Can anyone tell me how to ensure that you are using the wifi connection on the pearl over the data connection. I ask because although I have a data plan, ut is relatively limited, so I prefer to browse the web via wifi to give me as much data to use when out of a wifi zone.

My question is - is there a way to tell when in the browser that you are definitely connected wifi? I have the options set to wifi preferred, I just wondered if there was anyway to make sure perhaps via the symbols in the top eight hand corner.

Thanks in advance.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-17-09 09:18 AM
    If you have it set to WIFI preferred, you will no doubt be using WIFI.

If you also click bookmarks and select the WIFI hotspot login page it will direct you through the WIFI network to the internet.
    Im not entirely sure if thats a definite but I always do it just to make sure...
    04-17-09 09:23 AM
    in the bb browser options, browser config you can set that to "hotspot browser" think its teh same setting in general as well, now when you use it you will see the wifi icon and not the signal strength...

think thats it
    04-17-09 09:25 AM
    No matter how many times I select the hotsoot browser in the options, it always reverts back again when I go back in to check it. Am I doing something wrong?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-17-09 09:50 AM
    The first consideration, does your carrier support UMA?

If they do, when you have a Wifi connection, you will see the UMA indicator on the screen. When that is present, all of your voice and data use the Wifi connection.

If UMA is not active, only your Hotspot Browser can use Wifi. Voice and data, including the Internet Browser, will continue to use the cellular network.

Lets double check the settings:

Options / Advanced Options / Browser. The first option, Configuration, is where you set the defaults. Press Menu and select Change Option. Your choices are Hotspot, Internet or WAP. Save the Hotspot setting.

Open your Browser, press Menu / Options / Browser Configuration. You should see your chosen option.

If you need to access the Internet away from a Wifi zone, you will need to restore the default to Internet Browser. Keep in mind, any links you have saved are Browser specific. A Hotspot link will not open in the Internet Browser and vise versa.
    04-17-09 11:38 AM
    Thanks very much, I have changed the settings as you instructed me, and the icon in the top right hand corner of my browser is now a wifi icon, whereas I don't think that this has ever been the case before, and always been the GPRS I believe.

As I right to assume that although I have been connected to my wifi network, and that wifi has been the preferred network, that I have in fact been using GPRS and consequently using my allowance?

I believe that I do have UMA, or at least I quite regularly see the icon, either in capitals or lower case. I am on Orange in the UK, and as far as I am aware they do support UMA. I'm afraid I'm still a little confused as to how that would affect whether or not I'm using wifi or GPRS.

I know that there are many that argue that you shouldn't have a blackberry if you do not intend to use it for what is predominantly designed for - push email, howvever this is the function that I use it for the least. I would like to use the wifi wherever possible so that I have the maximum flexibility for using my 250MB browsing which is included in my blackberry allowance (I also am completely unaware of how long this will last) and not incur any extra chanrges.

It's a shame that you have to manually switch between browsers, as you have indicated, is there any way that my 8120 can do this automatically depending on whether I am in a wifi connection zone that it recognises?

Many thanks for your patience and help - I've had my pearl for a little over a week and I'm still adjusting! It's a big change from a regular Nokia phone to something that is all singing and dancing!
    04-18-09 02:22 PM
    I too am on Orange UK but have never seen UMA in either lower or upper case... so Im intrigued... gonna start to dig as I may be missing out, and I dont like that, lol. will post my findings...
    04-18-09 05:24 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD