So, I am considering getting a 8220. Ive had a curve since it came out. Ive tried numorous other phones and blackberries along the way. Ive always had a little place in my heart for flip phones.

So, I was just wondering everyones general thoughts on the Blackberry flip. I love my curve I just feel like its time for something new.

What do you love/hate about it? Especially coming from a full QWERTY keyboard.
    12-01-08 04:03 PM
    So, I am considering getting a 8220. Ive had a curve since it came out. Ive tried numorous other phones and blackberries along the way. Ive always had a little place in my heart for flip phones.

So, I was just wondering everyones general thoughts on the Blackberry flip. I love my curve I just feel like its time for something new.

What do you love/hate about it? Especially coming from a full QWERTY keyboard.
    The full QWERTY keyboard will be the only drawback for you. Other than that, the 8220 is a full-featured BB with great functions and I have yet to have an issue with mine. I purchased my Flip the day it was released and I've done a Battery Pull maybe 3 times. All of which were 3rd party apps problems. The 4.6 OS is rock solid (I have 4.6.0.151) and looks great. The only other issue I can think of is the MicroUSB plug. You'll have to find something else to do with the MiniUSB cables you have or, purchase a few adapters. Good Luck to you.
    12-01-08 06:10 PM
    Ohh I completely forgot it uses the micro usb.

I've used a suretype phone before but never as my main phone.

Is it sluggish at all? I know my curve gets pretty slow sometimes switching between applications. But, I think that's just the lack of RAM.
    12-01-08 07:10 PM
    not that I know of. I'm in love with my flip xD
    12-01-08 07:14 PM
    I love the look of it and I love my curve. So I'm hoping that I can end up getting one.

I just paid a guy over on blackberryforums for one. So hopefully I end up getting it.

Then I just have to unlock it for ATT.
    12-01-08 07:19 PM
    I read a blog on this site where the author had a few apps running at the same time and noted the "slight" difference in performance.

I tried this out with the following apps running in the background:
    Google Mobile App.
    FreeRange RSS Reader
    DataVault e-Wallet
    Yahoo! Go 3.0
    WeatherEye

I then opened the OEM browser (on the EDGE network) at started to browse around. Then made a phone call.

I'm dead serious when I say this....NO DIFFERENCE IN PERFORMANCE WHATSOEVER!! My File Free is still at 45MB and I've checked it a number of times.

I don't know why I didn't try this out before but, now I'm really impressed.

Also, I just started my Media Player (with the BT headset on) and noticed no issues. I had the WiFi turned on this whole time (not connected to a network though).
    Last edited by BlackBerryBob; 12-02-08 at 02:28 PM.
    12-02-08 02:24 PM
    wow that is impressive. Did you read the Blackberry Maximus about the Flip 8220? Thats what made me seriously consider it instead of spending 500 on a bold.

My curve just get so slow sometimes and i usually am only around 14 mb free.
    12-02-08 03:38 PM
    wow that is impressive. Did you read the Blackberry Maximus about the Flip 8220? Thats what made me seriously consider it instead of spending 500 on a bold.

My curve just get so slow sometimes and i usually am only around 14 mb free.
    That may be the thread I was talking about.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-02-08 04:59 PM
    Overall, I like my 8220. But I have to say< it is a scratch magnet!!! I always make sure before i put it in my pocket, there is no change, or nothing metal> when i set it down, i set it down on a piece of paper, and still scratches! The other thing, which is a biggty for me is the Browser. It is so slow when on EDGE. Most websites load at a decent speed, But like Crackberry, or Walmart, it takes 3 minutes to pull the site completely up. On my Curve, it's usually under a minute. Lastnight my wife and i put our phones next to each other(she has the 8120), and went on to crackberry, she blew the doors off my phone. In Wi-fi, it makes a big difference, but still slower than the 8120 or 8320. Also, the pages dont render very well. Hope this helps. Like I said, if you like it for texting, and e-mails, and casual browsing, you'll like it. Peace!
    12-04-08 08:03 AM
    I ordered the 8220 BSE skin so I can completely skin my phone ... but at the moment I've got a screen protector on the front and on the screen.
    12-04-08 08:41 AM
    I too ditched my Curve for the 8220. Initially I hated the 8220 as it lagged to open programs and entering text. The BB Browser seemed to be operating on old 28kbps regardless of WiFi/Edge. Regardless of the numerous battery pulls, the problems continued.

I upgraded the OS to 4.6.0.180 and I'm much happier now. The browser is much quicker and Opera Mini flies. However, some key entries still seem to lag requiring additional attempts.

Thought I had another issue last night when I speed dialed voicemail. Each time it would give me a busy tone and lock up the phone. The busy tone would get louder and continue until the battery was pulled. Closing the phone nor pushing end would make it stop. I changed the default 1-800# to my actual phone number in the voicemail settings to clear things up.

As for scratches, I've been carrying mine around in a felt bag that was issued with a Mp3 player I bought years ago. I ordered a BSE and a clip on holster over the weekend. I hope they arrive soon as I'm tired of fishing for the phone prior to each use.
    12-04-08 01:20 PM
    I use the BB OEM Pearl (8120) holster and so far no scratches.
    12-04-08 01:32 PM
    What is the clock speed difference between the 83xx, 82xx, and 81xx?
    12-04-08 01:51 PM
    how would you remove minor scratch of the face of the phone?
    12-04-08 03:59 PM
    What is the clock speed difference between the 83xx, 82xx, and 81xx?
    They're all using the 312mhz processor. Difference is in Flash memory....88xx, 83xx, and 81xx use 64mb flash memory, and the 82xx uses 128mb flash memory.
    12-08-08 12:44 AM
    That's too bad. It's less of a reason to buy a 8220. I think my 8100 is painfully slow. Have you ever tried to use the slide show documents to go app? It takes forever to load each slide.
    12-09-08 02:17 PM
    That's too bad. It's less of a reason to buy a 8220. I think my 8100 is painfully slow. Have you ever tried to use the slide show documents to go app? It takes forever to load each slide.
    They load pretty fast on my Flip.
    12-09-08 02:20 PM
    Overall, I like my 8220. But I have to say< it is a scratch magnet!!!!
    I figured it would be, and I hate scratches. First thing out of the box I stretched some clear box tape over the front to protect it until my invisible shield arrived

12-11-08 06:56 PM
    Where do you get an "invisible shield"? This sounds like something that I would want.

12-14-08 07:53 AM
    Where do you get an "invisible shield"? This sounds like something that I would want.
    You can get skins everywhere, including the CrackBerry store (gotta kiss the hand that feeds you). I got a front-only skin (covers both displays) from Zagg before I discovered CrackBerry. I'm not too pleased with the Zagg, it has a slightly dimpled surface.

12-14-08 11:08 AM
    I totally advocate the Best Skin Ever (Best Skins Ever, Inc. Home Page) MUCH cheaper than Invisible Shield by Zagg. It was a cinch to put on & love that it doesn't detract from the look of my Red Flip. I got 1 scratch on it while waiting for the shield to arrive. Once I put on the shield, you couldn't tell. I even did the key test after putting it on & didn't mess it up!
    12-14-08 06:05 PM
    I totally advocate the Best Skin Ever Best Skins Ever, Inc. Home Page) MUCH cheaper than Invisible Shield by Zagg. It was a cinch to put on & love that it doesn't detract from the look of my Red Flip. I got 1 scratch on it while waiting for the shield to arrive. Once I put on the shield, you couldn't tell. I even did the key test after putting it on & didn't mess it up!
    Only $7.99? I like that price! Can you post a pic of your flip with the skin on it? I surfed to the bse website but they do not have a pic of it with a skin installed. Thanks.

12-16-08 03:18 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD