Supported media types on the BlackBerry smartphone

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Doc ID : KB05482
    Last Modified : 2007-02-12
    Document Type : What Is

Print this page

Environment
    BlackBerry� Device Software 4.2
    BlackBerry Desktop Manager 4.1 Service Pack 2 (4.1.2)
    BlackBerry Enterprise Server software version 4.1 Service Pack 2
    BlackBerry Pearl� 8100 smartphone
    BlackBerry 8800 smartphone

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Details
    You can open media files in the Media application, such as videos, ring tones, pictures, and songs that are stored in the BlackBerry smartphone memory or on a media card.

Note: For instructions on how to transcode audio and video files for the BlackBerry Media Player, see KB05419.

Music

The following Audio formats (including extensions) are supported:

ACC - audio compression formats AAC, AAC+, and EAAC+
    AMR - Adaptive Multi Rate-Narrow Band (AMR-NB) speech coder standard
    Supported AMR-NB rates are 4.75 KBps, 5.15 KBps, 5.9 KBps, 6.7 KBps, 7.4 KBps, 7.95 KBps, 10.2 KBps, and 12.2 KBps.

AMR files must conform to the standards specified in Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF) Request for Comments (RFC) document RFC3267, Section 5, on the the Internet RFC Archive web site.

MIDI - Polyphonic MIDI (.mid, .midi, or .smf)
    MP3 - encoded using MPEG Part 1 and Part 2 audio layer 3
    Supported sample rates are 16Khz, 22.050Khz, 24Khz, 32Khz, 44.1Khz and 48Khz.

WAV - supports sample rates of 8 kHz, 16 kHz, 22.05 kHz, 32 kHz, 44.1 kHz, and 48 kHz with 8-bit and 16-bit depths in mono or stereo
    Supports WAV files created using audio codec GSM6.10.

Note: Playback of WAV files received as email message attachments requires BlackBerry Enterprise Server software version 4.1 Service Pack 2.

The following Audio file extensions are also supported:

.avi containing PCM, MP3, and AAC, AAC+, and eAAC+
    .3gp containing MP3, AMR-NB, AAC, AAC+, and eAAC+
    .mp4 containing MP3, AMR-NB, AAC, AAC+, and eAAC+
    .mov containing MP3, AMR-NB, AAC, AAC+, and eAAC+
    .aac and .m4a containing AAC, AAC+, and eAAC+
    Note: BlackBerry handheld does not support streaming music over Bluetooth� protocol to Bluetooth headset.

Video

The following Video formats are supported:

MPEG-4 Part 2 - Simple Profile + bvops (including DivX files in this format)
    H.263 Profile 0 and Profile 3
    The following Video file extensions are also supported:

.avi containing MPEG4 Part 2 and H.263
    .mov containing MPEG4 Part 2 and H.263
    .3gp containing MPEG4 Part 2 and H.263
    .mp4 containing MPEG4 Part 2 and H.263
    .m4v containing MPEG4 Part 2 and H.263
    .mpg containing MPEG4 Part 2 and H.263

Products & Services:
    BlackBerry 8100 Series
    BlackBerry Enterprise Server
    BlackBerry 8800 Series
    BlackBerry Desktop Software
    Version 4.1
    04-02-07 06:27 PM
    Tried with the Roxio stuff (really crap software) and also just dragged and dropped from my laptop to the media (2 gig)

videos playback (about 6 test videos on the media) and some music plays back. BUT other music shows info, artist, duration and length etc. But when you select it the player just goes bzzt or makes no sound and goest to 0:00 and the Play button redisplays?

Same artists, same songs, so it must be some license thing? Play on my laptop and I can see when I drag and drop it leave out some Roxio info.

I dunno, any ideas?
    08-22-07 09:12 AM
    I am a relatively new Blackberry user and decided to move some music files to my 8830. I have Mac and use ITunes exclusively, so most of my music files are MPEG4 some protected some not. I tried to move some MPEG 4 files (not protected) to my Blackberry, and although they showed up when I viewed my Blackberry files on my desktop, they did not show on the Blackberry. I decided to try an MP3 and it worked fine. The technical support site on Blackberry.com showed that the MPEG4 files are supported, so why don't they show up? I looked at buying the Roxio Media Manager, but don't want to unless I need it.

Any help?

Thanks
    11-02-07 06:20 PM
    Does anyone know how to turn the lock off on iTunes?
    11-04-07 04:30 PM
    ive just bought a blackberry pearl 8100 and im well pleased with it but i cant go on the internet with it.
    does anybody know where i can get the settings for it .
    im with o2 i went to the website but no joy
    thanks
    11-07-07 07:46 AM
    Thank you very much
    11-30-07 03:46 AM
    try downloading a program called Prism the video format one of them is .3gp
    12-19-07 07:39 PM
    to unlock itunes songs, burn them to a cd from i tunes, then simply reload them to your computer. should work fine. i do it with my gf's pearl all the time. theres no media mgr on the mac software so we make cds and add the tracks to my comp to put on her 8100
    12-20-07 09:11 PM
    Called ur phone company and ask 4 instruction if u have tmobile I can help
    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-02-08 08:04 AM
    Just want to see if anyone is using a certain program to convert .avi to a smaller format for viewing on their blackberry. I put a couple movies on my BB but it won't play them for some reason.
    03-02-08 10:35 PM
    I am having trouble figuring out how to install the free program to change the track ball of my pearl 8100. please help
    Jen
    03-04-08 11:44 AM
    I am having trouble figuring out how to install the free program to change the track ball of my pearl 8100. please help
    Jen
    What program are you talking about? Colorpearl? If so you can have that website send it to your phone and follow the instructions or save it to your PC and use desktop manager to install. You can download colorpearl HERE

Let us know a few more details and I am sure we can help you!
    Last edited by tourmalinecanyon; 03-04-08 at 11:01 PM.
    03-04-08 08:22 PM
    The Blackberry Video Converter is free, super easy to use and has so far been able to covert all my files into working video files for my Pearl. You can also set it to a higher volume so you can hear it better as well as set the aspect ratio so it doesn't crop the picture.

I can't post links here yet (too new) so you can Google it "Blackberry Video Converter" or go to Downloads.com and check it there.

As a note - once a file has been converted you will only be able to play it on the BB. If you try to play it on your PC it won't work, so don't give up until you've tried it on your BB.
    03-04-08 08:39 PM
    I got the magic dvd ripper on a download found with google they give you the first 3 or 4 to try and then you can decide if you want to buy. I got it for a zune b4 i got my berry. I rip into a mp4 format and it plays farely well
    03-05-08 10:28 PM
    I got Jack on my 8100... downloaded a few files .htm and mpga ... with the mpga I get"unable to display files"... with the htm files I get nothing...blank screen....WHAAAAAAT I do now Oh and thit is only when I can find them :l
    03-23-08 11:29 PM
    Fantastic!! I just tried Blackberry Video Converter 1.13.07 downloaded from softsea.com. Blackberry Video Converter 1.13.07 is a Video Converter product from seabyrdtech.com, get 4 Stars SoftSea Rating, Blackberry Video Converter is a MPlayer front-end that allows you to convert most popluar video formats to an AVI file formatted for the Blackberry Perl device.
    04-07-08 09:59 AM
    Is there a way to here music from aol radio on my pearl?
    04-24-08 12:43 PM
    hi, i'm trying to figure out if i can us a sandisk 8gb sdhc in the 8100. can soneone clarify, remain appreciative of your help.
    05-07-08 04:27 PM
    The pearl website said it will support what ever card you put in it size wise.
    05-17-08 02:58 PM
    i just dropped an avi file on my pearl and it won't play or show up.

what formats are really supported? mpeg what?

Edit: I found out my avi file was bad. no wonder.
    Last edited by joopster; 05-17-08 at 03:22 PM.
    05-17-08 03:18 PM
    Sorry your file was dead. It happens.

Here's a list of media for your phone http://forums.crackberry.com/f5/supp...00-8800-a-518/.

To convert vids to play on your phone, get Seabyrd Technologies - Blackberry Video Converter It's free and i works.
    05-23-08 03:55 AM
    I have Amerisoft video converter for bb. I tried converting divx files to avi. as the converter automatically does but files don't play. If I take same converted file and reconvert to mpeg4 w/ Roxio it seems to work in my pearl. Any thoughts as to why that is.
    Last edited by johnsmohr111; 05-26-08 at 01:44 PM.
    05-26-08 12:56 PM
    bb 8100 oss 4.2 can't view video full screen, i hate it
    06-26-08 12:04 AM
    tourmalinecanyon the web site you redirect to does not allow OTA or desktop download?? desktop mgr does not recognize files??
    06-26-08 09:01 PM
    any ideas why??
    06-26-08 09:01 PM
52 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD