I just received an 8120 (gen. 2 Pearl with Wi-Fi) today and thought I'd post some initial shots of the device.

At the moment, it does not appear to support HotSpot@home Wi-Fi calling from T Mobile, but I expect that will be relatively easy to add come Feb 18th when the device officially launches.

Here is the flickr photoset: Blackberry Pearl 8120 - a photoset on Flickr
    12-26-07 04:23 PM
    When is sprint going to get a wifi pearl??

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-26-07 08:15 PM
    How is that External Micro SD card slot working out?
    12-27-07 11:07 AM
    Honestly, in terms of the CDMA equivalent, I imagine it will be some time. I tend to think of the *20 devices as a nod to TMo, even if ATT most often gets them first. I think it's going to be a while until we see a WiFi device on the CDMA carriers' shelves. Also, I know that in the 81xx form factor, there has been some debate as to whether WiFi and GPS can coexist, and it seems that Sprint Nextel and Verizon have chosen the GPS route over Wifi.

The external SD card slot is alright. On my 8130, the door has already begun to detach a bit. It's one of those pieces of plastic mounted to a piece of soft plastic or rubber, so, in short, there's not really a hinge - as a result, I can imagine that the door would easily rip off if it were sticking out a bit when you were sliding the device into or out of a pocket. On the upside, there's no need for a battery pull to switch cards - not a common occurrence for me, but could be a godsend for folks dealing with multiple cards holding lots of data.

That's my $0.02
    12-27-07 01:40 PM
    Question,how were you able to get your hands on one so early?
    01-02-08 05:00 PM
    Its an evaluation device, RIM often makes the devices available to analysts and media pre-release. I have heard, though, that SunComm is selling the device as well as a couple of Canadian carriers and at least one Euro carrier (Orange, though I'm not sure if its part on their UMA offering.)

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by Xuli; 01-03-08 at 08:23 AM.
    01-02-08 11:45 PM
    Okay, nice,i envy you man
    01-03-08 07:19 PM
    How is that External Micro SD card slot working out?
    It's on the left hand side, near the USB socket. It's a little door that you open and turn around to face the other way, it's very nicely made and doesn't feel like it'll break easily (I've got an 8120 here in the UK on the O2 network)
    01-04-08 03:04 AM
    I will say, on the 8120 there seems to be a slightly better build quality but, on the 8130 that I had for all of three weeks, the door was nearly off the device after three weeks, hanging on by a thread.
    01-04-08 08:35 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD