Since blackberry has failed to release a new flip phone, is it worth it to buy the pearl flip? Or should a I hold out and wait for a flip that blackberry may or may not release. I saw the photos of the supposed new flip and did not like it.
    04-28-10 01:42 PM
    This depends on how much you want a flip phone that is also a BlackBerry/smartphone.

If you are like me and vastly prefer having something shaped like a phone, I would say go for the normal Flip. It works well enough and should last you a bit. The sad fact is the choices for smart flip phones are limited; you essentially have the Pearl Flip, the new 9670, and the Motorola Mings (which are for now going solely to China Mobile).

I love that RIM is releasing another flip phone, but the rumor is that it is going exclusively to Verizon, so you have nothing to worry about there if you want to stay with T-Mobile.

Basically it comes down to how much you like the form factor--if you really prefer flip phones, it's worth it to go for an 8220 (T-Mobile's Flip variant). If not, go for a Berry form that suits you better.
    04-28-10 11:17 PM
    Well I currently own a Bold 9700 from tmobile. I wanted the flip phone for when I go out so that I dont have to carry my current brick around. Not to mention I need something that if its lost Im not loosing $500. I need to get my email 24/7 and for me the clear choice is blackberry.

What I am wondering is, is it worth $100 for a phone thats years old, when in a year they may release a new flip for GSM carriers?
    04-29-10 11:05 AM
    Meh, I wouldn't buy one now. I got one a year ago and it was pretty much out dated then.

REALLY slow processor, no 3g.

Wait for the new pearl series, they are looking really good. They have 3g and Wireless N.
    04-29-10 02:23 PM
    Just want one that flips swivels or slides, LOL, getting tired of the flat face phones.... But I do really like blackberry. I guess if I can find one for like $70 ill spring for it, but if not ill just keep my mouth shut and stick with what I have.
    04-29-10 03:00 PM
    Just want one that flips swivels or slides, LOL, getting tired of the flat face phones.... But I do really like blackberry. I guess if I can find one for like $70 ill spring for it, but if not ill just keep my mouth shut and stick with what I have.
    There are rumours of a blackberry slider coming soon, so I would hold on to what you have for now.
    04-29-10 04:56 PM
    I don't blame you on getting tired of flat faces.

The new 9670 is a CDMA phone and a rumored exclusive for Verizon, so no help there. There are rumors of a slider, but they are just rumors. I'd say if you can find it cheap (Verizon is offering the 8230 for $10 with contract) then go for an 8220 now.

FYI--the problem with the rumored slider that Matt mentions is that it's like a slider Storm--flat faced screen that slides out, rather than a smaller Pearl-sized slider. Search Crackberry for pics and more info--I can't post links yet since I don't have 10 posts.
    04-29-10 09:00 PM
    No. It's outdated hardware and software wise. And it's lack of popularity means RIM is giving us current owners the finger support wise. If you want a blackberry get the new Pearl or a 9700. If you just need a good phone I'd go Android, that market is booming right now.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-30-10 10:19 AM
    personally i like the flip.. a friend of mine just bought it for ~$160, but its kinda big and the keyboard is god damn ugly.

I'd go for a pearl these days (no flip)
    Last edited by lenlennart; 05-08-10 at 02:38 PM.
    05-08-10 02:34 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD