. It will depend on sales of the Playbook in order for some of the major App makers to jump on board. (Either that or RIM funds the development itself). If Playbook sales are not so great we are in trouble. And it's not getting any easier with further Android Tablets and the HP Touchpad on the horizon, so competition for Apps will remain a challenge.

Personally I think they should have Launched with a few more of the major Apps such as Skype, DropBox, NetFlix and Angry Birds. It's possible it would have attracted more initial sales to help build momentum.

For now I anxiously await further OS updates and keep checking the AppWorld (which, btw, can use some improvements) for updates.
    04-30-11 12:40 PM
    In comparison to a Xoom there is no checkerboarding ever..even while page loading. I know the ipad 1 has checkerboarding big time..but I've never tried the ipad 2 yet. I was really hoping this was addressed..because it does seem to take awhile for a page to fully load..and after getting used to how fast my browser is with the Atrix..I was expecting the same kind of performance from the PB.
    I've used an iPad2. While loading a page it will checkerboard just like the iPad1 and the PlayBook if you scroll it too quickly. And as far as load times I find the PalyBook to be quite fast. Right on par with the iPad2 it keeps getting compared too as far as I'm concerned.
    04-30-11 12:41 PM
    I've used an iPad2. While loading a page it will checkerboard just like the iPad1 and the PlayBook if you scroll it too quickly. And as far as load times I find the PalyBook to be quite fast. Right on par with the iPad2 it keeps getting compared too as far as I'm concerned.
    We have two iPad 2 and three iPad 1 in the family and none of them actually ever showed the "checkerboard" you mentioned, with one exception with an iPad 1 once.
    Not sure how long you've used the iPad 2 but we use them on a daily basis.
    The Playbook is a nice little fellow and I love it for internet browsing at the beach(amazing outdoor display because of the extreme brightness) but everything else is practically subpar to other tablets on the market. Especially the missing mail/calendar support is a huge pain in the *** and although I own a Blackberry 9700 too for various business purposes(my main phone is an iPhone 4 though), I hate to use two devices at once, just to check my mail/calendar entries.
    So for now, the Playbook got my attention but so did the Motorola Xoom and I lost my interest pretty fast. I just hope that RIM does better but right now, the Playbook is just another toy, nothing to be used seriously in a private or even professional environment.
    04-30-11 01:00 PM
    The checkerboard isn't just a tablet issue, I think it's a website issue too.

CB use to not checkerboard a lot about a week and a half ago. Now it checkers like crazy. CB takes a long time to load on multiple PC desktops too.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-30-11 01:30 PM
    checkerboard is the tablets version of the pc's white screen. for those who claim to not get it you must be on some amazingly fast wifi. i've seen both ipads doit, my xoom did it, and my pb does it. but if your xoom can actually loaad pages every time is a feat with in its self.
    04-30-11 02:46 PM
    I get checker boarding all the time but it means nothing to me because as soon as the thing stops scrolling the pattern disappears.

I don't think this phenomenon is as terrible as it once was with, say, PC's.
    04-30-11 03:03 PM
    So a couple of items that cause me a bit of frustration with the lack of timely updates. If this device was ready for primetime on release day then I wouldn't care, this device is not.

If this device ships with basic functionality, copy and paste, auto text, bbm, the list goes on, then taking a week or a month to correct minor issues is fine.

This device didn't ship with basic functionality that blackberry users expect so my expectation is that RIMs SW engineers should be working around the clock to correct these issues. You get one fixed, you issue an update, you move on to the next one and you get it finished issue another update....

You pay $500, $600, $700 for a device that turns out to be only 70% done and people have a right to be peeved!

PG
    04-30-11 03:58 PM
    Everyone knew that a dual core 1ghz cpu is only so fast right?You also knew this is version 1.0 software right? Then why the fudge is everyone so surprised???? Oh my terrible 13 hour battery life, oh scrolling sucks, oh this feature we knew did not launch with the tablet is not with the tablet. I suppose android scrolling and stability is better on revision 10000000 of software. iOS is probably on revision 97846879 and playbook software on 1710 as of now.

BUT ERRRR DERR RIM SAID SOFTWARE STABLE DURRRR.

Think a little.
    04-30-11 04:26 PM
    Everyone knew that a dual core 1ghz cpu is only so fast right?You also knew this is version 1.0 software right? Then why the fudge is everyone so surprised???? Oh my terrible 13 hour battery life, oh scrolling sucks, oh this feature we knew did not launch with the tablet is not with the tablet. I suppose android scrolling and stability is better on revision 10000000 of software. iOS is probably on revision 97846879 and playbook software on 1710 as of now.

Think a little.
    Haha. This is passion right here.
    04-30-11 04:58 PM

Think a little.
    i think i love you.... keep posting like that. most trolls don't think, you hit the nail on the head with a 10ton hammer. <3
    ps my scrolling doesn't suck on my pb.
    04-30-11 05:33 PM
    My iPad checkerboarded when I scrolled too fast.

My iPad 2 checkerboarded when I scrolled too fast.

My PlayBook checkerboarded when I scrolled too fast.

A demo unit of the Xoom checkerboarded when I scrolled too fast.

This happens on ANY device when you don't let the webpage finish loading, that's a fact. There is no way around it. On a PC/Mac, it prevents you from scrolling when the page isn't full loaded, or it's just the same color as the background and not a checkerboard. So it even happens on computers.
    04-30-11 05:51 PM
    My iPad checkerboarded when I scrolled too fast.

My iPad 2 checkerboarded when I scrolled too fast.

My PlayBook checkerboarded when I scrolled too fast.

A demo unit of the Xoom checkerboarded when I scrolled too fast.

This happens on ANY device when you don't let the webpage finish loading, that's a fact. There is no way around it. On a PC/Mac, it prevents you from scrolling when the page isn't full loaded, or it's just the same color as the background and not a checkerboard. So it even happens on computers.
    yep like what i said the checkerboard is the tablets version of the whire screen on a pc browser they all do that. it's part of the loading process, the only way to avoid it is to have the webpage already chached using something like faster fox.
    04-30-11 06:22 PM
    People, I dont care one bit what software this thing runs but rendering engadget or other intense sites will be the crysis or metro2033 of tablets. It checkerboards because an arm cpu is significantly less powerful than an atom cpu which as we all know pretty much sucks. Not even steve jobs has enough fairy powder for that....
    In fact hes a bit short on it. THE TRUE REASON FOR THE IPAD 2 DELAY:

Steve Jobs runs out of iMagic, travels to Mordor to bargain for Saurons iMines to increase iDust supply.

Edit: No hate towards apple just a funnyish story that popped into my head. Their devices are magical hehe especially for people on drugs using the ipad 2s camera effects xD. Forgot which preview video someone commented on that in.

Edit 2: The checkerboarding is the cpus fault not internet connection. The cpu i just more busy while pages load and cannot be dedicated to scrolling.
    Last edited by Meltbox360; 04-30-11 at 11:40 PM.
    04-30-11 11:23 PM
    Edit: No hate towards apple just a funnyish story that popped into my head. Their devices are magical hehe especially for people on drugs using the ipad 2s camera effects xD. Forgot which preview video someone commented on that in.
    LOL that was Josh T from engadget

Viddler.com - iPad 2 speed demo - Uploaded by engadget
    05-01-11 11:52 AM
48 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD