Hi,
    I have a question which I haven't yet received a convincing answer, even after searching in so many forums, and asking the "subject matter expert" at the store.

The story:
    1. I want to get a Blackberry Pearl 8110, without the data plan. I want to use it just as a regular phone + some organizer + occasional web access using "Media Net".

2. On my present phone, whenever I use media net for traffic/maps/directions, I get charged about 1 cent per kilobyte and my usage is mostly <$3 per month. This is all I need.

3. On a blackberry pearl 8110 (on display in the store), I saw two icons, one for web browser, and another for "Media Net" (ATT service)

4. I have been reading the forums and I understand that "Media Net" will be good only for WAP enabled websites, and consumes less data. However the "HTML web browser" consumes tons of data, and not having the data plan will result in huge charges if I use "HTML web browser".

5. I have been asked questions, "why do you need a Blackberry without data plan". This one I need for the GPS, the mini USB port and the micro SD slot, small form factor (not being wide), solid metallic finish. Just not interested in paying for Data.

Questions.
    1. I was told that, with blackberries, either you have a data plan, or not at all. Without the data plan, can I use "just" the WAP browser (Media Net). I would never want to use the HTML browser.

2. If yes to the above, will using the WAP browser will be any different. Right now I use a Sony ericsson Z525 and I want to check if the data usage will be any different when I use "Media Net" on a "Blackberry pearl without data plan"?

3. Without the data plan, is SMS any different? ie, will my charges be any different?

4. Without the data plan, would I be able to get the WAP browser (Media Net).

5. If NO, how can I get the WAP browser which can show me the items in Media Net.

6. How is the behavior if it is taken out of the country? Can I use it for calls and SMS without worrying about any data issues (Will be using the local sim card in the country I am visiting).

Thanks.
    Last edited by woowtyolsi; 06-23-08 at 10:37 PM. Reason: additional questions came up
    06-23-08 10:33 PM
    1) You can use both, as you said... one uses more data than the other.

2) I don't have a Z525, i would check with the manufacture if you really think it matters so much.

3) 15-25 cents per txt without a plan

4) & 5) Media Net is a browser shortcut. Nothing more, nothing less. If you want to download wallpapers and ringtones, do it off this site or get a program to make your own

6) If it's unlocked, you should have no problem changing sims
    06-24-08 11:52 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD