I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem with the 8130. Sometimes when I am typing a text or messenger, when I use a word that ends in Y it automatically puts a period even though it may be in the middle of a sentence. It doesn't do it all the time but sometimes it does it quite often. If you try to correct it, it will say error uncaught exception and close out the text. Is this just something with my phone or a problem with the OS? Please advise. Thanks.
    08-08-08 10:46 AM
    That's a very odd problem. If you disable autotexting (Options/SMS text/Disable Autotext: Yes) does it go away?
    08-08-08 11:02 AM
    That has never happened to me. When I need a period I just hit the space key twice. You are not accidently doing that are you?
    08-08-08 11:05 AM
    That has never happened to me. When I need a period I just hit the space key twice. You are not accidently doing that are you?
    No. It locks up and then gives me that error that says uncaught exception and then it automatically closes the text and I have to start over. I have only had the phone for 2 months, you think I should check into getting a replacement from my service provider?
    08-08-08 12:29 PM
    That's a very odd problem. If you disable autotexting (Options/SMS text/Disable Autotext: Yes) does it go away?
    Haven't tried that since I love the autotext feature.
    08-08-08 12:29 PM
    No. It locks up and then gives me that error that says uncaught exception and then it automatically closes the text and I have to start over. I have only had the phone for 2 months, you think I should check into getting a replacement from my service provider?
    Have you installed a beta OS? If you haven't, you could consider wiping and reinstalling the current OS. That would give you a fresh copy, and should correct any corrupted databases.

If you've installed a beta OS, roll back to an official version and see if that fixes it. You have to be running an official OS when you return the device anyway.

If neither step fixes the problem, I'd return it. You have a year warranty. I don't know how hard it might be for you to demonstrate the problem in the store.
    08-08-08 02:54 PM
    Thanks for the advice. Yea it would probably never do it if I was in the store trying to show someone. I did call tech support and they had never heard of it. They said I need to back up everything and wipe it clean so I am going to try that when I get home.
    08-08-08 03:46 PM
    I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem with the 8130. Sometimes when I am typing a text or messenger, when I use a word that ends in Y it automatically puts a period even though it may be in the middle of a sentence. It doesn't do it all the time but sometimes it does it quite often. If you try to correct it, it will say error uncaught exception and close out the text. Is this just something with my phone or a problem with the OS? Please advise. Thanks.
    Mine did something similar and I had to get the phone replaced. i even tried reloading the HHS
    08-08-08 09:04 PM
    My phone does the same thing.... I just live with it... Sometimes in bbm ill type a word and it'll just disappear, so ill type it again and bam disappears again! It is sooo annoying! But my phones pretty scratched up, so I doubt they would take it back, lol

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-09-08 05:30 AM
    On my 8130, I get a similar error with words that contain the letter y. The biggest problems occur with "you" or "your," but I've also seen the issue with "my" or "truly." Odd. In any case, one of two things happen. If I'm on the first line of the text message or E-mail when I'm typing, the cursor jumps to the top line of the message (out of the text entry field). If I'm not on the first line, when I complete the word, the cursor spaces forward in the middle of the word (so, "you" becomes "yo u, with the cursor in front of the "u") and USUALLY jumps to somewhere in the line above the current line. Bizarre. This happens about 50% of the time when typing "you" or "your." I'm running v4.2.2.170. Very frustrating problem. Tech support from my service provider has been no help.

I work with someone who has a related problem, in which the word "no" is replaced by a gibberish words.

In both my case and my coworker's case, we've tried turning autotext off and the behavior doesn't change.
    08-15-08 09:29 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD