Hey everyone -- I don't have a Pearl (I have a Samsung dumb-phone), but I was wondering a couple things. I have one more month until I can get a new phone so it's crunch time!

I have Verizon so I would have to tack on $29.99 to my monthly bill or change to an e-mail plan. For those of you that have to pay extra for a data plan, do you find that you get good use of the features covered by the data plan or is it sort of a waste of money, for lack of a better way of putting it??

and also, what are YOUR main uses for the pearl?

I'm pretty sure this is the phone for me but I want to make sure. You all know how the contract thing goes
    06-11-08 05:03 PM
    Welcome to CB.

First and foremost, DO get a data plan. You need it to surf the internet, email, and use BB messenger. You definitely want to go with the unlimited data plan, as you will go through your alotted amount quickly, and after that you get charged for overages - not pretty.

I had the Pearl from Verizon for about 6 months before upgrading to the Curve. Not that the Pearl wasn't a good phone, I just needed more memoury. I use my phone primarily for business, and therefore store a ton of contacts, emails, etc. I also email back and forth all day, so the qwerty keyboard on the Curve was a good choice for me.

The Pearl features SureType, which is like a sort of predictive text that learns the way you type and words you use frequently and adapts itself to your needs. It's great. Also the size is perfect, IMHO. All in all, it really is a nice little phone....
    06-11-08 05:13 PM
    IMHO I would spend a little more and go with the curve. I think the curve makes using the internet easier and funner. and that way you would probably get better use out of your 29.99 unlimited package... Ive got the Pearl and my wife has the Curve, so ive got to play with both and I like the Curve so much better. As for the suretype.... yeah its cool, but its a pain in the **** sometimes too!

I dont really email too much, but I text like crazy! I use bbm and jivetalk quiet a bit. I also like to use youtube on it. When ever im having a bad day I go to you tube and type in "charlie bit me" and watch it! I also use it to listen to music too! So dont get me wrong, the pearl is a great phone. I would just rather have the full keyboard!

btw jivetalk, music, youtube all drain the battery fast!
    Last edited by Sensesfail99; 06-11-08 at 05:30 PM.
    06-11-08 05:23 PM
    I have a pearl and love it. I like the size of the pearl but the bigger screen on the curve or other berries is pretty nice. I may switch to a curve in a few months.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-11-08 05:27 PM
    I have a BB Pearl with Verizon. I use mine as a phone first and foremost. Secondly, I use the calendar more than any of the other apps. I like that you can sync with Outlook. As for the data plan, I think you should be able to just buy the phone without the data plan, but with Verizon you can't. I definitely don't use the internet browser, messenger, maps or any of the other data usage apps near enough to justify $30 a month.
    06-11-08 05:40 PM
    I have a BB Pearl with Verizon. I use mine as a phone first and foremost. Secondly, I use the calendar more than any of the other apps. I like that you can sync with Outlook. As for the data plan, I think you should be able to just buy the phone without the data plan, but with Verizon you can't. I definitely don't use the internet browser, messenger, maps or any of the other data usage apps near enough to justify $30 a month.

That's what I'm afraid of. I'm around computers all day long - at work and at home, so I don't know how much I'd use the browser. I more need it for its productivity ie calendar, and useful apps etc. I would more than likely get my e-mail on it since it's an option... but, I wish you could get a cheap-o data plan in the case you ever need the browser but don't use it quite enough to pay $30 when that can go towards home high speed internet access.
    06-11-08 05:50 PM
    hmm..my beloved pearl.
    i use it for

*a phone
    *messaging
    *calender
    *email
    *then comes the data.
    im probably on the internet daily. , the i use theGPS etc.

i think its worth the extra $30/mo
    06-11-08 06:04 PM
    Yes, do get a data plan. Having data gives you the "true" Blackberry experience and will allow you to use things like Google maps.

I use my Pearl as a phone, sms, im and email, but also for it's PDA features to keep track of both work and personal stuff. It's come in handy a few times on the go for looking up movies times etc.

If you're looking for a Blackberry with a phone form factor the Pearl is it. What you'll trade off is the larger screen and full keyboard which you'll get with the Curve. SureType was a little frustrating at first, but once you get the hang of it, it's great - a lot better than using Tap, iTap or T9. 95% of the time you can pretty much type away on it like you would a full QWERTY keyboard. If you decide you want a Blackberry, I'd visit the store and try out both the Curve and the Pearl before making your decision on which model to get.
    06-11-08 06:19 PM
    Hail to the pearl.I love it

06-11-08 06:34 PM
    I see you're with Verizon - all the folks that mention using maps and/or GPS programs - you know you won't be able to use them (at least the tracking features) w/o paying the $9.99 a month for the VZ Navigator, right?

Aside from that -

Spring for the data package. Yes, it's $30 a month, but it's unlimited data. Surf the web while standing in line at the bank. Send e-mails while getting your toes done. Get Viigo feeds of whatever topics tickle your fancy. Subscribe to crazy newsletters about topics you're interested in. Follow the links in an article you find interesting. Update your facebook/twitter/myspace/whatever. Blog. Read blogs. Comment on blogs. E-mail your friends about how blogs are stupid. Whatever.

My humble advice - skip a couple of mocha-frappaccino-latte things a month and get the data plan. Enjoy.
    06-11-08 06:38 PM
    Spring for the data package. Yes, it's $30 a month, but it's unlimited data. Surf the web while standing in line at the bank. Send e-mails while getting your toes done. Get Viigo feeds of whatever topics tickle your fancy. Subscribe to crazy newsletters about topics you're interested in. Follow the links in an article you find interesting. Update your facebook/twitter/myspace/whatever. Blog. Read blogs. Comment on blogs. E-mail your friends about how blogs are stupid. Whatever.
    If I got a Pearl/Curve I would definitely get the data plan - and anyway, with Verizon it's not optional. I just wanted to know from other people if it's worth it, how much use they get out of it and basically if you get your money's worth.

But you've got some good ideas. Is there a way to save sites ie blogs without having to type in the URL everytime?

Thanks for all of the feedback so far everyone!
    06-11-08 06:50 PM
    If I got a Pearl/Curve I would definitely get the data plan - and anyway, with Verizon it's not optional. I just wanted to know from other people if it's worth it, how much use they get out of it and basically if you get your money's worth.

But you've got some good ideas. Is there a way to save sites ie blogs without having to type in the URL everytime?

Thanks for all of the feedback so far everyone!
    are you talking about making a bookmark? Like how at home you just add a favorite? if so of course! Bookmarks!!!!
    06-11-08 09:01 PM
    I don't have a data plan; however, I do use my Pearl for quite a few things:

- Texting
    - Calling
    - Taking pictures (We always have family gatherings!)
    - Alarm clock
    - Keeping track of personal things (calender, notes, etc.)

A data plan would be nice and I will look into it in the future but as of now, I have no use for it personally.

EDIT: And I love SureType. Maybe it's a hate it or like it kind of a thing?
    06-11-08 09:34 PM
    IMHO I would spend a little more and go with the curve. I think the curve makes using the internet easier and funner...
    First of all, don't take advice from a guy who uses "funner" in a sentence. Besides, this is the Pearl thread so go with a Pearl. For me the Pearl's compact size is more important than the full qwerty keyboard and the extra memory that comes with the Curve. But then again, I'm not one of those people that expects my smart phone to do everything for me and get all whiny when it can't do my laundry. I use my Pearl as a supplement to my PC rather than trying to use it as a replacement...

In terms of usage (ordered in usage amounts):
    1. Email, Calendar, Tasks sync with Exchange Server
    2. Phone
    3. Alarm clock
    4. Social communications - Facebook, Twittering, Txting, etc.
    5. Weather
    6. Browsing the web - Crackberry, BoA, E*Trade, etc.

Although I hear that E*Trade is coming out with a new app that integrates pretty well with the BB so that should be interesting.

In conclusion, if you want to do EVERYTHING with your phone, get a Curve or Bold. If you just want a supplement and don't want a brick hanging on your belt or lounging in your pockets, get a Pearl.

If you really want your phone to do EVERYTHING, then go with a Centro on the Palm OS and you'll have a lot more choices in third party apps.
    06-11-08 11:01 PM
    I have sprint. I use it for: texting, weather, internet, these forums, aim, email, getting the news. I love it all!
    06-12-08 07:44 AM
    I love my pearl..I looked at the curve but I like the ease of the smaller pearl.
    I use it for text messaging, emails, web browsing, phone, notes, calender mostly daily and business agenda.

I have a mp3 player & a digi cam so I don't waste much memory on music or pics and such.
    06-12-08 07:52 AM
    i have the data plan and i find myself using my phone for texting alot and i also get my emails from my personal email on it . which is good because if there is something important that needs my attention i can address it.
    i have the unlimited everything package and the data plan but i was under the impression that its mandatory that u get the data plan. yeah my bill a bit more then it was before but not really since before i had to pay for a plan for texting because i do it alot all day.
    06-12-08 10:40 AM
    As a Sprint dealer it interests me to hear all these comments about whether or not to get the data plan. We CAN'T activate a Blackberry (or Palm, or Moto Q or any PDA/smartphone device) without the appropriate data plan. Doing so not only eliminates our commission (gotta pay the bills, folks) but also voids rebate eligibility for the customer. So, if you can cajole a dealer into activating or upgrading your whatchamacallit to a Pearl/Curve etc without data be aware you're paying $100 (> or <, depending on carrier terms) over what you'd expect the unit to net at.

A Blackberry without data? No email, web? How amazingly pointless.

BTW when I say eliminates our commission that gives the mistaken impression that we break even instead of making a profit. In fact we'd lose bigtime since this very difficult business model has us pay close to the inflated SRP price upfront for our inventory and then get a "dealer rebate" after qualified activation which almost zero's out our cost of the phone.

I know, no tear for dealers, just explaining a largely unknown biz deal from the other side of the fence.
    06-12-08 10:46 AM
    well first my pearl is a phone. i text about 7,000 a month so i love the suretype and such.

i love the calendar function an how a window pops up as a reminder when something is coming up.

i love the twitterberry application, i use it daily.

i love the free apps i've gotten.

i love having the data plan cuz if i'm out somewhere and not at a computer, i can still check ebay or myspace or movie times.

when i go out of town, i'd much rather use google maps than buying an expensive gps when i have one in my hand.

all in all i love the pearl. it's totally customizable for personal use or business or a nice balance inbetween.

it's totally worth it, and it's not huge! the memory leak hasn't been a problem for me. if i see it getting low, i use my softreset app and i'm back at 17.
    06-12-08 01:21 PM
    well first my pearl is a phone. i text about 7,000 a month so i love the suretype and such.

i love the calendar function an how a window pops up as a reminder when something is coming up.

i love the twitterberry application, i use it daily.

i love the free apps i've gotten.

i love having the data plan cuz if i'm out somewhere and not at a computer, i can still check ebay or myspace or movie times.

when i go out of town, i'd much rather use google maps than buying an expensive gps when i have one in my hand.

all in all i love the pearl. it's totally customizable for personal use or business or a nice balance inbetween.

it's totally worth it, and it's not huge! the memory leak hasn't been a problem for me. if i see it getting low, i use my softreset app and i'm back at 17.
    so true> i cant count how many times ive used my gmaps, sprint nav or BBmaps to get somewhere and the sound is even loud enough that i can listen to my music low and still hear the turn by turn directions
    06-12-08 02:15 PM
    hmm..my beloved pearl.
    i use it for

*a phone
    *messaging
    *calender
    *email
    *then comes the data.
    im probably on the internet daily. , the i use theGPS etc.

i think its worth the extra $30/mo

Same here
    06-12-08 02:40 PM
    i have the data plan and i find myself using my phone for texting alot and i also get my emails from my personal email on it . which is good because if there is something important that needs my attention i can address it.
    i have the unlimited everything package and the data plan but i was under the impression that its mandatory that u get the data plan. yeah my bill a bit more then it was before but not really since before i had to pay for a plan for texting because i do it alot all day.
    Are you saying that with the $30/month data plan you don't have to pay for the texting plan? Like right now I think I have 1500 text messages for people who don't have verizon and unlimited in messaging and that's $15/month. If I got the data plan, would I not need the $15 text messaging plan??

Thanks everyone for responding to this thread!
    06-12-08 03:45 PM
    Are you saying that with the $30/month data plan you don't have to pay for the texting plan? Like right now I think I have 1500 text messages for people who don't have verizon and unlimited in messaging and that's $15/month. If I got the data plan, would I not need the $15 text messaging plan??

You will need a texting plan as well. Basically, there are three types of service you're getting on your BB - phone (gotta have a minutes plan), data (for email, GPS, web, etc) and texting.

If you plan on texting, a data plan won't replace that... unless you send e-mails back & forth (that uses data) or use the [free] BlackBerry messenger. Of course, e-mails only work if who you're sending to is at their computer or has a smartphone w/ e-mail access... and BB messenger will only work if both have BBs, so... looks like you'll need a data and text plan.
    06-12-08 04:19 PM
    I have Alltel and the 8130 and I love it! The SureType takes a little to get used to, but its pretty fabulous! My phone is used for personal reasons, although if I start working from a home offixe for my job like I've been offered, I will probably try and integrate some of my work into it. As far as personal reasons, I love being able to get my emails and I constantly text, so its great for me!

Its a nice bonus that with alltel you don't have to pay extra for a data plan, however you do have to have a smartphone plan. They aren't too bad though and they come with unlimited data

06-12-08 04:45 PM

You will need a texting plan as well. Basically, there are three types of service you're getting on your BB - phone (gotta have a minutes plan), data (for email, GPS, web, etc) and texting.

If you plan on texting, a data plan won't replace that... unless you send e-mails back & forth (that uses data) or use the [free] BlackBerry messenger. Of course, e-mails only work if who you're sending to is at their computer or has a smartphone w/ e-mail access... and BB messenger will only work if both have BBs, so... looks like you'll need a data and text plan.
    unltd text/data is included in my BB package.

that sucks if u have to pay extra on top of the BB plan
    06-12-08 05:12 PM
39 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD