Hi everyone,
    I asked a question here a couple days ago and was able to solve my issue, so now I am here to stay and learn about my very first blackberry.

My next question is:

Right now i dont have a data plan as the phone was a gift, is there a way to use the browser with wifi with no chance of getting charged data on my phone bill.

If so can someone provide steps for me to do so? (i have my wifi network set up on my phone already, I just dont want to be charged on my bill or my parents will kill me ahah)

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-27-08 11:30 AM
    Hi everyone,
    I asked a question here a couple days ago and was able to solve my issue, so now I am here to stay and learn about my very first blackberry.

My next question is:

Right now i dont have a data plan as the phone was a gift, is there a way to use the browser with wifi with no chance of getting charged data on my phone bill.

If so can someone provide steps for me to do so? (i have my wifi network set up on my phone already, I just dont want to be charged on my bill or my parents will kill me ahah)

Some mobile telco's, like T-Mobile, disable data if you don't have a data plan. One thing you can do is shut off the radio (wont be able to get calls then) or go to options->mobile network-> and for connection preference, select wi-fi only
    12-27-08 11:56 AM
    Some mobile telco's, like T-Mobile, disable data if you don't have a data plan. One thing you can do is shut off the radio (wont be able to get calls then) or go to options->mobile network-> and for connection preference, select wi-fi only

i just spoke with my provider and they said since i dont have a data plan, data is disabled (as you said), so even if i wanted to go online outside a wifi hotspot i wud be unable to.. he said i must make sure my phone browser is set to "hotspot" and everything would be fine.
    He also said i wont be charged extra for calls and sms when using wifi as long as my data is set to on because these will go thru the cell phone network...

i guess we see what happens when my bill arrives lol

12-27-08 02:38 PM
    T-mobile has a way to check your bill day to day.

Register at

my.t-mobile.com

and you can experiment with your phone, check how many minutes or other charges are applied.

My spouse and I just got T-Mobile hotspot plans, and I have internet and email and she doesn't. We are checking various uses of our phones and seeing what we get charged

Hope this is helpful.
    12-28-08 01:25 PM
    My step-daughter has an 8320 with no Data plan... she has had that for two months and can only use wifi to access the web... I'm fairly sure the phone will not allow her to access the web any other way.
    12-28-08 04:31 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD