Hi, everyone! I took your advice and called Verizon because my Pearl was doing strange things (dropping calls, freezing up, erasing messages ), despite cleaning up the memory, soft reset, etc. Anyhow, I got the new phone and it's up and running - much improved, so far.

My question is - with my original Pearl, when I pressed the Mute button for standby, It would give me two options "Yes," and "Cancel." Then the screen would remain black until I manually took it out of standby.

With the new Pearl, it just says, "Entering Standby Mode" (with no options to choose). When other buttons are pushed, the screen lights up, stating that it's in standby mode. Since the phone sits in my purse, I don't want inadvertantly pressed buttons to drain the battery by turning on and off the screen. Any ideas on how to make it that buttons don't activate the screen when in standby mode?

Thanks, as always, for your help!

Terri
    08-22-08 10:26 AM
    Sorry, but from what I have found there is no way to disable the buttons from turning on the screen. The screen does only stay on for a very short period of time and it won't do anything else until it is taken out of standby. This brief turning on of the backlight shouldn't wear down the battery a significant amount.
    08-22-08 05:05 PM
    Yeah, that's how my phone operates, as well. Haven't found away around it except putting key lock and then standby mode on.
    08-22-08 05:35 PM
    You got a BB with the new Verizon OS anyways it's only the 4 buttons next to the trackball that can turn on the screen for about 2 seconds. It's not going to drain your battery
    08-22-08 06:00 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD