Ok, my phone is giving me a blank white screen...what is the deal? i didnt drop it or do anything, i just picked it up, hit a button to bring the main screen up, and it was blank white, i switched out my batteries and let it charge, it worked for a bit, now its doing it again, what causes this?
    11-22-07 04:06 PM
    ok now its not doing it...strange
    11-22-07 04:12 PM
    I suggest you do a battery pull nonetheless...
    11-22-07 04:16 PM
    I suggest you do a battery pull nonetheless...
    already have

phone is acting just fine now..i dont get why that happened
    11-22-07 04:21 PM
    ok so ya..it keeps doing it off and on...this doesnt make sense, ive done the battery pull, it works for a short time, then it does it again, then it'll work alright, then back to the white screen....bah
    11-22-07 05:14 PM
    Mine does the same thing, but it is fine one day and then does it the next day. It turns from all white when I move the rollerball over the area, or go to a different screen. Is this common or should I take it to customer care. I have only had the phone 2 weeks so if this is not common I want to get it taken care of.
    12-08-07 08:14 AM
    I read this a few days ago and my Pearl seems to be doing the same thing. 3 times in one day now.

I've done the battery pull and it will work for a while but then I go to use it and the screen starts getting funky with like the refresh or something. it slowing fades out to white and won't come back on.

I've had mine over 30 days now (of course) and my cell company just became part of the At&t family as of this monday. I don't know what to do...I can't recreate the issue on command, its random so....I hope someone has a fix or do I need to return this baby and get a curve replacement? wah!
    12-12-07 02:31 AM
    Mine is doing the same thing, does anyones know how to fix this?????? I cant live without my blackberry any longer!!!
    01-08-08 01:12 AM
    make a backup of the device using Desktop Manager, if you can before doing the following:

How do I wipe the BlackBerry using Jl Cmder? - BlackBerryFAQ

What to do next if Jl Cmder will not connect and wipe - BlackBerryFAQ
    01-08-08 01:18 AM
    has anyone come up with a solution to this random white screen? mine was doing it all day one day and none the next, i read on another post switching to a low resolution wallapaper will solve the problem, its yet to do it but does this mean it solved?
    04-05-08 09:48 AM
    has anyone come up with a solution to this random white screen? mine was doing it all day one day and none the next, i read on another post switching to a low resolution wallapaper will solve the problem, its yet to do it but does this mean it solved?
    I'm having the same problem, and so is my g/f with the same phone (VZW). I think it's related to low memory, but that's just a guess. I'm amazed at how little RAM these things come with, and how I'm constantly worried I'm running out of memory, have to do battery pulls, etc...this is supposed to be a "smart" phone, but so far, I'm less than impressed.

It seems a lot of people are having this issue, but I have yet to find a solution other than a battery pull.
    04-08-08 09:56 AM
    It happens to mine as well (8130). I don't think it's hardware, but related to the software (OS). I thought it might be a conflict with the memory card I have installed (8gb Sandisk) but I know of another user who has the same Pearl, but no memory card. I contacted RIM and suggested I reload the OS (already have) and then they pretended they never heard of it, and suggested that I return the phone. BS.

Anyway, a quick fix is to hold down the standby button for 3-4 seconds (or until the screen goes black) and then hit the standby button again and everything will be back to normal.

Also, I highly doubt it's a memory issue as I've tweaked mine to minimize the chance of the memory leak issue, and I regularly check the status page to see where I'm at.
    06-20-08 10:43 PM
    I've had this same problem as well, it did it almost every day there for a while but hasn't done it in a long time since (knock on wood). Believe it or not it would only fix when i would "hit" the screen, kind of give it a little thump with my knuckle and then turn it on and turn it off again and then it would be fine.
    07-02-08 08:32 AM
    Do what John C says but also sync to Outlook as soon as you can. Syncing often saves your data in a more accessible manner than a Backup. It is a very good idea to have two seperate backup sources for your personal data.

Sync and Backup.
    07-02-08 09:04 AM
    has anyone come up with a solution to this random white screen? mine was doing it all day one day and none the next, i read on another post switching to a low resolution wallpaper will solve the problem, its yet to do it but does this mean it solved?
    I am having this problem too with an 8130 I've had for two weeks. This happens several times a day. I have made some observations:

1. Seems to only happen when the device is changing screens, or going from no screen (dark/idle) to any screen. For example, the phone is idle and I hear a text message or email come in. I press a button on the phone to view the message (such as the left key convenience key which is 'messages' on mine). The screen will come on for 1/2 second then immediately go to the fading/scrambled screen that goes to white. I can usually hold the power button and get it to turn off. Turn it back on and all seems fine; no loss of data or anything out of place.

2. Seemed to only do it when my 8gb Sandisc MicroSD card was in the Pearl. I thought maybe it was a conflict with the card so I tested it for a few days without the card installed. No lock ups, no white screen! Hmmm. I'm thinking a mem card problem or hardware issue on the Pearl. Was planning to go to Sprint this weekend to see about getting another Pearl to try, and was going to try another mem card.

3. Then, I read this post after two weeks of dealing with this problem. Noticed the part about high rez wallpapers. It just so happens that when my mem card was installed, that is also when I was using a high rez pic for my wallpaper. See, each time I put the card back in, I copied over a few pictures and MP3's to make sure things were working correctly. Each time I did this I ended up replacing the boring default home screen with a nice wallpaper of my 2-month old boy. Hmmmm. So maybe the problem is not the card, not the Pearl hardware, but the high rez wallpaper which I configured from the camera application (view pics, select pic, zoom to fit, set as screen saver). I ASSumed that the camera app was optimizing the picture for the Pearl's screen. Am I wrong?

So now I have removed the wallpaper and I'm running the Pearl with no wallpaper for a few days to see if that made any difference at all. The mem card is installed so I will know by the end of the day if things have improved or not. Will reply back to this in a few days with the results. Thanks for reading.
    07-16-08 04:15 PM
    I didn't make it 12 hours. A text came in this morning and the second I pressed a button (it was the trackball this time) to turn on the screen, it faded to the white screen and had to be rebooted to get the screen back.

Going to Sprint today to see about getting another Pearl to try.
    07-17-08 09:12 AM
    Have you added any themes lately? I had the issue once with a theme I had purchased online. I deleted the theme and the problem went away.

Hope this helps.
    07-17-08 11:14 AM
    Thanks for the idea. I haven't installed any themes at all. In fact, I reinstalled the OS and didn't change a single thing, used all the default settings, and it still crashed with the freaked out screen that fades to white when the phone was coming out of idle/blank screen mode.

The good news is, I got a replacement Pearl at noon yesterday AND... have not had a single problem yet. My 8gb microsd card is installed and working perfectly. If I can go another day or two I'll be very happy. Love this phone.
    07-18-08 09:40 PM
    I've had my 8100 Pearl since May 06. In Feb 07 (within warranty) it did the white/light screen thing for about 36 hours. I was out of the US and somewhere in that trip my phone loaded FACEBOOK which I didn't have before.

occaisionally in that 36hour time I would get a scrambled screen that would go blank again when I hit buttons.

Could make and send calls. Photo and voice options would initiate but no screen.

Pulled battery, charged phone, on/off/on phone ... nothing worked -- just started working again.

approx 48 hours ago -- pulled phone from holster to blank/light screen.

had scrambled screen a couple times but pushed buttons and white again.

backed up
    loaded upgraded software
    pulled battery
    charged

spent over 5 hours on phone with T-mobile and blackberry

their only solution is that it is hardware at this point. pay 190 to fix or 230 to get a replacement phone

Anyone with any ideas besides throw it against a wall??????

I'm trying John C jl cmder wipe as listed above as I type this.

B
    08-20-08 10:39 AM
    B -
    Any luck yet? I had to get a new Pearl. I tried multiple wipes/reloads and nothing solved it. Good luck.
    08-22-08 06:52 AM
    I live in New Zealand and I got my phone from Vodafone a few months back.
    After about 2 weeks, this exact issue happened to me. I did basically all the same things as 'janitor' here.

The thing is, I sent it back to Vodafone and they gave me a new 8100. I put in my sim card and 2 days later. BOOM. same stupid scrambled/white screen issues.

Here's the kicker tho... I dig up my old phone, put in the Sim card and strangely the phone won't pick up that I put in the sim card.... Could this be an issue? I'm not technically knowledgable in this area but I ain't putting this sim card into my 3rd blackberry(has yet to arrive....) Hopefully issue won't happen again....

Will keep u posted....
    08-23-08 05:19 AM
    Ahh, I know what you guys are talking about now. I got my phone used, though in excellent condition and its doing the same. I thought that maybe, this was why the previous owner was selling it.

Mine happens when I try to go to the media ctr. White screen with a hourglass. I have had to battery pull before to help it get out of its funk.

How strange...

This was happening before I even started adding themes, applications to the phone.
    08-23-08 10:28 AM
    Mine has done the same! Except that after the white screen appears my phone turned off and the LED flashes red. After numerous batt pulls and 8 hours of waiting, im contemplating attempting that software reload. It looks difficult *sigh*
    08-26-08 02:30 AM
    I have now got the white screen also, had my 8100 for 18months & first time its happened, I pickd phone up to answer a call & all these lines went across screen & then it slowly faded out to white
    09-01-08 08:24 AM
    Per my dealer here,

The BB pearls have a software issue that causes loss of data and such. He had us install upgraded memory to correct it.
    01-17-09 11:59 AM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD