The main question I have is why is this phone still called a Pearl? It has a trackpad now so the "pearl" which everyone knows was the trackball is now gone.
    11-29-09 12:04 AM
    Couldn't really call it the 'Pad' I guess...
    11-29-09 12:17 AM
    I imagine because the form of the pearl is so well known, and this is essentially an updated version of the pearl that calling in another name would just be confusing. At least, that's my guess.
    11-29-09 12:34 AM
    The main question I have is why is this phone still called a Pearl? It has a trackpad now so the "pearl" which everyone knows was the trackball is now gone.
    in that case they shouldnt have called the curve a curve they should have called it the big pearl? the trackball i dont think had any influence to the name of the device. most people associate the pearl as the small form factor blackberry.
    11-29-09 11:06 AM
    To add to this, why did they name the 9630 the tour? or the 9000 the bold? or the 9550/9530 the Storm?

I agree with Cheech, RIM didn't name the device because of any perticular physical attribute of the device

At least they didn't name it the PIXY! Every time I see that name it makes me gag!
    11-29-09 01:06 PM
    Brand recognition. Marketing 101.
    11-29-09 01:52 PM
    The point is that it was, in fact, the look of the new trackball that gave the Pearl its name. The Pearl was called the Pearl because it was the first Blackberry to have a trackball, which just happened to look like a pearl.

Of course RIM's going to keep the name Pearl because it's so engrained with the form of this device, but the name Pearl has lost its original meaning. No biggie... I'm sure the OP's question was kind of tongue and cheek, but with most people not understanding why the Pearl is called the Pearl, the meaning of the question is somewhat lost.
    Last edited by Dsmithjr; 11-29-09 at 04:21 PM.
    11-29-09 04:11 PM
    It's definitely people's association for the Pearl's form factor rather than the trackball. Since a lot of BBs have track balls, its no longer the thing that makes the Pearl stand out.
    11-29-09 04:12 PM
    Also I think people who are fans of the Pearl (like ME) are going to be drawn to the 9100 because it's "Pearl on steroids," as my husband would say. All the best features of the Pearl plus all the best features of the 9700....a match made in Heaven for Pearl lovers!
    11-29-09 07:53 PM
    It's still called a pearl because that's the name it was given when it came out.... That's like asking why you still have the same name you were born with.
    11-29-09 08:03 PM
    why is the covette still called a corvette? its the name given. a vette 25 years ago stock will not have the same performance as a vette of today.
    11-29-09 08:07 PM
    Lol

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

11-30-09 07:18 PM
    At least they didn't name it the PIXY! Every time I see that name it makes me gag!
    I couldnt imagine sitting at a bar and telling your buddies, HEY CHECK OUT THIS PICTURE ON MY PIXY!
    12-11-09 07:55 AM
    I couldnt imagine sitting at a bar and telling your buddies, HEY CHECK OUT THIS PICTURE ON MY PIXY!
    I don't know the story behind this....was it originally called the Pixy, or was the original Pearl going to be called that? I feel there's an inside joke here....
    12-12-09 10:08 AM
    Oh, I see....did some research and found it. Palm actually named their phone a PIXI? Dang.
    12-12-09 10:10 AM
    "Pixie" is no worse than the HTC Desire or Passion. Someone at HTC needs to step away from the Harlequin romance novels!

12-12-09 05:55 PM
    "Pixie" is no worse than the HTC Desire or Passion. Someone at HTC needs to step away from the Harlequin romance novels!

Oh man! I love romance novels, but NO WAY would I want my phone to sound like one!
    12-13-09 05:53 PM
    well the trackball may be old news, but it's still the only bb with the option of the "clamshell design." And where do you find pearls...?
    12-14-09 12:33 AM
    the trackpad changes colors

cool.
    12-14-09 12:57 AM
    It'd be the only time a guy could honestly say he had a pad between his legs, and not feel *funny* about it....

12-14-09 03:34 PM
    It'd be the only time a guy could honestly say he had a pad between his legs, and not feel *funny* about it....

LOL! Oh wait, hold on just a second, I need to check my Pad.

12-18-09 12:45 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD