Hello fellow CrackBerry users! I seems to be having two issues with my almost brand new BlackBerry Pearl Flip 8220.
    1) It has been dropping calls lately, in full service areas. Any idea why this might be happening? Or should I be calling Rogers and asking them?
    2) My phone has been turning itself off probably once a week, and it's not because the battery is dead. Last night for example, I charged it, unplugged it when it was done charging before bed, left it turned on on my nightstand, and this morning it was turned off. And the battery usage looks as though it was on for most or all of the night, so I'm not sure if it was and turned off just before I got up, or if it wasn't and I have a terrible battery life.... Help?

This phone is essentially brand new. My old one bit the dust and Rogers sent me a refurbished BBerry about mid October. So far it has been working beautifully. Now, I do NOT do software updates because that is what screwed up my last phone, and as I do not have a data package for it I have no reason to. So, thoughts anyone?
    11-22-09 11:40 AM
    Hello fellow CrackBerry users! I seems to be having two issues with my almost brand new BlackBerry Pearl Flip 8220.
    1) It has been dropping calls lately, in full service areas. Any idea why this might be happening? Or should I be calling Rogers and asking them?
    2) My phone has been turning itself off probably once a week, and it's not because the battery is dead. Last night for example, I charged it, unplugged it when it was done charging before bed, left it turned on on my nightstand, and this morning it was turned off. And the battery usage looks as though it was on for most or all of the night, so I'm not sure if it was and turned off just before I got up, or if it wasn't and I have a terrible battery life.... Help?

This phone is essentially brand new. My old one bit the dust and Rogers sent me a refurbished BBerry about mid October. So far it has been working beautifully. Now, I do NOT do software updates because that is what screwed up my last phone, and as I do not have a data package for it I have no reason to. So, thoughts anyone?
    Well...I know you said you don't do software upgrades...but with all due respect...you should.

If you're going to have a "smartphone", you should not at all be afraid of doing software upgrades simply because you've had a bad experience in the past. I've had bad experiences, we all have I'm sure...but that has never stopped me or most of us from continuing to do it. It really is pretty darn safe and easy

Simply because your Flip is new does NOT mean it has the latest OS on it.

Sorry edwob...but if you refuse to do updates, you're going to have issues with pretty much any device you own.

That rebooting issue you have....could very easily be solved with an upgrade

You should upgrade to the newest OS .305 located at the top of this forum page.

Good luck.
    Last edited by Hoggles; 11-22-09 at 04:31 PM.
    11-22-09 04:28 PM
    Thanks Hoggles. Someone else advised that I NOT do software upgrades since I was not putting a data plan on the phone... Perhaps I will back it up and try putting the new software on to see what that does? I'm such a noob with my BlackBerry and I just don't know what to do!!!

Anyway, thank you for the advice, I will try updating it and see if that works.
    11-23-09 12:39 AM
    Thanks Hoggles. Someone else advised that I NOT do software upgrades since I was not putting a data plan on the phone... Perhaps I will back it up and try putting the new software on to see what that does? I'm such a noob with my BlackBerry and I just don't know what to do!!!

Anyway, thank you for the advice, I will try updating it and see if that works.
    Hi edwob,

Yeah just fyi, updating your Operating System has absolutely nothing to do with whether or not you have a data plan....nothing at all. Updating your OS can possibly solve some of the issues you spoke about in your original post....random shut offs etc.

It really is a safe and easy process...even without much computer or Blackberry experience Just make sure to follow all of the many tutorials and instructions very carefully. Once you do it a few times, you'll be a pro at it....no doubt!

Especially since you do not have a data plan...you really don't need to "back up" anything at all. All your contacts, pictures and things of that nature will still be there after the update.

Here are some more detailed links to tutorials that cover just about any situation you might find yourself in....

http://crackberry.com/blackberry-101...ting-system-os

http://crackberry.com/how-downgrade-...erating-system

http://crackberry.com/blackberry-101...ked-blackberry

Give it a shot...or if you don't feel comfortable...maybe someone you know would

Cheers!
    11-23-09 01:18 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD