So, I have a problem. The other day I loaded a new theme onto my blackberry and at first, I noticed that it never showed up..so I read the help file that came with the theme and it suggested an update of the device OS. So, I went to my carrier's website and downloaded the appropriate update and when it was through, Blackberry Desktop Software loaded as expected and it began the update...but something went wrong, I think it went wrong when it was attempting to "connect to the ROM" (i think that's what it said) ..so it gave me an error message and told me to abort the install. Now whenever I try to connect my device to the PC, it doesn't even detect it in the Desktop Software, and a new drive doesn't even show up in My Computer. And when I plug it in the USB port, I get a message from Vista saying something along the lines of, "Windows does not have device drivers for your RIM Mass Storage Device"

I'm on Windows Vista if that explains anything. help would be greatly appreciated!!!
    09-10-08 05:38 PM
    Corrupted OS upgrades are tough. You are probably going to have to roll back to your original OS. You shouldn't have to install a driver for a Vista system, but I don't have Vista, so I can't give you advice on how to solve the driver problem.

There is a link to BMcClure937's Upgrade / Downgrade Procedure in my sig. I suggest you start your recovery effort there.
    09-10-08 11:10 PM
    Thanks, but I can't do any of that unfortunately because the computer doesn't detect the blackberry at all and doesn't know what to do w/ it. Like when I open Desktop Manager and at the bottom where it says "DEVICE CONNECTED:" it just says "None" and when I click on it, I can press "Detect" (which I have tried, and it still came up with nothing).
    09-10-08 11:28 PM
    Try uninstalling and reinstalling Desktop Manager. That should fix the device not recognized problem. If it doesn't, then look in the Device Manager on the PC for a disabled USB port. If you find one, repair / delete it (whatever option Vista gives you) and reboot your PC. I haven't had to do this, but I've seen it recommended before.
    09-10-08 11:34 PM
    I tried removing and reinstalling Desktop Manager all today and rebooting and none of it worked. But okay I looked in the Device Manager for any disabled ports, this is what I saw:

09-10-08 11:40 PM
    That's good info. Try right-clicking the RIM USB entry and uninstall it. Then reboot and plug the BlackBerry in again.
    09-10-08 11:44 PM
    ok, so I tried that, and nothing changed. Desktop Manager still doesn't detect anything...no drive shows up in My Computer.

I also researched around on the internet for different things to do and I found a "Wipe Handheld" topic and tried that from the Security Options menu, and that didn't help either. I don't understand though because the device still charges through the computer...? I feel like something needs to be done via the phone instead of the computer..is that possible?
    09-14-08 11:20 PM
    Did you follow the steps on How to Recover a Nuked Blackberry!
    09-14-08 11:30 PM
    yes, i just carefully followed the steps..and i didn't really make it past step 2 because the problem they're trying to fix isn't the problem i have at all.
    09-15-08 12:32 AM
    Sigh, I wish I could help yah, I am kinda lost after that, lol.
    09-15-08 11:19 AM
    jeff, will u help me. i recd 8100 today with disc from tmobile, but there is a software update to 4.3 or higher available on tmobile web site, however, with dial up, it takes 12hrs, if i had the url for the update, i could paste it in my dnld mgr; thats what i need the specific url to paste in my dnld mgr for the 8100 bb pearl; i have the disc with 4.2.2 but why load it when or if i could get the update loaded, i got the new phone today and am anxious to get goin, will u help me..........
    09-19-08 04:03 AM
    How long have you had the phone? If its under 1 year I would goto your carriers service desk and ask them to swap it under warranty or maybe they can restore it for you on a different pc other than vista.
    09-19-08 05:15 AM
    jeff, will u help me. i recd 8100 today with disc from tmobile, but there is a software update to 4.3 or higher available on tmobile web site, however, with dial up, it takes 12hrs, if i had the url for the update, i could paste it in my dnld mgr; thats what i need the specific url to paste in my dnld mgr for the 8100 bb pearl; i have the disc with 4.2.2 but why load it when or if i could get the update loaded, i got the new phone today and am anxious to get goin, will u help me..........
    The phone will have come with an OS installed. You don't have to install anything on the phone to start using it, and I strongly recommend you not try to upgrade the OS. In the first 30 days, you can return the phone and get a new one if there's a problem with it, but if you brick it trying to upgrade the OS, you won't be able to return it without restoring the OS that came on on it. At least wait until the 30 day return period expires. By then, you'll be much more familiar with your device and much more likely to succeed with the upgrade. And if any hardware problems crop up in the first 30 days, you can return the device for a new one with no problems.
    09-19-08 09:07 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD