Thinking about this device since the 9650 doesn't do it for me. Prob because I've had the Tour for months now. I honestly am losing love for BBs all together, but this Pearl 3G is kinda sweet. I like the compact, throw in the pocket look and feel to it.

I don't have experience with SureType though since I never owned a Pearl.

Which will other members here prefer?
    04-27-10 10:31 AM
    Judging from the BB website, if you select US as your country, it appears that the 9105 (T9) is not an option anyway. So that choice may not matter. Although, I suppose that could always change.

I had my Pearl for 3 years using the multi-tap method - one tap for the first letter on the key, and two quick taps for the second letter on the key. I was able to make do, but a couple months back, I decided to give SureType another try (my first attempt was a little frustrating). After only about two days, I got the hang of it. It helped that folks here gave me a better idea of what to expect, and how to ignore the "suggestions", until you really need it, and let it figure it out. It helps to be familiar with the qwerty layout. I wouldn't know what to do with the regular phone keypad alphabetized layout.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-27-10 11:10 AM
    Suretype is great.... I was so fast on my Pearl. I can't wait to get the 9100.
    04-27-10 11:16 AM
    t's more for use in the Eurasian market, where T9 keyboards can end up being much more efficient than qwerty. That's why Nokia uses it so much.

04-27-10 11:22 AM
    just remember, the keyboard is different, but it still uses the predictive typing. You don't hammer out letters like a regular dumb phone t9.
    04-27-10 11:25 AM
    Since I have never used suretype, can anyone give me any tips. I plan on getting this Pearl when it becomes available.
    04-27-10 01:05 PM
    I do want to 'hammer out letter like a regular dumb phone t9'. I really wish there will be a Swedish input layout with that one can enter the characters , and by simply 'hammering out letters'. Currently with a trackball/trackpad BlackBerry you would need to press down the a button and roll/move the cursor to the side till you get for example. With the Storm2 you touch and hold, but don't press the letter a and after a brief period of time a popup comes up from where you can choose the letter . Both these methods are either time consuming or very awkward to do with a single hand. RIM is very European and Scandinavian unfriendly to say the least (Germans also use these characters a lot [except ], but I type in Finnish and Swedish, hence my need for being able to type these characters in a simple manner). Hopefully the T9 Pearl 3G will work like Nokia handsets in regards to 'hammering out letters'.
    04-27-10 01:07 PM
    Since I have never used suretype, can anyone give me any tips. I plan on getting this Pearl when it becomes available.
    just use it, you'll get used to it pretty quick. You just type away. Is very simple.

On the storm you had the T9 keyboard available if i remember correctly and it acted like a normal t9. Im guessing you can probably turn that on with the 9105, but thats purely a guess.
    04-27-10 01:12 PM
    When I first saw SureType I thought I would hate it, but I actually really like it. And can type almost as fast as I can with a full QWERTY. The 9100 looks like the perfect device. I hope it (a CDMA variant) makes it's way to Verizon quickly.
    04-27-10 08:30 PM
    suretype is great. had a great experience on the 8100. as an at&t customer, im just glad i'll have one in may.
    04-27-10 09:24 PM
    suretype is great. had a great experience on the 8100. as an at&t customer, im just glad i'll have one in may.
    Since I am an AT&T customer, are you saying they will have the Pearl 9100? I sure hope so.
    04-28-10 12:10 AM
    I love SureType!

My favorite thing about having SureType is the ease of typing with one-hand.

As a current Pearl Flip user (my business BB) and having the original Pearl previously, I can't wait for the 9100 to come out.

It will very likely be my next BlackBerry.
    04-28-10 12:38 AM
    Since I am an AT&T customer, are you saying they will have the Pearl 9100? I sure hope so.
    AT&T will def be getting the Pearl 3G

In fact, in the video posted on Crackberry, its running on the AT&T network
    04-28-10 09:28 AM
    I'm on AT&T too, and I'm pretty sure we'll get it. They haven't had the 81xx series available for at least the past month now. The main BB site doesn't even list AT&T (or any other big name for that matter) as a carrier for the old Pearl anymore.

I'm guessing everyone is making room for the new Pearl. Besides that, one of the earliest leaked photos of the 9100 from last November showed that it was using AT&T's 3G bands.

04-28-10 09:31 AM
    I had 3 pearls before my bold and the suretype/keyboard on the pearl is insanely without a question superior. I've never met anyone that could type faster than me on my pearl.

If it wasn't for such a small screen, I would soooo consider a 9100 over my 9700 anyday.
    04-28-10 09:32 AM
    SureType is a better and faster tying expierence than a full QWERTY keyboard. The one thing to be sure of is to turn off the predictive text. That's a PITA!
    05-02-10 12:48 PM
    SureType is a better and faster tying expierence than a full QWERTY keyboard. The one thing to be sure of is to turn off the predictive text. That's a PITA!
    Why turn the predictive text off? Isn't it easier to have it on?
    05-02-10 01:00 PM
    Why turn the predictive text off? Isn't it easier to have it on?
    It wasn't for me when I was using my 8100. But I hate predictive text anyway. I used the multitap method.

05-02-10 02:35 PM
    Suretype is one of those things, people are like "How do you type on that thing?" I just say if you understood it and gave it a chance you'll never go back. Which causes a problem in itself, now I have to always have a blackberry suretype. I've tried all the "new" hot phones out there. Without BBM and Suretype I'm just lost. Which is why the pearl 9100 is so important for many people. I'm really fast with suretype.
    05-05-10 08:47 AM
    ^ Storm series also have SureType, although the implementation is limited to predictive input only: multitap will switch to the T9.
    05-09-10 10:04 AM
    turn suretype on, add "yo" words to its vocabulary, and you'll be a fan for life.
    05-09-10 10:44 AM
    turn suretype on, add "yo" words to its vocabulary, and you'll be a fan for life.
    LOL... good suggestion.
    05-09-10 10:56 AM
    I love suretype. I was able to type a lot faster on it than a standard t9 keypad
    05-24-10 02:37 AM
    SureType all the way! And I agree with turning off the predictive text. I find it completely annoying! It never suggests what I want and I can type 10x faster without it.

I can't wait until it's FINALLY released in the US and Verizon gets it!!!!
    05-24-10 12:08 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD