I am in the process of receiving a new BB Pearl Flip 8230 and have a few questions that you fellows might answer for me. I will only be using this phone for talk and text so I won't need data for email and web surfing. Since I'm using Page Plus, my understanding is you have to add service books and jump thru some other hoops to get data to work with the 8230 anyway, and data can really cost with PP if you don't keep on top of it.

Anyway, question time!

Can the 8230 be rooted/unlocked or whatever, and why would I want to? I have rooted a few Dinc's and an Eric, but I knew what I wanted to do with those phones.

Are there any useful apps for the 8230, and how would I get them to the phone without data?

Is there a way to have the clock show on the outside front LCD all the time, and if so, would there be much of a battery drain? (I don't wear a watch)

Any tricks I need to know about the 8230?

Enough for now. We'll see how this goes. ...and as always, Merci beaucoup !
    08-07-14 09:56 PM
    I am in the process of receiving a new BB Pearl Flip 8230 and have a few questions that you fellows might answer for me. I will only be using this phone for talk and text so I won't need data for email and web surfing. Since I'm using Page Plus, my understanding is you have to add service books and jump thru some other hoops to get data to work with the 8230 anyway, and data can really cost with PP if you don't keep on top of it.

Ehhh... Sorry but... New Pearl Flip? In 2014? Even a mint unit can't be called new by now...

Anyway, question time!

Can the 8230 be rooted/unlocked or whatever, and why would I want to? I have rooted a few Dinc's and an Eric, but I knew what I wanted to do with those phones.

You can't root legacy BBOS devices. Period.

Are there any useful apps for the 8230, and how would I get them to the phone without data?

Almost all useful apps require data, which you won't be adding to that device (btw, you need a BIS plan if you change your mind). Native PIM apps (Calendar, Contacts, Tasks, etc) are very good though (for OS 4.5 standard at least).

Is there a way to have the clock show on the outside front LCD all the time, and if so, would there be much of a battery drain? (I don't wear a watch)

I don't remember much of OS4.5 by now, but I am fairly confident the time shows on the top bar. Besides, while closed you get a digital watch.

Some questions concerning the BB Pearl Flip 8230...-rim-blackberry-pearl-flip-8230-review-design-005.jpg

Any tricks I need to know about the 8230?

Na, BBOS is not hard to get.

Enough for now. We'll see how this goes. ...and as always, Merci beaucoup !
    No problem but... Seriously, it's a 2010 phone, running the already old BBOS. Don't expect miracles. But for messaging, calls and PIM, should be a solid performer.
    08-07-14 10:45 PM
    Thanks Diegonei. I guess what I meant to say was it's "supposed" to be a new in box, unused phone so I guess you could say it's new old stock. I didn't think I would need to do anything to it just for phone/texting, but thought I"d ask in case someone had found an app that was really useful (for me, anyway) to add to it.
    The clock thing... the image goes away after a few seconds and just wondered if there was a way to make it show up permanently. I found out that just pushing one of the extra buttons on the side brings up the clock. Convenient keys? I forget exactly what they're called.

I think this new old phone will serve me well. I don't really like having a big slab phone in my pocket with an unprotected screen anymore. Just getting too old for such things I guess.

Thanks!
    08-08-14 05:18 PM
    Yeah I still have my flip Pearl. No apps really. Just the basics
    08-08-14 05:40 PM
    One last thing I thought of. I have had to carefully watch my Dinc to prevent it from updating, which uses data, and depleating my PP funds. Do BB's do OTA updating as well? If so, is there a way to prevent it other than choosing "update later" as I did with the Dinc?
    08-10-14 02:31 PM