Hello, I have an 8100 and have been using it for about a year with DM 4.2.1.8w/vista business -no problems until today. My machine will not recognize my bb when I connect it to the USB. I trired reinstalling / repairing DM... I rebooted everything, pulled the battery. No change. Any ideas?
    01-06-09 09:57 AM
    What about uninstalling/rebooting/reinstalling? Does your device indicate it is charging when you have it plugged in?
    01-06-09 10:39 AM
    I have tried it on my laptop and desktop, It does not show as charging when plugged into either machine. I tried two different USB cables as well. I have a feeling it may not be a DM issue.
    01-06-09 01:31 PM
    Did both computers have Desktop manager? And did you try my suggestion?
    01-06-09 02:03 PM
    There is a newer version of Desktop Manager for the BB 8100 its the DM v4.7 available on blackberry.com its compat with vista you can download with or without the Media manager OR you can download software from your service provider's website. You should also make sure the Hardware software on your BB is up to date. You could also check in Windows vista for the Device Manager located in Control panel>System>hardware tab> device manager button to see if there are any warning icons or red X's especially around the USB controllers. With the device manager open unplug and plug in the usb cable to device, you should see the device info pop up in the Device manager if its detecting it or not. Have you installed the latest Windows vista Service pack?
    01-06-09 02:07 PM
    There is a newer version of Desktop Manager for the BB 8100 its the DM v4.7 available on blackberry.com its compat with vista you can download with or without the Media manager OR you can download software from your service provider's website. You should also make sure the Hardware software on your BB is up to date. You could also check in Windows vista for the Device Manager located in Control panel>System>hardware tab> device manager button to see if there are any warning icons or red X's especially around the USB controllers. With the device manager open unplug and plug in the usb cable to device, you should see the device info pop up in the Device manager if its detecting it or not. Have you installed the latest Windows vista Service pack?
    No offense, but I do not recommend DM 4.7 to anyone that doesn't need it. The version has been problematic for many users.
    01-06-09 02:13 PM
    Good to know, I'll keep that in mind, though I havent had too many issues with this version thats why I suggested it, but you can definately download other software versions if that doesnt work out. I was only tryin to offer ideas to try out.
    01-06-09 02:22 PM
    I uninstalled / rebooted /reinstalled. didn't fix the problem. I just read a post from someone with a broken USB port on the 8100 device (one of the 5 teeth in the mini-usb is missing). I think that may be my problem as I appear to be missing a "tooth". I do appreciate your help.
    Last edited by maakored; 01-06-09 at 08:29 PM.
    01-06-09 02:42 PM
    You and others might find my post in this thread helpful...(I'm a newbie and can't post links, so...) search the forums here for the thread: "my computer will not recognize my curve 8830 I am going crazy"
    01-06-09 10:57 PM
    jajajjaajjaajja!!!!!!!! guess wat i had same issue and i read so many thing and i try a few the succesful one is jus plug and unplug ur bb from the usb wire a few time its a reboot driver it works
    09-14-10 11:36 PM
    . . .

Almost certain that it's a broken USB port on the phone. These can be fixed for about $30, but buyer beware, and be certain to insure and track your shipment when sending your phone out to be repaired.
    09-15-10 01:39 PM
    perhaps ..some pins of ur port maybe damaged
    10-17-10 08:21 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD