Hello,
    I recieved a random text message from Blackberry that stated today when I was watching tv.

"Your handheld has been registered with the wireless network"

I do not have a data plan. I have never used wifi with this blackberry, I don't even know if it's possible to connect with wifi with the Pearl 8100. All I do with this phone is text and call. I can't even get picture messages from this phone. What does it mean? Did I accidentally do something? Did they, for some reason, tack on a data plan to my phone? Or is it nothing, and I should just ignore it. Thanks!
    10-29-12 01:56 AM
    That's from the phone network, not wifi. It can happen after an upgrade/restart. It could be your phone roamed to a different network, for example from ATT to Verizon if it lost connection to ATT so watch out for roaming charges. Where are you? if you are in the path of hurricane Sandy it could be that cell phone service was disrupted and you were disconnected and reconnected.

KB29404-Registration Message "Your handheld has been registered with the wireless network" appears multiple times per day
    10-29-12 02:11 AM
    Hello. I'm in Southern California. I have tmobile. I do not have a data plan at all, so is it still possible I can get roaming charges? appreciate it man. It was in my pocket when i got the text.
    10-29-12 04:15 AM
    Hello. I'm in Southern California. I have tmobile. I do not have a data plan at all, so is it still possible I can get roaming charges? appreciate it man. It was in my pocket when i got the text.
    Most major US carriers add a data plan as soon as a smartphone is recognized on the network. That may be the case here. Best to call the carrier and make sure what your circumstance may be.
    10-29-12 05:36 AM
    Thanks. I'll call my brother and ask (he pays for it, not me). But I still don't understand how this is possible. This is the phone tmobile gave me when we got our new contracts. They knew we didn't have a data plan obviously. And they gave us a choice of this phone. I've had this phone for 4 years. Is this phone even considered a smart phone (pearl 8100)?? lol
    Last edited by Milkoholic17; 10-29-12 at 04:17 PM.
    10-29-12 03:49 PM
    sorry, milkoholic17 is also me. accidently made two accounts.
    10-29-12 04:00 PM
    You said you don't have data service on your account, so be alert for the network provider detecting a smartphone and automatically adding data service at extra cost. Others have noted possible roaming (I think that is unlikely) but the bigger risk is a nasty surprise for on-network service when you get the next bill.
    10-29-12 08:06 PM
    You said you don't have data service on your account, so be alert for the network provider detecting a smartphone and automatically adding data service at extra cost. Others have noted possible roaming (I think that is unlikely) but the bigger risk is a nasty surprise for on-network service when you get the next bill.
    Hello Branta. Thanks for replying. I understand that it possibly could be a data service being added, but what I don't get is why after 4 years they detected my so called smartphone (pearl 8100). Tmobile personally gave me this phone when I did a no data contract.
    10-29-12 08:31 PM
    In the upper right corner of your screen, where the signal strength bars are, if you also see upper case "EDGE", then you have a BIS connected data plan attached. I don't know what it would show if there was no data. Maybe just "gsm" or "gprs".

The 8100 is considered a "smartphone" by some mobile carriers. AT&T certainly does and will tag the most expensive available data plan to it if found on their network without one.

Maybe T-Mobile did one of their random IMEI sweeps, saw it and registered it. If T-Mobile actually allows this phone to live without a data plan (and they have not recently made a policy change in that regard), then a phone call is in order to have them take it off.
    10-30-12 11:43 AM