Hi all,
    First post here. I searched forever and couldn't find the answer I needed, so I'm going to post a question and hopefully it hasn't been asked a million times. I have a new BB Pearl that's currently locked by Rogers. My question is, if I unlock it, will I be able to use non-Rogers ringtones, or does it need to be debranded? And if it needs to be debranded, does it have to be unlocked as well? I don't want to use it on another network, I just want to be able to put ringtones on that I get bluetoothed from other phones, etc.
    Thanks in advance for answering
    Aspi
    08-28-07 10:46 PM
    Nope, it should work fine. Plus, the ringtones are probably .mp3's anyway. Unlocked just means you can use the device with virtually any carrier. When you power the device on, you will still see the splash screen logo for the carrier that 'produced' the device...
    08-29-07 10:10 PM
    Hi all,
    First post here. I searched forever and couldn't find the answer I needed, so I'm going to post a question and hopefully it hasn't been asked a million times. I have a new BB Pearl that's currently locked by Rogers. My question is, if I unlock it, will I be able to use non-Rogers ringtones, or does it need to be debranded? And if it needs to be debranded, does it have to be unlocked as well? I don't want to use it on another network, I just want to be able to put ringtones on that I get bluetoothed from other phones, etc.
    Thanks in advance for answering
    Aspi
    Then why bother unlocking it...the ringtones can be transferred via bluetooth anyways. you cant transfer the ''rogers specific ones'' or any that are bought from rogers ringtone site, but any you create yourself will transfer fine without the device being unlocked, and even if it WAS unlocked you still would not be able to transfer the rogers bought ringtones from phone to phone they are locked to the device, other devices you can change the attributes on the files and transfer them but not on BB as far as I know..what it really breaks down to is..unlocking your device for this purpose will not achieve anything, only good if you plan on using it on a diff network and the ring tones you create or others create are already transferrable through phone to phone.
    08-29-07 11:21 PM
    Then why bother unlocking it...the ringtones can be transferred via bluetooth anyways. you cant transfer the ''rogers specific ones'' or any that are bought from rogers ringtone site, but any you create yourself will transfer fine without the device being unlocked, and even if it WAS unlocked you still would not be able to transfer the rogers bought ringtones from phone to phone they are locked to the device, other devices you can change the attributes on the files and transfer them but not on BB as far as I know..what it really breaks down to is..unlocking your device for this purpose will not achieve anything, only good if you plan on using it on a diff network and the ring tones you create or others create are already transferrable through phone to phone.

What he said hehehe

This was going to be my reply to the tee.

The only addition was going to be... do you really care about ring tones that much? I sure don't but everyone is different I guess.
    08-30-07 06:09 AM
    Thanks for the replies. In response to the last poster, no I don't care that much about ringtones, but I've had problems with Canadian phone companies essentially locking their phones so that nothing additional can be put on them except for things purchased from the phone company, and ringtones was simply the easiest way to convey what I wanted to do. Hence, the "debranding" request. Thanks to the other posters, I'm glad I don't have to unlock my phone! Always more trouble than it's worth....
    08-30-07 03:15 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD