Thought it would be good to have a centralized place for our personal reviews of the new Pearl by Verizon. Maybe list your likes, dislikes, confusion, or undying admiration for the new device.

I'll have mine on here once i recieve my device, use it and find a computer i can use for it.

Tips/hints/cool things you noticed would be sweet also.

Thanks!
    11-07-07 12:25 PM
    So far I really dig the phone. Right now I'm not a big fan of the track ball. Seems kind of cheap.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-08-07 12:08 AM
    what version of the Desktop manager comes on the CD?
    11-08-07 12:26 AM
    It ships with the latest Os

11-08-07 12:34 AM
    Sorry this isn't much of a review, but seems I cannot log into Verizon's BIS with this 8130.

I tried going to BlackBerry Internet Service
    it tells me username/password do not exist. please use your device to access BIS. On the device I created a vzw.blackberry.net account so don't understand why it doesn't exist.

On the device when I log in to the BIS, and edit my email accounts, there is no create filter option (and it shows the BB email account that the website says does not exist).
    11-08-07 11:26 AM
    Creating the email address and creating a user are not the same thing. Go back to the Setup Email icon on your device, and look for a link to Create User.

I had to help my mother-in-law with this last night. She had the same problem.
    11-08-07 11:38 AM
    It shipped with the latest OS and new versions of Desktop Manager and VZW Connect software (which now FINALLY supports Bluetooth tethering, SWEET!)

A few things I'm noticing:

1. Desktop Manager isn't picking up Outlook 2007 as an option to import addresses/tasks/calendars. VERY annoying.

2. Brickbreaker -- the graphics are terrible. On the 8830 it was very smooth, way cool. Here it looks like it's 2d.

3. Address book -- it seems as if it's giving double the space on my Address Book page for each entry that it needs (line height is way too much).

Now, I had to import everything from my old blackberry using my desktop manager, and I'm wondering if these settings have messed up my address book or brickbreaker. I might do a hard reset on the device and start from scratch later.

Other than these few issues, I love it! SureType was VERY easy to get used to. Essentially you just "pretend" that you are typing on a querty keyboard, and it works great. VZNavigator/GPS works fine, as does MMS.

Camera shoots video and takes very good pictures.

SM
    11-08-07 12:54 PM
    I have fallen deeply in love with my new berry...
    (I really need to name it/her? but it hasn't come to me yet)

I was afraid of suretype..but I love it after only a few days. It IS just like typing. it took like two emails to get comfortable with it...

love the "@" and "." that get inserted in an email field when you press the space key...it seems silly but it is the coolest shortcut i have found yet...

love being able to add my own ringtones (that dont cost two bucks...)

love the form factor,size shape WEIGHT (It is so light...)

love the seidio skinned berry holster and the balck skin to protect it..

love love love push email..

love the sonar tone for messsages (like being on a sub...)

love the camera..

love the browser

love that I want to pick it up not put it away (like my old treo)

my first berry....daddy happy

-db
    11-08-07 04:00 PM
    Lol you guys like it. I have been trying to download ringtones from tuneusin.com but no luck. You guys?

11-08-07 05:52 PM
    Gib-
    I havent gotten started with ringtones yet...too much else to do... being a long time verizon user ringtone is assicated with COST not ENJOYMENT...hahaha.

now that I can actually load what I want..I have a laundry list of ideas (that I conveniently keep track of in my bb notes ) of different clips of music I want to use for different ringtones... (I really want to use the intro to "can't you hear me knocking" by the stones for something, that guitar lick is so sweet). I also got this silly ringtone a friend sent me as an mms of a weird voice saying "ring...ring ring...ring Ring...Ring Ring Ring...RING RING RING. AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH" (it gradually goes from conversation level voice to an open scream...) its really funny... my kids laugh when they hear it...

let me know and I'll send it to you...

-db
    11-08-07 06:34 PM
    Well coming from the 8830 I love the size and feeling of the 8130. Suretype is awesome and very very very easy to use and actually makes typing much faster. Although I think the 8830's trackball is much smoother imo, the 8130 is still neat. Also The reception and call clarity are great. I really cant think of any complaints about the device yet, and would highly recomend the rubber skins they have for the device! (they come in black, blue, and clear. One thing I would like to know is peoples response to how well the bluetooth works on this device.
    11-08-07 08:01 PM
    Gib-
    I havent gotten started with ringtones yet...too much else to do... being a long time verizon user ringtone is assicated with COST not ENJOYMENT...hahaha.

now that I can actually load what I want..I have a laundry list of ideas (that I conveniently keep track of in my bb notes ) of different clips of music I want to use for different ringtones... (I really want to use the intro to "can't you hear me knocking" by the stones for something, that guitar lick is so sweet). I also got this silly ringtone a friend sent me as an mms of a weird voice saying "ring...ring ring...ring Ring...Ring Ring Ring...RING RING RING. AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH" (it gradually goes from conversation level voice to an open scream...) its really funny... my kids laugh when they hear it...

let me know and I'll send it to you...

-db
    Sounds awesome. PM coming your way!
    11-08-07 08:29 PM
    OK, so I'm on my way to vzw to pick up my new pearl...I hope I can get a good deal... I know I'm not due for an upgrade yet, but I've been a faithful customer and I'm bringing my 4yr old for back up...lol The cute factor never hurt anybody...Wish me luck, and please send me any haggling/bargaining tacticts that you think will help me get a pearl w/out paying out the nose..... Thanks again
    11-10-07 10:31 AM
    tell them you will make your four year old cry in the store while eating a chocolate bar and tell him to go play with all the pretty phones....

just kidding.

but I hope you get one can't live...you will REALLY not be able to live without it now...

post as soon as you get it up and running.

and no chocolate on the trackball...

-db

mmmmmmmmmmmmm chocolate...
    11-10-07 10:45 AM
    OK, so I'm on my way to vzw to pick up my new pearl...I hope I can get a good deal... I know I'm not due for an upgrade yet, but I've been a faithful customer and I'm bringing my 4yr old for back up...lol The cute factor never hurt anybody...Wish me luck, and please send me any haggling/bargaining tacticts that you think will help me get a pearl w/out paying out the nose..... Thanks again
    Tell them you are going to cancel... call customer service on the phone first and ask for a supervisor. Tell them you are having issues with your current phone and you do not want a warranty replacement. All you want to do is be able to upgrade at promo price. Let them know you pay for the added data plan every month and that you just want a device that works properly. It may take a few minutes and a couple of reps on the phone but if you wear them down it will be worth it. Oh and most importantly...make sure they comment the account or you will have a big headache when you go into the store.
    11-10-07 11:35 AM
    Thank you soooo much jetman! I called vzw cust svc, spoke to two different reps and sups and they're going to do it. I'm getting the new pearl at the new contract price!!! Woo hoo, bye bye granny (7130e) hello pearl!!! I'm so excited idk what to do. Thanks again, I owe you big time!

11-10-07 12:34 PM
    Honestly, i work for a Verizon retailer (not corporate) and they have really changed the kind of discounts you can get through customer service. The best deal that they seem to be doing is 1yr contract pricing. Not great.
    11-10-07 12:41 PM
    thats awesome clwmbb...

rock that pearl...

we want details too... skins, batteries, cases, chargers, sd cards...

enjoy it...

-db

i jave a small indentation in my thumb from the pearl trackball already... i consider it something of a badge of honor...
    11-10-07 02:47 PM
    Well guys, I got it and I'm in love all over again. I just have to figure out how to work it! Lol coming from a 7130e is like being frozen in time. I feel like a dinosaur. I followed your advice, called vzw cust svc and got my upgrade early! The first store I went to the manager was so nasty that I called and complained. I got my 8130 for $99 bucks! Can you believe it? I also got a pink skin and a vzw hip holster. I couldn't take the sure type so I switched to multi tap. What can I tell you, old habits die hard. Lol thanks again for all of your input and support! Smooches

11-10-07 07:54 PM
    another satisfied customer....
    did you get the 29.99 unlimited plan or do you need bes?

hope you love it... i cant leave mine alone...berry white showed me how to bb messenger... if you need tips ill spill what i know...send me a pm or respond to this post...

-db
    Last edited by daddybear; 11-10-07 at 08:01 PM. Reason: spelink ishoes
    11-10-07 07:59 PM
    I'm all over bb msgr, btw my pin is 317A8708, but I'm having issues w/themes. I've finally figured out the track ball and multitap but my apps are all over the place. Can I sync my 7130e w my pearl and transfer all of the data?

11-10-07 08:03 PM
    better change your profile....

i dig the suretype a lot... it took like seven seconds to feel comfortable with it and i have never used it...

im not sure about the transfer....but i'm still new to blackberrys.... its like i found where i have always belonged....

-db

everything about the pearl is really intuitive... and unlike a lot of people...I really like having all my messages (voice mms sms etc) all in one place...no need to go looking for them all over the place
    Last edited by daddybear; 11-10-07 at 08:09 PM. Reason: forgetfulness
    11-10-07 08:07 PM
    I'm all over bb msgr, btw my pin is 317A8708, but I'm having issues w/themes. I've finally figured out the track ball and multitap but my apps are all over the place. Can I sync my 7130e w my pearl and transfer all of the data?

You can use the switch device wizard or just make a backup of the 7130 and restore it to the 8130.
    11-10-07 08:14 PM
    You should be able to with the software that shipped with the pearl. First sync your old BB first then plug in the new one and migrate the info

11-10-07 08:15 PM
    ~Internet Browsing -- really easy! (+ extremely convenient)
    ~Syncing the e-mail was very easy and works perfectly!
    ~SureType -- not hard to adjust to at all (from previously having an LG VX 8100)
    ~Great Sound Quality
    ~Voice Recorder -- I cannot figure out how/where to DL ringtones so I decided to try to play the song I wanted as a ringtone and record the clip I liked and was able to set it as my phone tune by using the menu once I recorded and saved it. (Good hint for people who want cheap and good quality ringtones!)
    ~BrickBreaker -- so much fun and I have to disagree with the previous post because I think the graphics are great! My friend has the 8100 Pearl from AT&T and the graphics on her phone/screen resolution are much worse than the 8130. (She agrees!)
    ~Skins -- these are such an awesome way to protect and customize your phone!!
    ~Size/Weight/Color of the phone -- it's very sleek and by far the best out of all the colors available for the Pearl (in my opinion).
    ~Being able to customize the menu by moving around/hiding/creating folders for items.

Dislikes:
    ~Can't Change the Trackball color -- there aren't any applications available to change the color of the trackball.
    ~OS 4.3 -- do not like Roxio at all & it's very frustrating trying to add applications with this software!
    ~The booklet that comes with the phone gives you practically no information about the phone (such as finding the pin # for Blackberry Messenger).
    ~Adding contacts can be a pain!!
    ~Had some trouble connecting via Bluetooth to another phone to copy music.
    ~Text messaging graphics -- or lack thereof!!

**I wish they would come out with an update for the Color Ball application!
    Last edited by sabrinafsu; 11-11-07 at 01:17 AM.
    11-11-07 01:13 AM
50 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD