The user guide states that the mute button on top of the phone is the "standby" button. However, it doesn't really state what the button does.

Is pressing the standby button a quick way to turn off the ringer if you need your phone to be silent? For example, if I walk into a room in which I need my phone to be silent, can I just press the standby button?
    11-11-07 01:32 AM
    i know standby will not allow your buttons to be activated lets say while your phone is in your pocket,no movement will make it dial by accident,whether you can still receive texts or anything else im unsure of,i came from a razr so havin that thing goin off and buttons beeping in my pocket was a pain till i figured out the standby option..im sure we will get the complete answer here shortly
    11-11-07 01:43 AM
    yeah, you can still receive all your info, texts, and calls, the phone will come back on. the alarm sounds as well.

its just a way to conserve power.
    11-11-07 02:14 AM
    Yes !!!Spicy is right! by the way love the boondock saint's my favorite Movie. The standby mode comes in handy for me as I go 2 and 3 days with out charging It has saved me a few times.
    11-12-07 01:26 AM
    The standby mode comes in handy for me as I go 2 and 3 days with out charging It has saved me a few times.
    I agree "Mike d" the standby saves my battery more than you could imagine. I'm always in standby and I receive all notifications as if it was on.
    11-12-07 11:32 AM
    If stand-by is designed to prevent keys from pressing while the phone is in your pocket, how is stand-by different from the keypad lock?
    11-12-07 11:35 AM
    The Standy mode is very useful if you have a magnetized holster. By placing the phone into the holster, it automatically goes into Standby. Remove it from the holster, and it takes you back to the main screen. You can also change your notification settings to make them specific to in-holster vs out-of-holster. With the holster, there is no need to press any additional keys nor lock the keyboard.
    11-12-07 11:50 AM
    The Standy mode is very useful if you have a magnetized holster. By placing the phone into the holster, it automatically goes into Standby. Remove it from the holster, and it takes you back to the main screen. You can also change your notification settings to make them specific to in-holster vs out-of-holster. With the holster, there is no need to press any additional keys nor lock the keyboard.
    That's pretty cool! I didn't realize that. I have a magnetized holster, but I kept locking the keypad prior to putting it in the holster. That's cool that I don't need to do that.

Thanks!
    11-12-07 12:06 PM
    That's pretty cool! I didn't realize that. I have a magnetized holster, but I kept locking the keypad prior to putting it in the holster. That's cool that I don't need to do that.

Thanks!
    I have a oem magnetic holster too. How can I test to see what you're talking about.. when I slide in my 8900, the phone screen stays lit...

update: didnt realize this forum was 2 years old.. omg
    03-17-09 12:32 AM
    That's ok, at least your searching. Your screen should turn off in a second or 2, and pressing any key will do nothing. If not you may think you have a magnetic holster, but do not. You can also check by placing the BB outside the holster, in the same position as it would be in. I do that when I'm home. That way it's in sleep mode for the battery, and if I get a message, when I pick it up the message automatically opens.
    When I got my Pearl, it came with a pocket pouch that contained a magnet, but the holster had none. Maybe that is the case with yours too?
    03-17-09 04:25 AM
    sweet! i was afraid of standby until i read this...thanks guys
    03-17-09 08:55 AM
    standby is good, but i always forget to put my phone on standby when i just throw my bb into my purse.
    03-17-09 08:57 AM
    whats the difference between standby and keylock?

Lets assume this has nothing to do with the holster.
    07-29-09 12:11 AM
    Standby saves power, keylock just locks the keypad. Im assuming it has to do with say the volume rocker and side convenience buttons. Standby completely locks down the phone from being activated unless unholstered or returned from standby.

Btw, thanks BigBadWulf, I had no idea that the pouch it came with did that! haha
    07-29-09 01:27 AM
    what functions does standbye actually disable to conserve power other than turn the screen off?
    09-10-09 08:42 AM
    what functions does standbye actually disable to conserve power other than turn the screen off?
    That should be it Tony. It doesn't change your profile setting or anything else.

Never gotten an opportunity before, but love the screen name by the way.

The Keeper of Useless Knowledge

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-10-09 08:49 AM
    Sweet thread. I'm going to leave it on standby while I'm at work now!
    09-10-09 12:17 PM
    I think my phone is stuck in standby mode =/ Like I can scroll around with the trackball but i can't click anything or use my keypad.. any ideas guys?
    09-10-09 05:10 PM
    I think my phone is stuck in standby mode =/ Like I can scroll around with the trackball but i can't click anything or use my keypad.. any ideas guys?
    If your phone was stuck in Standby, you wouldn't be able to see anything on your screen. Standby turns your screen off and basically locks the phone until you push the standby button again. I'm not sure what's wrong with your phone, but I would suggest doing a battery pull and see if that resolves it.
    09-12-09 04:34 PM
    Have a look at this thread and check out post #13 http://forums.crackberry.com/f100/do...standby-170950
    09-13-09 03:04 AM
    Well what happen was it was on standyby then i went to check the time and when i went to put it on standy by again my keyboard was locked. It randomly typed Q and E from time to time... I tired the battery pull no luck, I tired unlocking the keyboard no luck ether.. =/
    09-15-09 02:32 PM
    You have all helped me so much, I have no holster, but I will definatley be putting my phone in standby while in my purse @ work all day!!! Thanks so much!
    06-09-10 09:47 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD