Hi, I was given a blackberry pearl 8100 from a friend and unlocked it using mfi and reloaded the os back onto the phone without the vendor file. I know the phone is unlocked because the network is disabled under the sim card.

So I put a bell mobility sim card in the phone and it accepts the sim card, I dont get an error saying the sim card is rejected. I get a few text messaged from Bell mobility. And then my signal turns to SOS, and sometimes a get a few bars for a second and then it goes back to SOS. Does anybody know how to fix this problem?

I also dont have a data plan if that makes a difference.
    12-01-09 01:16 AM
    Don't need a data plan...I don't have one either. Had the same issue as you...phone would work for a while and then SOS. The problem is the clip holding in the SIM card...it's too loose.

What I did is tear a piece of paper folded to be the same size of the sim card (so, it's two layers of paper which are the same size of the sim). Put the sim card into the phone, put the paper on top, and then use the clip to lock everything in place. VOILA! No more SOS. You may want to try with a single layer of paper if you find there's too much pressure required to lock down with two layers.

Seriously....this is a well known issue, and this is the easiest solution.
    12-01-09 08:06 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD