Two questions about the Pearl. Can I save video I shoot onto my SD card directly instead of the Pearl internal memory. I can not find a way to do this. Also, what type of video does the Pearl play. I want to convert some clips to store on my and show but I did not know if it was WMV or Mpeg4. Please let me know if you have fooled with the video side of things.
    Thanks.
    12-28-07 08:50 PM
    Seems like I wasn't allowed to even use the video player without the media card in the device.... I don't remember setting where it would go - it forced me to have the media card. Of course, I could have been drinking

And here is a helpful faq for media files:

What video and audio formats are supported?? - BlackBerryFAQ
    12-28-07 08:54 PM
    Well... you may have been drinking but you're also correct
    The video recorder can not be accessed without a media card in the device.
    12-28-07 08:59 PM
    My 8130 doesn't seem to be saving the videos I take. I've taken several, yet when I hit "Play", nothing. When I go to "Videos" stored, nothing there.
    When I hit record the counter in moving. Even thought I have an 8GB SDHC card installed with lots of free space, I cannot change "Save to" from "Device Memory".
    02-23-08 07:09 PM
    have you been able to save anything to this memory card?
    02-23-08 08:55 PM
    Mine wouldn't let me record until I got a card either. Like dacur said make sure other things are being saved correctly. Also make sure the card is formatted if you havn't done so.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-23-08 09:55 PM
    My 8130 doesn't seem to be saving the videos I take. I've taken several, yet when I hit "Play", nothing. When I go to "Videos" stored, nothing there.
    When I hit record the counter in moving. Even thought I have an 8GB SDHC card installed with lots of free space, I cannot change "Save to" from "Device Memory".
    Go to options -> Media Card ->
    and make sure that
    Media Card Support is "ON"
    and
    Mass Storage Mode Support is "ON"
    02-23-08 10:22 PM
    have you been able to save anything to this memory card?
    yes, I've filled it with nearly 4gb of music. Media Card is On, Mass Storage is On.
    I did not format the card but since it mounted right away and I was able to save music to it and play the music and save and display pictures I saved to it, I assume that is not the issue.
    02-24-08 09:49 AM
    forums.crackberry.com/f79/can-t-view-recorded-videos-3gp-lock-rem-20274/#post152806

Any chance your problem is similar to mine?
    02-26-08 07:21 PM
    forums.crackberry.com/f79/can-t-view-recorded-videos-3gp-lock-rem-20274/#post152806

Any chance your problem is similar to mine?
    Exactly!
    I put my micro card into my PBook and in the Blackberry Video folder, the two missing videos with the .lock.rem. extn. I edited the extension down to .3GP and put the card back into my BB. Nothing. Still no videos. But when I reinserted the card into my PBook, they were there and they had a Quicktime Logo. And, they played. Put the card back into my BB, nothing. Removed the battery for a minute, rebooted the BB, and still nothing show up in the Video Folder in the BB. I don't know what to think so if you come up with something please let me know.
    02-26-08 08:13 PM
    You have other vids on your BB?

I thought I wasn't saving stuff, but the naming convention is different than my previous phone and it buried the files in the middle of all of my isht. It calls them VID 0001 etc...not just the random number config you are used to.

Took me a few days of floundering though.

I'll tell you though, this is a powerful video recorder, but not really designed for it.

I haven't dealt with the .lock Rm deal though.
    02-26-08 08:34 PM
    I was hoping for an answer to my BB8130 naming video files I shoot with the 3Gp.lock.rem. extn that makes them unplayable and invisible unless the media card is removed and inserted into a computer. It doesn't seem to me that at this point anyone has an answer so my choice seems to be just accepting that my BB can't record a see-able video. I went to the BB site and searched for help but they came back with the answer- I can sign up for a support program with them for $650. My BB is 10 days old.
    Anyone know where I can get support for my BB? Sprint(my provider)?
    02-27-08 04:00 PM
    Just editing the extension might not be enough.

Do you have a conversion program?

In all honesty, I haven't heard of the extension that you have there. And the word "lock" really throws me.

You say that they are unplayable and invisible until you put them on the computer...and then you can see them? But your BB will not play the files...

All I can think is a conversion to .avi and then back to 3Gp. But like I said, I haven't heard of this lock.rem issue before.

I have questions for you though:
    Is it just a few videos or is it EVERY ONE THAT YOU HAVE SHOT ON YOUR BB?

Signing on for $650 in support is a little extreme. The answer is out there.

If Sprint is anything like Verizon, you should be able to find a store and walk in and talk to one of the pimply-faced kids who work there. They get off on this stuff.
    02-27-08 06:10 PM
    I think you'll agree that having to remove the media, edit the extn, or using a conversion program is a ridiculous amount of effort when "it's not supposed to be that way". And yes, every video and as you see in another post, I'm not the only one. This is a BB softwware bug. Maybe it's the 8130 and 4.3.0.71, .71 and the 8gb SDHC card I have, or something else.
    Do BB Support people read these post? If not, why?
    02-27-08 06:44 PM
    Well Damnation there guy,

I don't have a solution for you. I wish I could get my hands on one of these wackjob lock files you speak of though...I would really like to tinker with it.

You are right. It sounds like a glitch.
    I don't have an answer for you, and I wish I did.
    02-27-08 07:00 PM
    i have a sprint 8130, works perfectly.
    just tested it.
    02-28-08 12:35 AM
    i have a sprint 8130, works perfectly.
    just tested it.
    Congrats
    If I may ask:
    1. do you have a media card inserted and what type(assuming you must)?
    2. did you format it before insertion?
    3. if you view the media files(I don't mean look at the video justs the files themselves) on a computer, what is the file extn of the videos you shoot yourself?
    4. are your "Sample Videos" that came on your BB still in the "Sample Folder"?
    5. if so, what are the file extns on the Sample Videos? Are they different than on videos you've shot yourself?
    Thanks,
    Carl
    02-28-08 09:21 AM
    I have a feeling this has to do with some security encryption option in the phone.
    When i first bought the 8130 i didn't have this problem. Only as of recently has this problem become apparent.
    Its only not visible in media-videos. If you go into media then explore you will find it (VID 00001.3gp.lock.rem). If you try to open it from there i get a message "unable to display file/media card/media/vid0001.3gp.lock.rem".
    The only way around this is to insert the card into my comp and rename the file "vid0001.3gp". Once thats done it will be fully visible and playable on my bb. Theres no need to convert the file just delete the ".lock.rem" in the file name.
    02-28-08 09:38 AM
    Congrats
    If I may ask:
    1. do you have a media card inserted and what type(assuming you must)?
    2. did you format it before insertion?
    3. if you view the media files(I don't mean look at the video justs the files themselves) on a computer, what is the file extn of the videos you shoot yourself?
    4. are your "Sample Videos" that came on your BB still in the "Sample Folder"?
    5. if so, what are the file extns on the Sample Videos? Are they different than on videos you've shot yourself?
    Thanks,
    Carl
    1. yes, 1gb sandisk
    2. formated with the BB itself
    3. haven't connected it to my comp to view media files, have a mac
    4. No, deleted the BB one, that played tho.
    5. I don't think so.
    02-28-08 12:41 PM
    I have a feeling this has to do with some security encryption option in the phone.
    When i first bought the 8130 i didn't have this problem. Only as of recently has this problem become apparent.
    Its only not visible in media-videos. If you go into media then explore you will find it (VID 00001.3gp.lock.rem). If you try to open it from there i get a message "unable to display file/media card/media/vid0001.3gp.lock.rem".
    The only way around this is to insert the card into my comp and rename the file "vid0001.3gp". Once thats done it will be fully visible and playable on my bb. Theres no need to convert the file just delete the ".lock.rem" in the file name.
    I saw a post on another site(and yours), not really about Video but it got me thinking. So I went to Options>Media Card>Encryption Mode>set it to "None", and all is working! I can shoot/Play/Store/and see them!
    02-28-08 01:27 PM
    There is a free ($0) and smooth but time-consuming way to upload DVD videos to your Blackberry 8130.

To transfer DVD videos:

Use the Mac-compatible application, HandBrake to generate a MP4 file from your DVD. Use the Mac-compatible application, MPEG Streamclip to generate a .3gp file from your MP4 file. Your original DVD video and MP4 file(s) will not be changed or damaged. You have to use a memory card (and card reader on your Mac desktop) to transfer and store your video file(s) to your Blackberry Pearl 8130.

I recommend upgrading your Mac OS to Leopard and getting the 0.9.2 version of HandBrake.

1. For the HandBrake application, under Output Settings/Format and Codec, select, "MP4 File" for Format and "MPEG-4 Video/AAC Audio" for Codec. Further under Output Settings, find Quality and Target size (MB). Manually click-select the circle next to "700 MB."

2. For the MPEG Streamclip application, under File menu, select, �Export to Other Formats...� For Format, select, �3G� and then click on �OK.�

[Note: in the MPEG Streamclip application, 3G just stands for standard .3gp files]

[Suggestion: I usually select 720x400 as the Frame Rate to keep the file size small and conversion time relatively small]

When prompted by MPEG Streamclip for a chosen file name, make sure at the end of your chosen file name, you add the �.3gp� file extension (for example, �Cast_Away.3gp�). Click on �Save.�

Conversion time for this whole process with HandBrake and MPEG Streamclip can be as small as 30mins for 2-hour movies and can get up to 6-8 hours for 2-hour movies.

I have personally found that it is entirely satisfactory to upload and keep 1 small album/collection of mp3s and 2 movies/videos on my Blackberry Pearl 8130 (via the memory card). And I just keep my memory card in my Pearl.

02-28-08 06:36 PM
    You cannot stream videos on the Pearl unless you are a Verizon customer.
    However if you do want to view YouTube videos you can use this software. I use it and its quite effective.

Google "E.M. Youtube Video Download Tool"
    02-29-08 08:34 AM
    I saw a post on another site(and yours), not really about Video but it got me thinking. So I went to Options>Media Card>Encryption Mode>set it to "None", and all is working! I can shoot/Play/Store/and see them!
    Nice!!! Now works on my end aswell. Good find.
    I had a feeling it had something to do with some of the settings i was playing around with. Lol
    03-01-08 03:09 PM
    I had the exact problem as you had and looked everywhere for the answer as well as asking my local dealers. They knew less than I did! LOL!

Good find.

Cheers,

Chris
    09-28-08 03:31 PM
    hey i was having the same issue were i could not record or watch the videos i recorded. but then i saw this post and tried it and it worked so now i put the encryption back on and it still works thank you!
    01-09-09 10:14 PM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD