I just got the blackberry today, and after tinkering with it a bit, I notice now that the volume keys don't actually change anything. Has anyone else had a problem with this and is there a way to fix it?

Also, does the mute button just put the phone into standby? Or can it actually just quickly silence the phone?

Edit: Or does the volume keys on the right side of the pearl not designed to work with changing the volume of incoming calls and whatnot, and is the only way to change it through profiles? Cause I just tested the volume control on the media app playing a song and it works fine!

Edit2: Also, how do I find the dial from homescreen options? I found out that I would just have to set change profiles to a convenient side key, but I would like to free up the keyboard in order to assign Lock to a letter
    Last edited by rabidbunnyz; 12-20-07 at 07:04 PM.
    12-20-07 06:29 PM
    Try making a call. It works on mine to change the volume during the call. While in media player it will control volume as well.

edit... Didn't see your edits! No it won't change the volume of the ringer of an incoming call. You have to do that in profiles.

I don't think you can assign lock to a letter/number key. To dial from the home screen just start typing the number you want. You can always assign the lock to one of the side convenience keys.
    Last edited by Member_No.1; 12-20-07 at 07:39 PM.
    12-20-07 07:34 PM
    First about your volume keys, It sorta sucks but i haven't found a solution to make your volume keys on your home screen adjust your profiles. I would swear my life on it that 4.1 let me but i only used it for about 10 min before updated. (Currently on 4.5.0.102)
    *Another Handy Tib-bit that i use is the custom profile under advanced. I've set one up that is 100% silent except for phone calls. So when its in its holster it won't go off like while i'm asleep and don't care about a buddies drunk text. (BUTTTTT.... you don't have to put your phone in the holster to make it think it's in there, just lay it on top. There is a magnet inside that tell your phone when it's in and not. but you can fake it out)
    * the volume buttons do adjust ear piece volume when on speaker and during a call. And media like you said even if the player isn't the program that your currently working with also works to adjust Nobex Radio (google it and install it over-the-air.... (OTA))

2. The Mute key is handy when your in a call and need to make sure they can't hear you. The best way I've found when you get a call and want to quickly mute the vibrations and/or ringer is just hit the volume key that will shut it up.
    *Handy little tidbit of info while your in a call to know. I normally put a person on speaker so i can jot something down in the memo program but it sucks getting back to the call screen to enter a social or menu number just hit the call button and it will take your right back to "Phone"

3. I wouldn't waste a convenience key on locking your phone easily plus you can alway hold the star key down. I use and would recommend AutoLock and it does work on 4.5 to as it implies by its name lock your keypad after a set amount of time (that you can change)

Some Programs i would recommend to get you started use your Blackberry Browser to get all these over the air (OTA) just google them or i have the address in parenthesis

Google Gmail (mobile.google.com)
    Google Maps
    Google Sync (syncs your gmail contacts and calendar with your blackberry)
    Weather Bug Direct Free
    Opera Mini 4.2
    Nobex Radio Companion (Free Streaming Radio)
    CellFire (sweet coupon program)
    AutoLock
    Vlingo (very! nice speech operation program)

And I only believe in free programs so all that there is opensource that i uses on a daily basis. i have NO affiliation with the companies, and use at your own risk. But i have had not trouble on my 8100 with 4.2 and 4.5 and my wifes 8120 with 4.3 T-Mobile

I'm tired of writing so i'm out, i'm sure there are typos / misspellings / grammatical errors so if you have any questions post back here.

Good luck
    eddied042092 likes this.
    01-05-09 02:27 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD