HI all, I have a T-mobile 8120 that's unlocked, I am using it on AT&T, well here is the problem, I update the os to 4.5, since then, everytime I uses wi-fi it showed up on my account as data usage. if I turn off the mobile network, the wi-fi wont connect...does anyone have this problem? I think I will downgrade back to the original OS. so far At&T is charging me like $35 in data usage which never showed up before until after I update to OS4.5
    10-07-08 08:35 AM
    Welcome to CrackBerry.

It is not the upgraded OS, it is your default Browser choice.

There are two functional (non-WAP) Browser you can choose from. If you use the Internet Browser, you will be charged. If you are using the Hotspot Browser, that is Wifi only and you should not be charged.

Browser / Options / Browser Configuration. Highlight the Browse at the top and press Menu / Change Option.
    10-07-08 12:18 PM
    Hi all, so I did what Reed said, check the browser configuration and it showed that its in HotSpot Browser. I also called AT&T and have them block all data usage, talked to techsupport, went thru all the settings. then I checked my email with the blackberry and guess what...I am still getting charged for data usage. I called AT&T again asking and making sure that they blocked my data usage...they did already...so why am I still getting charge for data usage?? Tech support have no answers....they ended up saying that its a T-mobile phone and it configured differently from AT&T phone therefore they dont know why....WTF????
    10-07-08 08:20 PM
    That's insane, a punt from ATT. They can block data usage; if they are blocking, they certainly can't charge. I would tell them to bite me on the charges.
    10-07-08 08:45 PM
    if you are checking your email, it is a data exchange and therefore you will be charged. you can have data blocked but you MUST also turn the data off on the device to make sure of "accidents." in all my cases, if a customer request a block and data is still exchange for some reason or in my opinion, excuse, the charges are credited. now for th reason it is still charged, you could have a text messaging plan that requires pay per usage, so internet usage is actually removed from a business point of view and not blocked. bottom line if you make the request from me to have it blocked, i will advise how to also turn it off of the device and if you choose to still access the feature, i will not credit.
    10-07-08 09:40 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD