Hi all,

My trackball had been acting up again, refusing to go left-right so I again did the old remove the trackball, clean it with alcohol, blow out the lint routine.

Unfortunately this time I got into major trouble. The "copper dome" which is located in the centre of the four LEDs and which acts as a "spring" for when you push down on the trackball, came adrift and blew away when I hit it with a blast of air from a can.

This tiny, coppery colored bit of plastic has disappeared (I even dismantled the phone to see if it was inside). Problem is, without it the phone is a useless brick!

Can anyone suggest a fix, or, if you happen to have an otherwise dead Pearl, would you consider giving or selling me the trackball and this dome so I can repair my darling?
    09-26-08 02:20 PM
    I believe I read in one of these forums that you can buy replacement parts for all BB's. Off the top head I can't remeber for the life of me what it was but I am sure with this huge knowledge base of users. It won't be long till somebody identifies it. I wish you good luck though.Sorry I could't be anymore help. BERRY ON
    Last edited by mdorrett; 09-26-08 at 03:12 PM.
    09-26-08 03:09 PM
    09-26-08 03:12 PM
    I just bought the cnn.cn trackball assembly (no chrome coverplate) for 8.99 plus $5 shipping and eleven cents for currency exchange costs. Not bad to replace the trackball assembly I disassembled and couldn't put back together due to the fact that I bent the silver part holding it all together. Hasn't yet arrived but I will fill you in on the experience upon arrival.
    09-26-08 03:56 PM
    My copper part didn't fall off, but now it doesn't "spring" back the trackball, I have warranty and insurance (via best buy, i have accidental and everything) so im taking it back this weekend.
    09-26-08 04:13 PM
    Just an FYI, on my BB Pearl, there is a bottom right button, looks like an ENTER key on a keyboard, that works in place of pusing the ball. My phone has been broken for a year now, I got a replacement ball, but for some reason it still won't click...I gave up and just use that key now.
    10-27-08 01:42 PM
    blackberry8100parts.

check it out. cheapest around. With chrome coverplate.
    10-31-08 10:55 PM
    Just an FYI, on my BB Pearl, there is a bottom right button, looks like an ENTER key on a keyboard, that works in place of pusing the ball. My phone has been broken for a year now, I got a replacement ball, but for some reason it still won't click...I gave up and just use that key now.

This is how you fix the click function of the trackball

w w w . a u d s o u n d . n e t / _ s h a r e / b b t b _ s e l e c t _ f i x . p d f
    05-17-09 02:39 PM
    Unfortunately any one who has this problem of losing the copper button underneath the trackball from doing a little self cleaning ( I myself included). There is only two options you have in order to fix this. One is to as said before just use your enter button as much as you can and learn what different menu options you have. The other is to go on eBay and purchase a broken BlackBerry (this is what I have done for $31). None of the online replacement part stores carry this part. It is not a replacement part such as everything else is. Hopefully someone will take the time and reproduce it and sell it but till then we are left out.
    05-17-09 09:07 PM
    Thanks, johnanthony618.

I cleaned the contact point in the trackball detent spring on my curve with great success. I did end up weakening the adhesive on the kapton tape holding it down, but was able to add some extra kapton strips to hold the assembly in place. We'll see how long this fix lasts.

-Jason

This is how you fix the click function of the trackball

w w w . a u d s o u n d . n e t / _ s h a r e / b b t b _ s e l e c t _ f i x . p d f
    08-27-09 03:36 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD