My mobile connection switches to "SOS" when out of TMobile range and sometimes when I go from room to room in my house. When I check the mobile connection i find it is on AT&T network and I have to manually search for networks and re-select TMo. I discussed this with TMo bb support and they did not have a solution. Has anyone else had this problem or have any suggestions?
    08-02-09 02:51 PM
    In the area where I live, I get this a lot. AT&T has a much stronger signal than T-Mobile. I find a lot of times that I am tethered to my laptop and I look and it is on the AT&T Network, even though when I connected it was T-Mobile. I have had to manually enter T-Mobile several times. How strong is your T-Mobile signal? The only solution I have found is a costly one, but I had to do it, as I don't plan on selling my house and moving. I purchased a signal booster and this doesn't happen as frequently. It still happens, and I do the manual thing again.
    From what I can understand from reading, T-Mobile and AT&T has a roaming partnership established, therefore as not to encounter roaming fees if you are on the T-Mobile Network. I have been with T-Mobile for a while and I haven't seen any extra charges on my bill.
    08-02-09 04:48 PM
    Thanks for the response. The TMo signal varies from room to room in the house (Philadelphia PA), AT&T must be stronger in some parts of the house and take over the signal. Unfortunately it does not revert back to TMo without my manually changing it which requires that I notice it is in SOS mode. There is no partnership between the two carriers, at least not in areas where I have 'roamed' (even beyond the confines of 'roaming' into my sitting room) hence I get no calls or messages as long as the device is on AT&T.
    It would be nice if I could reject auto connection to some carriers but even keeping the device on manual mode and choosing 'no' to auto connect does not resolve this problem.
    At least your experience validates the overall connection problem; not just my wacky phone.
    08-03-09 11:20 AM
    Do you have broadband and is UMA/Wi-Fi calling an option? I have cable internet at home and purchased a refurb T-Mo HiPort Wi-Fi router (WRTU54G) off eBay for $25. The 8220 switches easily from the cell network to UMA when I walk in the door.

UMA calling works with most WiFi routers, not just the T-Mo HiPort. I've used it with friends' Apple, D-Link, Linksys and 2Wire routers, as well as hotspots in restaurants, bookstores, coffee shops and hotel suites.
    08-03-09 12:18 PM
    Thanks Hubermania,
    I do not have the purchased TMo UMA option but do note intermittent UMA connection when at home. Phone goes from GPRS to UMA and back throughout the house with occasional hang-ups in SOS (ATT highjack mode).
    Didn't think UMA option was worth paying for as I have unlimited minutes anyway as a 'legacy' TMO member (I've been with them since it was Voicestream!)
    08-12-09 03:57 PM
    Thanks Hubermania,
    Didn't think UMA option was worth paying for as I have unlimited minutes anyway as a 'legacy' TMO member (I've been with them since it was Voicestream!)
    You are confusing the @HOME service (or whatever they call it), with simply placing calls over WiFi instead of the mobile network. Both work the same way - your phone connects to T-Mobile through Wifi (UMA mode). The difference is that @HOME costs ($10 I believe), but gives you unlimited calling. Just enabling UMA mode on your phone is free, but the minutes come off you plan.

FWIW, I've used UMA while out of the country, and was able to place and recieve calls as if I was sitting on my couch at home.
    08-12-09 05:21 PM
    UMA is hands down one of the best TMO options.....
    08-14-09 06:40 AM
    I am having the same issue T-Mo has send me new simcard and the phone still jumps to sos and ATT service. So they are sending me a new 8900 this week i have only been with thim for about 3 weeks and not happy at all so far. I am still optimistic though.
    08-24-09 09:28 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD