After a few days of busy reading postings from this and other sites finding ways to read/write Chinese on my Telus 8130 Pearl, I am happy to announce that I am now able to read Chinese in mixed TC/SC/English setting. No inputting yet.

Following the thread, I downloaded and installed from Telus (my carrier), the v4.5 device software upgrade last night, which surprised me coming with a full set of CJK.alx and Chinese (Traditional and Simpilifed) files, even both BB and Telus support advised that I would need a third party software to do it. I am now able to read eMails, in mixed T/C Chinese and English text. NO input methods are found in this version of device software.

For input methods, I tried Indosat's v4.5 (listed for 8120) for its CJK.alx and associated font and input .cod files(which are dated newer than Telus' ones) being listed (PinYin, Wubi, Strokes). However, I could only get TC showing up in the Loader Installation, resulting in some SC characters are scrambled. In addition, I could not type in Chinese Text as my 8130's Option/Language does not show/allow any Chinese Input Methods.

I have since reverted back to the Telus CJK.alx (cod files from Indosat), for its easier showing Chinese Text.

1) Any other way or tweaks to inputting Chinese on my 8130 Pearl under the current setup?

2) I am also curious to find out how PinYin, Wubi etc would work on 8130 with not-a-full qwerty keyboard?
    03-24-09 03:05 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD