I tried to dial a phone number today (1888)BESTBUY. Well, it was impossible with this phone. The number keys don't correspond with the number keys on a typical phone, so I had no idea how to actually dial the number. On my old Treo, I could pull up a standard dial pad on the screen so that I could tell what the numbers are in this situation. There's gotta be a way to do this on the BB.

Any ideas?
    02-14-08 01:48 AM
    you can actually just dial the 1-800-BESTBUY, and the BB will translate it into the correct numerical number, Try it out!!!
    Last edited by cjcarbone; 02-14-08 at 02:26 AM.
    02-14-08 02:01 AM
    That's pretty cool

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-14-08 02:21 AM
    02-14-08 04:17 AM
    Man I wish that worked when I had my Q. I don't know how many times I had to dial on my wifes phone and then after the call, wirte the number down. BB's are awesome!
    02-14-08 07:05 AM
    Man I wish that worked when I had my Q. I don't know how many times I had to dial on my wifes phone and then after the call, wirte the number down. BB's are awesome!
    Furgus...
    That's why the Q is holding the door to your office open now!
    02-14-08 08:04 AM
    you can actually just dial the 1-800-BESTBUY, and the BB will translate it into the correct numerical number, Try it out!!!
    Thanks for the help guys. After reading the above link, I was able to figure it out- but you can't just start typing. You have to enter the 1888 part, and then hold down the alt key while you type in the BESTBUY letters.

I wish your method worked. Am I missing something?
    02-14-08 10:06 AM
    sorry i forgot that part. dial 1-888 ALT RIGHT SHIFT BESTBUY. if you press the caps lock, it works perfect.
    02-14-08 10:18 AM
    Its quite easy. Simply enter the numbers traditionally and hold ALT for any letters.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-14-08 10:18 AM
    This is just one of the reasons why RIM is so clever! things work the way they should.. you know? Like with MY Q, i had to have a special banner that showed the dial pad numbers... so much extra effort!

BB 4 LIFE ha
    02-14-08 09:30 PM
    When you want to dial a text number all you have to do is press the alt and then the cap keys. This locks in the key pad and prevents you from having to hold the alt key. Makes dialing numbers a lot easier for people with large fingers.
    07-19-09 12:00 PM
    i always wondered how to do this!
    07-19-09 02:38 PM
    i tried it on my bb curve and it still not working. It just wont recognized the letter to the corresponding numbers. Is there another setting somewhere that i am not doing correctly.
    (Note: on my home screen, i can enter a letter and it will pull out all of contact options i want to call)
    Do you think i might be in the wrong setting? help its so annoying i can dial the number correctly and dont know the corresponding nmbrs to letters
    01-03-10 11:51 PM
    So when you're entering a number (we'll just use the Best Buy # since it's been done) you enter 1-888... Then hold down the alt key while you push the B-E-S-T-B-U-Y keys.

If this is not working, I don't know what could be wrong. It always worked on my Pearl and also works on my Tour.
    01-04-10 01:00 PM
    OK this worked ..
    02-20-10 07:53 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD