Hi all

I bought a BB Pearl 8100 of e-comm site (so no warranty :-( *sigh*) and it was working fine.

Then the Pearl started displaying a battery symbol with line through it after a recharge. Sometimes this would go away after being reinserted and it would start working again... but just recently it has got worse.

When I turn the BB on i see the battery with line through it. There is no way to turn it off other than take the battery out.
    When the BB runs out of battery and then recharge it, most of the time it starts ok - with or without a SIM inserted.

However, if a SIM is not inserted and you then insert one, the battery + line appears again (because it has to be turned of and on again ;-).

Any ideas please? Software / hardware?

Regards and appreciate the help
    Craig.
    03-22-09 03:11 PM
    It sounds like a defective battery. Get another one and see if that solves the problem.
    03-22-09 03:13 PM
    Thatnks for the reply, however this is the second battery I've bought. As well as well trying other batteries from other functioning BBs and this battery charges in other BBs ok.
    03-22-09 03:32 PM
    Sounds more likely to be a hardware issue, but it's a lot easier to eliminate the software first. You didn't state which OS your on, but if you follow this, it will upgrade you to the latest OS. Then if you still have trouble, I can post a link to taking it apart, so you can examine the connections.
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f5/upgr...step-z-188139/
    03-22-09 06:30 PM
    Hi BigBadWolf

Thanks for the help.

I first tried your instructions with a working BB. In Desktop Manager the PIN showed ok and I backed up the device data.
    However, when I launched CrackMem a message saying "No Operating System found" was displayed. In CrackMem the 'Select OS' box did not show anything. Is this right?

Second, when I tried the busted BB I still saw the Battery+Line but no luck with Desktop Manager. The PIN was listed but did not allow to Backup phone.

You say you have instructions on taking it apart, which i guess is next logical step. If you could send me those then I'd very much appreciate it.

Regards
    Craig
    03-24-09 05:38 AM
    Before you tear it apart:
    1. After you downloaded the OS, did you install it? If you did, was it on your C drive?
    2. That your pin registered, but back up didn't occur, weird! If your not worried about loosing info, document your pertinent info on your 3rd party apps. Try to use CrackMem to upgrade, and if that doesn't work, look up "recovering a dead BB" in the tips forum and try that method.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-24-09 05:59 AM
    The OS file you had linked to downloads a file called '8100EastAsia...indosat.exe' file. Am I suppose to "install" this?

When I double-click to setup it says "Error reading setup initialisation file".

Am I doing something wrong?
    03-24-09 09:46 AM
    The EastAsia OS is the "most upgraded" version of the OS for the 8100. A few carriers have not officially updated to the 4.5.x.xxx OS yet (though, TMO just did today). That is the right OS.

Make sure that your Desktop/Device manager is not running, that your phone is not connected to the computer. I had that same issue when upgrading, but I did these steps and all worked wonderfully.

After you install the OS to your computer (providing your Desktop/Device manager is running version 4.7), you may re-connect your device and it should automatically detect an update.

Hope that helps you a little...
    03-24-09 10:38 AM
    Hi

I downloaded the OS file again and it worked ok this time.

I followed the instructions (as accurately as possible) and during the OS install it fails with this message: "Unable to reconnect to the device during a multi-stage load operation".

Problem still seems to be that the BB is not showing as connected in Desktop Mgr. This has always been the case.

Although the device pin appears in the list and stays selected, it still says "Device Connected (PIN): None".

I followed the instructions for "recovering a dead bb" and they seem very similar to yours, except use RIM's own Loader app. However, I had no luck with this so was wondering how to take it apart and check the hardware as a next (and final) resource.

Regards
    Craig.
    03-24-09 05:14 PM
    Sorry that didn't work. Hopefully this will.

I don't know if the mobile link will work. I'll n home soon, so repost if you need the normal link.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-24-09 06:26 PM
    I have taken the BB apart and still only get the battery symbol.

Can i do a hard reset or something to get it going?
    04-21-09 12:59 PM
    Thats awful!
    04-21-09 05:35 PM
    I have taken the BB apart and still only get the battery symbol.

Can i do a hard reset or something to get it going?
    Try one of these to get it to stay connected:

View Document

*Solution* - Cannot connect BlackBerry to Desktop Manager � Ozan Safi

Since you said you had a good back up, you can also try:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/how-...l_cmder-53502/

If none of these do it, I'm gonna kick your berries b*tt!
    04-21-09 06:27 PM
    this does not sound like a bb software issue. Seems to be a battery issue. If you have a friend with a bb pearl, i'd try that battery out to see if it has the same affect.
    04-25-09 04:48 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD