I got my Pearl a couple days ago and on the first day the voice activated dialing worked just fine and now it just doesn't work at all. When I hit the button on the side it doesn't work and I can't even get it to work by using the icon on the applications.

Any ideas why it stopped working?
    11-27-07 04:28 PM
    I'm getting a similar issue - often, it will pop up with "please wait, initializing..." and never move on. If I go to another application and try to re-launch V.D. nothing happens.

It didn't happen at first, but after I assigned "categories" to users, it started. Also, the V.D. doesn't recognize names that have categories assigned to them

When that happens, my battery will drain way too quickly. I usually just do a reset to fix it, but one of these days I'm going to call T-Mobile about it.
    11-28-07 06:24 PM
    I got my Pearl a couple days ago and on the first day the voice activated dialing worked just fine and now it just doesn't work at all. When I hit the button on the side it doesn't work and I can't even get it to work by using the icon on the applications.

Any ideas why it stopped working?
    I have yet get Voice Dialing to work. Any name I say, it never knows what I'm saying. When I hit Voice Dialing in the apps menu it says Scanning Address Book; Please Wait and stay at 0% on my 8130. Anyone with any ideas how to get it to move to at least 1%? :-b
    11-29-07 01:59 PM
    try options>voice dialing and adjusting the settings in there. see if that works.
    11-29-07 02:06 PM
    I have a Blackberry 8830 and had the same problem with the voice dialing feature. It worked for the first week or so and then quit working.

I removed the battery for a little while to give it a "cold boot" just like my old PC and it starting working again.
    12-26-07 11:28 PM
    My 8830's Works

Try A Battery Pull
    12-26-07 11:42 PM
    I just got a new 8100 from T-Mobile (went through all the problem solving with them and no go). As soon as I turned on the phone (after the device transfer wizard), I got the blinking "Y" that said voice dialing was eating my battery again.

I don't know why I thought of it, but changed my theme to the original, and - whatdya know? - Voice Dialing is working for me.

It's only been an hour, so we'll see how things go - but this might be a theme issue!
    01-22-08 03:30 PM
    Well, a bit of an update - and I think, the solution.

I reverted to the default theme, and things worked fine for a while - but I did have another "lock up". Bummer.

So I spent an evening resetting and exploring, and here's what I found is happening.

I have the "Christmas Pool" game from Gameloft installed. If I "pause" that to do voice-dialing, voice-dialing hangs up.

But if I quit the game, voice dialing starts working again. (I'll be getting in touch with Gameloft soon)

And this is the *ONLY* situation where I can make the lock-up happen with the default theme.

However! When I had the "Trans Glass" theme running, I *also* got lock-ups if I ran the mobipocket reader "in the background" and tried voice-dialing.

So - there you have it. Chances are (from my experience, anyway) that voice-dialing problems are related to some program that is running and interfering with the VD app. (Hmmm...that's a bad set of initials)

I'll post again when I have an answer from Gameloft.
    01-29-08 11:12 AM
    *FIX
    From the Desktop Manager, I performed a soft reload (selecting the App Loader, advanced, erase all app data, Auto backup/restore option).
    Took about 45mins

So far, no lockups when using voice dialing and/or my bluetooth headset.

---------------------------------
    For Reference: Mine started to lock up when I added a new contact in Outlook (originally 140 contacts) - after the device sync -- started to lock up when using Voice Dialing.
    05-05-08 10:53 AM
    woke up this morning with this on my phone
    Voice Dialing
    Scanning Address Book
    0%
    after reading the replies to this post this is what i come up with
    I to have the "Christmas Pool" game from Gameloft installed.
    i was playing the game yesterday and received a phone call when i hung up the phone i just holstered the phone and left,so i to feel this is the culprit.
    08-24-08 07:47 AM
    I have been having the same issues...

My VD doesn't work at all, and sometimes, seemingly at random, I'l look at my phone and it will have the "Scanning Address Book 0%" message on it.

I have also been noticing my battery drain quite quickly during the day.

It's only noon, and it's only got 2 bars left on it.

I don't have any of the programs or games mentioned here on my phone, so I will have to disagree on the cause. I do have some other apps, but it could be any one of those. And unfortunately, I don't have any other leads.

I will try the soft reboot suggested by r1cochet, and see if that works.

Otherwise, I have tried everything else, so if anybody has a permanent solution, I'd be happy to hear it.
    10-16-08 02:11 PM
    Update to my previous post.

I'm not sure what it was, but the fix given by r1cochet worked for me.

I reset the app data, turned the phone on, and had 64 new messages waiting for me, so apparently, it was blocking messages as well.

I hesitantly pressed my voice dialing button, and it popped up the "Scanning Address Book" message, but this time, it actually did something.

Ran through the address book in about 5 seconds, and then the "Say a command" prompt came through the speaker.

So it worked. Props to r1cochet.

Hopefully, this also solves my battery drain issue.

on a side note, we have a baby monitor that I was keeping down here in the dungeon with me, right next to the phone, and every once in a while, it would make a crazy buzzing beeping noise. I finally noticed that it was making the noise whenever my phone was doing any data transfer (the little arrows would be flashing). I believe this (the constant data transmission) was related to the bug above, and also the cause of the battery drain. But it's funny that my baby monitor was picking up the phone data transmissions.
    10-16-08 11:41 PM
    Use the Vlingo app for VD. Its a great tool. It does voice text and email as well as calling.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-26-08 09:41 PM
    I kept pressing the voice dial button or my bluetooth to activate and all I got was a scan of the address book and then nothing....so I tried one of the solutions on this post and went to "OPTIONS" then "VOICE DIALING" and changed a few of the options just slightly, nothing major....and now it works!
    05-29-09 10:55 AM
    hey can u tell me which solution from above posts u have tried?
    07-04-13 02:17 AM
    I kept pressing the voice dial button or my bluetooth to activate and all I got was a scan of the address book and then nothing....so I tried one of the solutions on this post and went to "OPTIONS" then "VOICE DIALING" and changed a few of the options just slightly, nothing major....and now it works!
    hey can u tell me which solution from above posts u have tried?
    07-04-13 02:20 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD