With my 8120 I love using wi-fi to browse the internet. I don't want to buy a Data Plan because I don't want to spend the extra money, but all the apps I have found like Yahoo! Go or Opera Mini will not even install without a Blackberry data plan. Does anyone know of a way to make my pearl use wifi instead for everything? Is there an app for this or can I change it with the phone's settings? I appreciate any help you can give me, I'm a noob.
    04-10-08 06:13 PM
    I think you need to use the BB browser to do the installs is that what youre using to browse the web?
    04-10-08 06:15 PM
    Most apps for the BB do not have any support for a wifi connection. I think JiveTalk is the only third party app that can use wifi.
    04-10-08 06:18 PM
    yes i use the BB browser. I have tried using my computer and the browser for installing the apps. They will download onto my phone. I click on them to start the install process and the progress bar will move for a while but I always get an error saying the app couldn't connect to the internet.
    04-10-08 06:18 PM
    thanks sunkast, at least now i know that it is the apps and not my phone that are the problem. so is there any app that could sort of fool the apps into thinking it is getting a regular internet connection while using wifi?
    04-10-08 06:20 PM
    Sorry, none that I know of.
    04-10-08 06:26 PM
    Oh ok that explains it
    04-10-08 06:28 PM
    OK.. called T-mobile. Again, again, again, 15 mins on the phone.
    rep told me I CAN NOT use free wi-fi networks w/o data plan and that I need a "feature" that T-mobile has, as she put it.

T-mobile rep Kiara (ID #40210) sounded nice more lies?
    04-16-08 04:17 PM
    With my 8120 I love using wi-fi to browse the internet. I don't want to buy a Data Plan because I don't want to spend the extra money, but all the apps I have found like Yahoo! Go or Opera Mini will not even install without a Blackberry data plan. Does anyone know of a way to make my pearl use wifi instead for everything? Is there an app for this or can I change it with the phone's settings? I appreciate any help you can give me, I'm a noob.
    i loaded the yahoo go on my 8320 without a problem on just wi-fi
    04-16-08 04:21 PM
    OK.. called T-mobile. Again, again, again, 15 mins on the phone.
    rep told me I CAN NOT use free wi-fi networks w/o data plan and that I need a "feature" that T-mobile has, as she put it.

T-mobile rep Kiara (ID #40210) sounded nice more lies?
    Yea this cant be true, your purchased a piece of hardware and now t-mobile is forbidding you from using certain features on it until you pay a surcharge? Thats like the whole embedded GPS verizon controversy. (Basically they forbid you from using 3rd party GPS tools and only want you using their GPS software).

I would look into doing an OS upgrade or something to get the phone off of any t-mobile junk, like unlocking the device, so you can use your wifi card freely like you should be able to!
    04-17-08 11:39 AM
    i loaded the yahoo go on my 8320 without a problem on just wi-fi
    How?? and which version, 2.0 or 3.0? Do you have a data plan? Which service books do you have?
    04-30-08 02:14 AM
    Call Tmo again and ask if you have the "blackberry feature enabler" activated on your account. This is totally free.

I also had some browser connections problems before through wifi and when I called tmo, they found out that I was missing that service.

You can use your wifi for free without a data plan is a fact. All you can do with it though is use the built in browser for surfing and jivetalk for IMs. Maybe the CS got confused when you mixed in the other apps when you were asking a question.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-30-08 03:29 AM
    How?? and which version, 2.0 or 3.0? Do you have a data plan? Which service books do you have?
    i checked my service book and found out that bis service still there. tmo might have forgot to delete it because i can still surf the net without paying for the plan. does anyone else have this issue?
    Last edited by angelo; 05-08-08 at 11:47 PM.
    05-08-08 11:45 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD