I have had my blackberry pearl (8100) for over a year now and it ran just fine until recently. The select / trackball button started getting pressed automatically, selecting which ever menu / icon was highlighted.

I have tried resetting the phone, opening up the trackball compartment and cleaning it with alcohol swabs, re-installing to the latest OS after doing a "Clear Phone / Delete Everything Procedure" but still no fruit.

After this I experimented a couple of things with same results.

1) I took out the trackball making sure there is nothing on the select button sensor, still the phone keeps selecting and selecting and selecting ...

2) I've kept the trackball inside as it should be and it stopped selecting until I moved the ball up and down the same process began again.

Please provide your insight on this issue and how to fix it.

Thanks in advance!
    06-22-09 10:42 AM
    Unfortunately I would have to guess that the contact spring cup on the board has failed. That will require an exchange through RIM most likely which is expensive. Maybe a cellphone repair shop can fix it, I've never looked into a repair like that.
    06-23-09 04:55 AM
    vancoeuronet com/]vancoeuronetcom
    06-23-09 05:17 AM
    Re-install your OS/Firmware

Just had the same problem and this fixed it.

Good Luck
    06-27-09 06:37 PM
    Well as I mentioned earlier, I have reinstalled the OS to the latest version available. But still same issue. How do I reinstall it's firmware? Is it same as re-installing the OS?

By the way, has no one noticed the spam post in this thread?
    06-28-09 10:14 AM
    Firmware/OS, Potato/Potato. It's the same thing. Yeah, I noticed that, and chose to ignore it, this time.
    06-28-09 10:22 AM
    well i have similiar kind of problem my BB pearl 8100 keypads gets hangs all the time all the trackball works but it does not select and go to any other menus...do u have any idea how can i fix it
    06-28-09 10:58 AM
    I managed to fix my phone on my own.

As I am unable to post links here, please PM and I will share with you guys the procedure so that it may help someone who is in a similar boat.
    06-28-09 01:05 PM
    I've made enough posts so I will post the procedure here.

I managed to fix my phone on my own. I will share with you guys so that it may help someone who is in a similar boat.

First try this

Secondly try these two

If you follow the instructions carefully, you will probably fix your phone. It's simple and effective!

Hope this helps you guys!
    06-29-09 10:48 AM
    The link within 2 was the best find of all:

Trackball Selection Repair Guide
    06-29-09 08:44 PM
    BFs 8120 is having same issues. Hopefully this will solve it once and for all!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-30-09 06:16 PM
    try cleaning with clorox wipes worked for me
    07-03-09 02:04 AM
    Ok so BF followed the instructions in the link reposted by BigBadWolf and it solved the problem! Now his trackball selects and he doesn't have to use enter!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-03-09 09:08 AM
    Kick booty Jen!
    07-03-09 09:24 AM
    I have had my blackberry pearl (8100) for over a year now and it ran just fine until recently. The select / trackball button started getting pressed automatically, selecting which ever menu / icon was highlighted.

I have tried resetting the phone, opening up the trackball compartment and cleaning it with alcohol swabs, re-installing to the latest OS after doing a "Clear Phone / Delete Everything Procedure" but still no fruit.

After this I experimented a couple of things with same results.

1) I took out the trackball making sure there is nothing on the select button sensor, still the phone keeps selecting and selecting and selecting ...

2) I've kept the trackball inside as it should be and it stopped selecting until I moved the ball up and down the same process began again.

Please provide your insight on this issue and how to fix it.

Thanks in advance!
    take a Qtip put some glass cleaner on the tip and roll it allover the trackball this will do the job your skin has oil on it and it get the ball messed up and usa a can of air on it to .tbg40.
    07-03-09 11:35 AM
    If you look at this link Trackball Selection Repair Guide, you'll see the problem described goes much deeper than that.
    07-03-09 11:53 AM
    Newbie here. Just bought my first BB from a guy at work for $25. Phone had a few issue, but so far I fixing them one by one thanks to this awesome forum. I just followed the links in this thread and got my trackball select function working again.

Thanks again for all the great leads and info!
    09-13-09 08:17 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD