I read a post a while back about how to clean up your trackball if it gets dirt on it you can't get off. What was suggested was to pop the trackball assembly out with a tiny screwdriver and take it apart to were you can soak the trackball and only the trackball in a solution for some period of time.

I tried something that worked quite well and I only had to remove the assembly and not take it apart down to the ball alone. Of course I took the battery out first then removed the ring aroung the ball with a small flat screwdriver. There are 3 tabs on the ring and the one in the center goes down towards the keyboard. The assembly then pops out quite easily. When you get it out there is a contact on the back that lines up with the contact inside. Then I took a can of electrical contact cleaner and sprayed it heavily while rolling the ball around and that took everything off and cleaned off all the rollers quite well too. Then I washed it in a small container (I just used the cap) of isopropyl alcohol ap it would dry faster and again rolled the ball around while doing so. Let everything dry and put it back together and it was just like I had taken it out of the box.

I know this tends to be excessive and unnecessary for most people but I doubt I am the only BB user who works a dirty job. I have an otterbox defender case which I have been ever so grateful for numerous times but it still leaves the trackball uncovered so it gets pretty ugly after a few weeks.

I hope this proves useful to some people on here and I don't means to be redundant if it seems that way.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-10-08 07:31 PM
    Any pics?????
    08-10-08 07:33 PM
    Sounds interesting I was wondering if you had pics as well...
    08-10-08 07:41 PM
    I stripped apart a BB 8120 for a mate of mine on which the trackball wasn't working and this is the housing unit of the trackball completely stripped.

Last edited by mobiman; 08-11-08 at 05:37 AM.
    08-11-08 04:11 AM
    I stripped apart a BB 8120 for a mate of mine which on which the trackball wasn't working and this is the housing unit of the trackball completely stripped.

Nice post!
    08-11-08 05:27 AM
    I would have some save the only camera I have right now is on my BB

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-11-08 06:00 AM
    wow... thats a dirty trackball!
    08-11-08 10:04 AM
    wow... thats a dirty trackball!
    "Yeh tell me about it, I slapped my mate for keeping his Berry so dirty...lol
    08-11-08 10:07 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD