im 99% sure it is something that can be added to the software, the 1% is me not knowing what angle the camera is in
    So Benz, you think the outside LCD and the camera are connected? If so, I think RIM needs a "head-knocking" for not including it!
    10-17-08 01:36 PM
    So Benz, you think the outside LCD and the camera are connected? If so, I think RIM needs a "head-knocking" for not including it!
    im pretty sure everything is connected...
    10-17-08 01:38 PM
    I just had a funny thought. Imagine gluing one of those round concave car side mirror thingys to your Flip...LOL.
    With text on the mirror: "Crackberry addicts in mirror may be larger than they appear"
    10-17-08 02:12 PM
    With text on the mirror: "Crackberry addicts in mirror may be larger than they appear"
    Thank you...finally...I thought my humor was drying up!
    10-17-08 02:18 PM
    The Blackberry tech I spoke with earlier said that the issue of the speakerphone not working with the flip closed AND the outside LCD being more functional (being used a image viewer to take pictures "WITH KIDS NOT VANITY" and changing profiles) is a software issue and if enough people complain they can try to include that in the next software upgrade. Hey, for what it's worth, all Sprint flip phones do this, so I thought with this being a Blackberry and everything it can do it should be able to do this little stuff. It's definitely better than some Sanyo or Samsung and they've been doing it for years so I thought Blackberry RIM would take some pages out of their flip-phone books and supersize with their Blackberry....guess I was wrong.
    10-17-08 09:10 PM
    so send in those emails!!!
    10-17-08 09:12 PM
    now that you guys are bringing up the whole camera closed, vanity pis and self-potrait talk....how useful is the outside LCD besides being able to read Texts and diplay date and time........does it show pics of callers on incoming calls?
    And the reason i brought the speaker phone ques up is that i thought u could access the phonebook via the small lcd and volume buttons , highlight the name and call away, being on speaker....
    i have yet to see and working display model at my nearest store maybe this weekend, im a lil eager to play with it, see if waiting for all the new phones is a good idea or not
    10-18-08 02:49 AM
    now that you guys are bringing up the whole camera closed, vanity pis and self-potrait talk....how useful is the outside LCD besides being able to read Texts and diplay date and time........does it show pics of callers on incoming calls?
    And the reason i brought the speaker phone ques up is that i thought u could access the phonebook via the small lcd and volume buttons , highlight the name and call away, being on speaker....
    i have yet to see and working display model at my nearest store maybe this weekend, im a lil eager to play with it, see if waiting for all the new phones is a good idea or not
    I like the fact that I don't have to open my Flip to see if I have any messages. Also, although I wear a watch, the clock feature is nice for those who do not wear a watch. The outside LCD stays on when you have the BB plugged in to the USB port.

For what it's worth, I'm going to write a 1-week review this Tuesday and will go over the pros and cons of the Flip compared to the 81XX series BB's. This will be a basic personal observation of the BB and all comments are encouraged (and welcome).
    10-18-08 08:42 AM
    The LCD is not useful outside of reading emails/texts and displaying battery life, date/time, service bar. From what I've seen you can only read so much the email/text, which is what is displayed in the window. If it's a long email or text you have to open the phone anyway to read it. That's just from what I've seen. And you can't mark the email/text as read. So the notification image and/or LED light will stay on until you open the phone and physically open the message. BUT, I can say, I didn't expect the outside LCD to show the picture (if assigned in phonebook) of the person when they call/send text/AND send email. I thought that was pretty cool. Of course it shows picture of callers and the phone number on the outside LCD
    10-18-08 10:43 AM
    I'd say it's just meant to be used for a quick skim, not to actually process any of your information. So, if you have 5 e-mails and a text, you can flip through them quickly to see if any of them seem important, and if so, you flip to read them. Sure, if the messages are short enough, marking them as read might be nice, but I think it might be too easy to accidentally trigger that function when the phone is in your pocket. It's nice to know you can't do anything drastic accidentally when the phone is closed. The outside LCD just acts as a jump-off point to decide what you want to do when you flip.

I can't count how many times my silly Motorola phone switched from Silent to Loud by bumping up against my keys in my pocket. Not amusing.
    10-18-08 12:00 PM
    I'd say it's just meant to be used for a quick skim, not to actually process any of your information. So, if you have 5 e-mails and a text, you can flip through them quickly to see if any of them seem important, and if so, you flip to read them. Sure, if the messages are short enough, marking them as read might be nice, but I think it might be too easy to accidentally trigger that function when the phone is in your pocket. It's nice to know you can't do anything drastic accidentally when the phone is closed. The outside LCD just acts as a jump-off point to decide what you want to do when you flip.

I can't count how many times my silly Motorola phone switched from Silent to Loud by bumping up against my keys in my pocket. Not amusing.

You have made a very good point.
    10-18-08 07:06 PM
    You have made a very good point.
    It would be nice if it was a configurable option to do what you are asking though. "Enable Mark As Read" and then map that function to a button press like holding both convenience keys... I still wouldn't use it though .
    10-19-08 10:46 AM
37 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD