Hi guys,
    I have searched the forums, and google extensively. I dropped my Pearl into water last night, and took the battery out right away. Well before I went to bed I tried the phone and it turned on but the buttons wouldnt work. So today, I tried it and it works 100%.

The only problem is that it won't pick up a wireless signal anymore. No matter where I am, there is always an 'X' for my strength indicator. Is this a common/ easily fixable problem??
    02-24-08 12:35 PM
    Do you carry insurance on the device?
    02-24-08 12:51 PM
    You really need to let it dry a a few more days before you fry it...

The milk probably has left a film covering something, like maybe the contacts on the SIM card? Try cleaning the SIM card and the gold contacts with an only slight damp alcohol pad or Q-tip, and reinsert.

You can trouble shoot this by trying a friend's Telus SIM in your BB, or your SIM in another phone.
    02-24-08 12:51 PM
    Sanders,
    Thanks for the reply, however, my phone does not have a SIM card. It's not the CDMA network.

Should I take the phone completely apart and clean it up some? Will this void the warranty? Well I suppose the stickers have turned red on me already so I might as well
    02-24-08 12:58 PM
    You're right that taking it apart will void the warranty, but so will getting it wet. On YouTube, there is a step by step video on taking apart the 8100 if you can find it.
    02-24-08 02:48 PM
    Did you check if you got network on on your "manage connections"
    02-24-08 04:38 PM
    Did you check if you got network on on your "manage connections"
    Good call.

Correct, it doesn't have a SIM, I was trying to figure what a film of sticky dried milk by gunk up the contact. But there are many other places.
    Last edited by jsanders; 02-24-08 at 05:06 PM.
    02-24-08 05:03 PM
    Well, all is well with my poor blackberry again!

I let it sit under my desk lamp for about an hour at a 5 inch distance. Then I threw the battery back in and it works perfectly. Don't know if I'd reccomend that solution to anyone, because it was slightly dumb, but it worked. Thanks for the responses guys.

It was only 18 hours, but it was **** not having it.
    02-25-08 12:08 AM
    doesn't your insurance cover water damage? =X
    02-25-08 12:15 AM
    Also placing it in a sealed bag of dry white rice seems to help draw out the moisture.
    02-25-08 04:26 AM
    can someone point out where he said it was milk that he spilled on it? I only see that he spilled water on it. I hope I'm not going blind!!!
    02-25-08 07:46 PM
    Every time I get something that has one of those little silicon packs in it (the delicious ones that say not to eat them) I put them in a sealed jar, because apparently their one job is to suck the moisture out of whatever they came with.. From what i've read this does an even better job than the white rice! I haven't (knock on wood) gotten my phone wet yet, but I have quite a rediculous suppy of silicon packs haha
    02-25-08 08:18 PM
    The milk probably has left a film covering something, like maybe the contacts on the SIM card?
    Wait, what milk? I want to hear the background story!
    02-25-08 08:25 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD