I don't know if this is carrier (Sprint) related or phone, but i only get 3 rings before VM picks up. this was not the case with my old flip phone thru them, I had plenty of time. I called Sprint and he "couldn't find" the timeout setting for VM. he said that option had been removed for some reason and to call back in a few MONTHS to see if it had been readded. I'm thinking this has to be carrier related rather than phone related, but I wondered if anyone else has had experience with this?
    02-28-08 11:34 AM
    Yes its carrier specific. VZW default is 30 seconds, not sure bout Sprint.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-28-08 11:38 AM
    A little of both but more so carrier. Do you have your phone set to vibrate and ring? As you know it can't do both at the same time. So since it vibrates first, then goes to ring whatever you have your vibrate set to 1,2 or 3 will count as rings. Follow me?
    You should be able to call your carrier and have them increase the time before VM kicks in. I've done it but I'm on Verizon. I'm sure Sprint can do it to. Maybe see if you can get a different CS Rep.
    02-28-08 11:39 AM
    A little of both but more so carrier. Do you have your phone set to vibrate and ring? As you know it can't do both at the same time. So since it vibrates first, then goes to ring whatever you have your vibrate set to 1,2 or 3 will count as rings. Follow me?
    You should be able to call your carrier and have them increase the time before VM kicks in. I've done it but I'm on Verizon. I'm sure Sprint can do it to. Maybe see if you can get a different CS Rep.
    That's the thought path I was on, call back. I did realize that the phone has no control over that VM time because, as you said, the vibrate counts as a ring, and the ring will . I have heard that other carriers can control this, and I would think it would be a fairly basic account feature. The explanation the guy went into was a little too dramatic, Nextel, CDMA, used to have it but removed the option... if they really did remove that option that's kinda stupid. The number of rings the caller hears are 2 or 3 less than with my old phone, so i figured it was an account setting... Thanks.
    Last edited by thereisnospoon; 02-28-08 at 12:17 PM.
    02-28-08 12:13 PM
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If anyone is on O2 in the UK here's the settings for an 8310. Type:
    **61*901*11*30#
    Then press the green call button. You should get a message back but it won't really tell you anything. It worked for me and now I have 30 seconds of ringing before O2 VM kicks in.
    07-23-08 02:56 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD