I am going crazy trying to figure this out! I bought an unlocked 8220 flip and I cannot get it to register with BIS on att. I called tech support and even talked to RIM tech support but the problem I'm having is that the phone won't pick up the uppercase EDGE signal. All it shows is the lowercase edge and therefore I am unable to receive any service books, or host routing table data or any of the BIS features. I am at a loss on how to get the phone to pick up the correct data signal. I tried updating the device software, downgrading the software, wiping the phone, and copying settings from my Bold. Help!
    05-09-09 08:30 PM
    is the setting said data service on?
    05-09-09 08:58 PM
    hate to jump to conclusions, but where did you buy the phone from? sometimes people/dealers sell phones that have been blacklisted by RIM for being stolen or having a balance with the carrier. there is no solution for this.

however, there are other steps that can be tried before you actually come to this conclusion.

-have you changed the PIN/sent service books/etc. in BIS? BlackBerry Internet Service
    -maybe you have to mess with service books like you do on the storm to get it to work on at&t. not sure about this.

good luck
    05-09-09 09:26 PM
    All the data settings are on and active except for the EDGE. For whatever reason the phone will not connect to the AT&T EDGE.

I just got off the phone with AT&T again and the rep worked with me and a rep from RIM. They both said that all the settings were correct and that the phone SHOULD work. Nothing about it being blacklisted or anything like that.

As far as the service books go, I cannot send them to the phone through BIS because the phone wont connect to receive the data. Maybe if I can manually add the service books. Does anyone know where I can get the correct AT&T service books for the pearl flip or if that would even help?
    05-09-09 09:48 PM
    go to the forum section here for the storm how to section. THere is a post for how to get unlock storm working for att. on the bottom there is a zip file for att service books. Dl that and install it in. I think it will help you out. I did that for my storm and it works. Again I don't have a pearl flip yet but it is a generic att service book.

make sure you go to manager connection, mobile network option, and make sure it said data service is ON. im not sure if they ask you to check that yet.
    Last edited by touyenvng; 05-09-09 at 10:15 PM. Reason: edit
    05-09-09 10:04 PM
    I did that. Downloaded the service books and transferred them to the phone via backup and restore in DM. 8 service books copied over and are now showing in the phone.

Still no EDGE...
    05-09-09 10:19 PM
    i would contact the person you buy it from and get your money back. It's not getting data connection.
    05-09-09 10:27 PM
    I was just going to say that. I think there is something wrong with this phone because I have scoured the forums and everyone else seems to be able to get their flips to work!
    05-09-09 10:31 PM
    Yeap, i think so. The reason i think so is because my storm does the same thing depend on what radio code on the software i use. it keep going in and out of edge. So if a phone doesn't have the correct radio code it won't catch data connections. Since you upgraded the software and everything, it would be the phone.
    05-09-09 10:34 PM
    Did you input the correct data information for att? The wap.cingular.com info?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-10-09 01:55 PM
    I'm having the same issue with a blackberry pearl I purchased on ebay, no Edge(just lower case) no web browser, and much frustration.
    05-10-09 07:09 PM
    Before I go through too much trouble. I have a flip here that I need to get setup for someone in the office. They are currently not here but I want to make sure things are working as expected. Can I use at ATT card that is normally in an Iphone or 3g Data card to test blackberry service? Or do I need to call AT&T and have them temporarily put blackberry service on the card so I can test?
    05-11-09 10:29 AM
    you have to switch the data plan to a blackberry data plan.

I just got my bb flip in the mail. I bought it Roger branded locked. Unlocked it using a service refer from here. Work like a charm. Called up to push my service book. Updated my software. everything is working good.
    05-13-09 08:51 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD