Hi folks! I am currently in the market for an mp3 player, a pda, and I am switching my wireless service to Verizon soon. So, I figure since buying an ipod would be anywhere from $200-400 and buying a pda would be anywhere from $200-500, why don't I just consolidate and get one device to do it all? My only concern is that I will get frustrated at the limitations of a device that is not equipped to be as good an mp3 player as an ipod. I currently use iTunes, and I'm worried that it will be a huge pain to transfer/convert the files so they are playable on the Pearl.

So my question is, who out there is using their Blackberry Pearl as their sole mp3 player? Who out there also previously used iTunes, and had to deal with switching from iTunes software to the Blackberry software? If these questions describe you, please give me feedback on your experiences, whether good or bad! Do you like using the Pearl as your sole mp3 player? Are all of your file types compatible with the Pearl's music player? What kinds of file types have not worked? Did you figure out a solution to the ones that didn't work??

I don't want to get stuck with a device that frustrates the crap out of me when I could've just purchased separate devices that work the best for each application I need.

THANKS!!!!
    11-29-07 09:58 AM
    I actually like the Pearl's MP3 player. I think it works pretty well. I won't say it is better than my iPod, but when I don't have my iPod or it isn't charged, I don't hesitate to use my Pearl.

As for compatibility, all my songs are in mp3 format. I don't actually purchase them through itunes so they aren't AAC. I assume there is a conversion process if your tunes are in AAC. I will post some screen shots of the MP3 player for you in a few minutes so you can see what it looks like. I definitely recommend checking out the Pearl at a Verizon store if possible. I don't know how you couldn't like it, but it is always nice to play with a phone in person before purchasing.
    Last edited by Trevor; 11-29-07 at 03:54 PM.
    11-29-07 03:42 PM
    Here are some pictures of the MP3 Player.
    11-29-07 03:53 PM
    There's a few MP3 players in beta for the pearl. I've been using a beta for flipside. It looks like the iPod player and works pretty well, too. Go to:

FlipSide

or search for Flipside on this forum.
    11-29-07 07:39 PM
    I actually like the Pearl's MP3 player. I think it works pretty well. I won't say it is better than my iPod, but when I don't have my iPod or it isn't charged, I don't hesitate to use my Pearl.
    Thanks for your information and feedback! It was very helpful. So my ultimate question is, would you use the Pearl as your only portable music player if you didn't have an iPod??
    11-29-07 09:43 PM
    Oh i absolutely would!! With the normal sized headphone jack, dedicated play/pause and volume controls it is perfect for me...

Plus if you're doing something else..say calendar for example, and you want to change album, song etc, just press the BB button and it goes to 'now playing..' and once you're done in there it takes you right back to calendar!

You can access your playing music from any menu, which is very well thought out!

It shows album art too, which is kind of fun if you have it.. Also when you go to your song list, you can just start typing on the keyboard and it goes right to the song! No iPod can do that! (cept iPhone and touch.. but seriously..)

Also non DRM, drag and drop, and the ability to expand storage.

I have a 4gb and have only used about half of it, i have an entire Office season and about a dozen albums..

The iternal speakers are fantastic, very loud in my opinion. Most mainstream DAPs do not have internal speakers..

If you use WMP to sync your music, life will be much simpler.. If you bought all your music through iTunes, then you're out of luck because it only plays MP3s..

Does my rambling help?
    11-29-07 10:19 PM

Does my rambling help?
    Oh, definitely! I appreciate the input from someone who is using it as their main portable music player. Thanks for your rambling!!
    11-30-07 07:19 AM
    i wouldn't. but then again i use my iPod at the gym while lifting and while running on the treadmill/track. i'd rather drop or bang my ipod rather than my brand new phone. but if you're just gonna be sitting around listening to music with it in your pocket, i don't see why you couldn't use your phone as your mp3 player.

[edit: i also know kids who have iPhones and use their iPods at the gym instead. but again, if you don't lift, it's a nonissue!]

also, i dont know how much music you feel like carrying around with you at once, but your going to be limited by the card size in the phone. iPod you could carry more music. my 2 cents.
    11-30-07 08:26 AM
    [edit: i also know kids who have iPhones and use their iPods at the gym instead. but again, if you don't lift, it's a nonissue!]

also, i dont know how much music you feel like carrying around with you at once, but your going to be limited by the card size in the phone. iPod you could carry more music. my 2 cents.
    Yeah... I've thought about that, but with the equipment protection plan that I'm buying, damaging it will be a non-issue. Although I currently don't do a lot of working out, I probably will in the future and would like to use it then. Then again, for the little bit that I am working out, I can use my old "ghetto" RCA mp3 player... especially when I go snowboarding and want to listen then. Ultimately, I don't think that'll be an issue for me. Thanks for the input!

Also with the storage... I think 6-8 gigs would be enough for me. I took a look at my current music folder size, and although it's 9 gigs, that includes some stuff that I haven't listened to in years, and includes seasonal stuff like holiday music.

Anyway, thanks for your perspective!
    11-30-07 02:24 PM
    I also pay 5 bucks a month for insurance.... If you buy a Bluetooth stereo, then you don't run the risk of tripping up on any wires! I have the Motorola S9, which work perfectly..

You can always get a skin for your BB to keep it extra cozy and safe
    11-30-07 03:52 PM
    I have the Moto S9 too- but the forward/reverse buttons don't work at all. Also sometimes the songs just skip which is weird. I used my Treo as an MP3 player and it enver skipped. Outside of those 2 minor/major issues I would & do use my pearl as a standalone player.
    12-01-07 05:23 PM
    u can allso plug the pearl in ur car and lesin to ur mps and sprint radio i am useing a ipod cable it sound good
    12-01-07 07:44 PM
    Thanks for your information and feedback! It was very helpful. So my ultimate question is, would you use the Pearl as your only portable music player if you didn't have an iPod??
    Definitely. In fact, my ipods battery is starting to go from being left in my car nightly in the cold. So, my Pearl is becoming my primary MP3 player. I just need to get a big ol' memory card for it.
    12-01-07 08:26 PM
    u can allso plug the pearl in ur car and lesin to ur mps and sprint radio i am useing a ipod cable it sound good
    Also true, I do this. The interesting thing is that when a call comes in, it is played over your speakers in the car and the music is automatically paused.
    12-01-07 08:27 PM
    Also true, I do this. The interesting thing is that when a call comes in, it is played over your speakers in the car and the music is automatically paused.
    Over bluetooth? Or used via an FM tuner/aux jack..

Is it possible to listen to music over bluetooth in your car?
    12-01-07 08:52 PM
    I use mine at work rather than charring my Ipod and phone. I think it works pretty good.

Bob
    12-01-07 10:33 PM
    Over bluetooth? Or used via an FM tuner/aux jack..

Is it possible to listen to music over bluetooth in your car?
    FM tuner...
    12-02-07 10:01 AM
    FM tuner...
    Darn! I got my hopes up! That would be pretty neat over bluetooth..
    12-02-07 10:13 AM
    Most of my music is in itunes format so i need to fix that, but i have some stuff on the pearl and I do use the music function. It's awesome!
    12-02-07 12:51 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD