I've searched the forums and several misc websites looking for this specific answer and have yet to find it (thought i found it once on yahoo answers, but the post had been removed). f I use Google Talk on my Verizon blackberry, will they charge me for a text message each time I use it, or is it covered by my unlimited data plan?

How can I find out if it uses data (MDS or IBBB) or SMS for instant messaging?

not using it until i know for sure

Thanks in advance.
    05-02-08 10:35 PM
    If it's the one that Verizon provides you, I think it might.
    05-02-08 10:45 PM
    I think it charges you DATA only. But you never know with verizon, they milk there customers more than any other carrier.

Send a couple then check you user account on there website. It show you how many messages were sent.
    05-02-08 10:56 PM
    No, it didnt come from them, I got it directly from google. I did see on the browser start page something about AIM, Yahoo!, and the others, but google talk isnt mentioned. In fact, I couldn't find ANYWHERE that explicitly says that verizon will charge for google talk.
    05-02-08 10:57 PM
    I think it charges you DATA only. But you never know with verizon, they milk there customers more than any other carrier.

Send a couple then check you user account on there website. It show you how many messages were sent.
    I did -- in fact, i used it a LOT today. I checked the website and it says the last text message i sent was the 30th. I would say it uses data only and i'm ok, right? I would still like to make positively sure tho. Is there a way to find out if it uses MDS or IBBB?

I completely agree with you on verizon milking their customers. They have a "plan" for every single feature -- why cant i just get a single plan that does a lot that costs less than $200/mo?! I'm almost paying more for cell service than I am home service.
    05-02-08 11:27 PM
    I did -- in fact, i used it a LOT today. I checked the website and it says the last text message i sent was the 30th. I would say it uses data only and i'm ok, right? I would still like to make positively sure tho. Is there a way to find out if it uses MDS or IBBB?

I completely agree with you on verizon milking their customers. They have a "plan" for every single feature -- why cant i just get a single plan that does a lot that costs less than $200/mo?! I'm almost paying more for cell service than I am home service.
    It's good to know that about Google talk, since I dow buy Verizons $10/month text messageing.
    05-03-08 11:34 PM
    well -- i dont know that for sure yet, thats what im trying to figure out. i have the $5 a month thing for texts, but i want to get rid of it -- i only use google talk, so i wouldnt have a need to spend the xtra money, buut --- i just dont know for sure
    05-03-08 11:40 PM
    Google talk only uses data.

You can take off your tin foil hats.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-03-08 11:56 PM
    WOO HOO! thanks, thats the kind of definitive answer i was looking for.

/me takes off stupid foil hat

thanks
    05-03-08 11:59 PM
    Awesome! I was looking for that exact answer....but for Tmobile. Before I say "awesome!" I should make sure its data and not sms for tmobile as well...does anyone know??
    05-09-08 10:24 PM
    They (all Im programs) are data. No charge for text. If you have an unlimited data plan, then IM away.
    05-10-08 07:58 AM
    They (all Im programs) are data. No charge for text. If you have an unlimited data plan, then IM away.
    Actually, that is incorrect. The IM program that Verizon pushes uses text messages so they can make money off of it. MOST IM programs use data only though, but it's an expensive mistake if you are wrong.
    05-10-08 08:04 AM
    This is True IF you subscribe to Verizon mobile yahoo AOL or their programs. Still, I checked just now and even though you use their branded IM messaging, it is still data. On the regular cell phone, if you logged onto AIM, it was a per text charge. In respect to Google talk, it is data.
    05-10-08 08:09 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD