Hey guys, I've been lurking around the forum for a couple weeks now but didn't bother making an account until now. First of all...for the good. I just got a BB Pearl 8130 for Verizon and...wow. Let's just say I'm in love The pearl is superior to any phone I've ever had in (almost) every way, and I don't know how I lived without one before. I can officially say I've joined the crowd. However I'm stuck on one problem -the text message limit. I've tried to do my research, I really have, just so I wouldn't have to do this but I'm afraid it I have no other choice than to post a new thread. Sorry in advance if this comes to nothing. So my problems lies specifically with the character limit -160 characters. On my old chocolate I could send "books" to put it bluntly, and I often exchanged long messages with my friends, and now switching to this limited version I find it unbelievable annoying and completely ridiculous that a phone that is so advanced in so many ways should be inhibited and held down by such a trivial problem. So basically I'm asking if there's anyway possible to get around that limit. I've done a bit of research, so here's what I know now. 1) It's carrier specific i.e. on the other Pearls this is not a problem 2) People will probably suggest MMS but this not really an option b/c my gf can't recieve MMS messages and that's primarily who I send long messages to. 3) E-mailing to a phone via the @vtext.com address is still limited to 160, and e-mailing via the @vzwpix.com won't work either because it comes in via a MMS 4) Some have said this could be fixed in OS 5.0, but considering Verizon is incredible slow on everything and haven't even gone to 4.5 yet, I don't have much hope. 6) EMS is what enables the other phones to do this, so I guess that's where the problem really lies. 7) Yes, I am aware SMS stands for short messaging service or whatever, so please just don't use that as a a rebuttal to my post.

So that's about it guys. Any advice anyone has will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

-I really hope there's something because I'm still in my thirty days and if there's no solution I would probably return it, and I would hate myself forever if I had to return it.
    Last edited by Imperial Flow; 09-04-08 at 10:34 PM.
    09-04-08 10:19 PM
    Welcome to cb. Sms stands for short messaging service, and is not carrier specific; its that way with all blackberry devices. You can, however, compose an mms with no actual picture attached which will allow you no character limit.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-04-08 10:22 PM
    Hmmm I used to have a Chocolate (the older one) and had a 160 character limit as well...

09-04-08 10:31 PM
    Oh that's right I forgot to mention that -yes I am aware that SMS means short messages, but that's not what I'm after. Thanks for the quick reply, but like I said in my first post MMS is not a good alternative for me. Maybe I'll make that a number 7...

V3NZ3L- were you sending messages to other Vzw phones or to ones on other characters? Because you should not have had a limit to other Verizon phones..
    09-04-08 10:32 PM
    Oh that's right I forgot to mention that -yes I am aware that SMS means short messages, but that's not what I'm after. Thanks for the quick reply, but like I said in my first post MMS is not a good alternative for me. Maybe I'll make that a number 7...
    Honestly, I'm on wap and the condensed version of your post was incredibly long, so I didn't read the whole thing.

So what are you looking for? A fix which will allow you to compose an sms longer than 160 characters? Its not gonna happen, and isn't a reason to return your phone, certainly!!

09-04-08 10:34 PM
    so I have a difference here
    as far as I can remember on my curve I could go past the limit and it would obviously just send more than one message
    I know on the bold I can do this however that is 4.5 so wouldn't really help you
    09-04-08 10:50 PM
    Actually it is carrier dependant to the fact that let's say t mobile you can send up to 6 messages of 160 characters it just breaks them up. People with alltel and verizon I believe can only send 160 at a time

09-04-08 10:58 PM
    Oh haha no worries Jenaywin. Ya I was pretty sure it was carrier specific. And unfortunately it might be enough reason...you have know idea how annoying it is!!! But I actually am running the latest beta software, 4.5.0.66, so I'm positive it doesn't fix it. Grr stupid verizon.
    09-04-08 11:15 PM
    It is NOT carrier specific. It must depend on the device and/or the OS. I have been with Alltel many years and my Pearl is the first device I've had with this limitation. Previously I used WM based smartphones, most recently their PPC6800, and they would all automatically break msgs down to multiple 160 character msgs. That is one feature I definitely miss but certainly nothing that would ever make me even consider EVER giving up my berry addiction!

09-05-08 07:16 AM
    It is NOT carrier specific. It must depend on the device and/or the OS.
    Correct. The 8130 does NOT support Enhanced Messaging Service (>160 char) on any carrier.
    09-05-08 07:51 AM
    hmm does the 8120?
    09-05-08 08:48 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD