Hi, I'm new to the smartphone/blackberry scene, and I am heavily considering the 8120. But first I have a few questions:

I'm gonna go with T-Mobile (for free calls with Wi-Fi), but their data plan is $35 a month! Is it possible to use only Wi-Fi for internet browsing and email without being charged for data? Is there anything I'd have to do to ensure I don't ever go on the EDGE network and get charged for data? Do I have to talk to T-Mobile to have them turn off that data capability? Or is there just an option in the menu to ensure I am not charged? If I don't get a data plan, I'll still be able to use email/internet right?

Thanks a bunch! The phone looks great and I'm really looking forward to it!
    03-09-09 09:31 PM
    I don't think you can just press a button and data will be turned off, but I know that you can call your provide (t-mo in your case) and ask them to turn it off.
    03-10-09 06:35 AM
    you can turn the mobile network off and keep the wifi connection on. that way you are using only the wifi connection. i use my wifi at home and disconnect the mobile network. note that this will disable your calling features on the phone and hence all the blackberry features of the phone. but you can still surf the net.
    03-10-09 02:40 PM
    Yeah... definitely don't want to turn off my ability to get calls just to be sure I don't spend money on data.

I'll take Andy348's advice and call T-Mobile and have them turn it off.

Thanks for the info!
    03-10-09 10:03 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD