I just got my memory card for pics and whatnot at lunch today (1 gig) but was wondering what is considered the optimal amount of free memory on the phone to keep it running smoothly?
    06-20-08 01:20 PM
    Around 12,000,000 bytes in my opinion.
    06-20-08 01:24 PM
    I agree Sunkast, that is the magic number. Search how to increase free file and that will help you out alot...
    06-20-08 02:04 PM
    Around 12,000,000 bytes in my opinion.

eh so im doing good sitting at 23-25(000,000)
    06-20-08 02:31 PM
    eh so im doing good sitting at 23-25(000,000)
    how did you manage that some times i have 16 megs and all the way down to 12megs.
    06-20-08 10:09 PM
    I deleted a lot of junk from my phone all stock photos the video all vendors themes unused secive books

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-20-08 10:34 PM
    12-15 is what I hear around here.

The most I have ever seen free on My pearl is 22!

06-20-08 11:32 PM
    Mine worked well at 11 as well but then I removed some junk and did a soft reset to get it to 17+ just to be safe
    06-20-08 11:51 PM
    I have 16mb on os 4.5 beta 8120. I have removed most stuff bu am due for a soft reset
    06-21-08 06:19 AM
    I deleted stock photos unused service books useless apps unlocked then deleted all but the 4 stock BB themes

Ditched opera mini and viigo.

I have the basic programs and pacman
    , soft reset,BB msg, and soon contra

And a 2 gig SD chip

06-21-08 07:03 AM
    I can't get rid of Viigo, all the news you want with only one icon to click. I figured out that with Viigo, if you go to options and adjust how many articles you receive, articles per channel, and how often it updates, it doesn't really use that much memory. On the other hand, i recommend properly exiting out of the program when finished(hit menu button, scroll down and select close) whenever you open it up it will update right then and there. The number 1 thing i recommend is memory optimization. There is a thread called 'how to increase free file", use that as a walkthrough when you are connected to Desktop Manager. From there, follow Stoner's instructions on how to remove preloaded pictures, applications, vendor themes, PTT(push to talk) and a few other things that you do not need. If you just got your Berry a few things you can do right off the bat are: Go to options>advanced options>Applications> and delete the BlackBerry sample video, Russian and Semetic launguages, Things like memopad, etc. If you are not using it, get rid of it. Then go to media>options>scroll down to reserved picture memory, and set to zero. This will give you 2mg. free file alone. Be sure from time to time when you are using your Browser go to options>cache operations, and clear your web cache and cookies...
    06-21-08 10:08 AM
    I deleted a lot of junk from my phone all stock photos the video all vendors themes unused secive books

How do you delete the stock photos and stuff? I don't use them at all and would love to get rid of them.

Thanks!
    06-10-09 09:03 AM
    I've had my pearl down to 5mb and it still worked ok and it didn't delete anything. I try to do a battery pull least twice a week.
    06-10-09 09:37 AM
    I have just over 12mb free and my Pearl is running very smoothly. I've got Viigo and some other apps too, and I've never had any problems.
    06-10-09 03:23 PM
    I've had my pearl down to 5mb and it still worked ok and it didn't delete anything. I try to do a battery pull least twice a week.
    This thread was created when the upgrade to v4.5xx software was still in testing.

Several memory managment features have been introduced with v4.5. In particular, the minimum setting for Device Reserved Memory is now 5 Mb. In the past, 12 Mb was the minimum.

Sample pictures and other space wasting stuff have also been removed.

06-10-09 05:47 PM
    I try to keep it above 11 MB at all times. It starts to get buggy when it gets lower than 10.
    06-12-09 09:09 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD