I've had my BB Pearl 8130 for about six months. I've noticed within the past few weeks that my SMS texts clear out by themselves and when I go into my texts, it says I have no messages. Also, people tell me that they text me and I never receive those texts. I noticed that the only time I don't seem to get my texts is when my SMS texts clear out. I've been taking out my battery and rebooting my phone and this usually seems to help...until the next time, that is. I had a friend who this was happening to and she just said screw it and got a whole different phone. I love my BB and hate to have to switch phones and am hoping it's something simple that can be fixed?? HELP!
    05-06-09 02:37 PM
    SMS messages being deleted by the phone (or not coming through) is usually a result of low file free memory (below 12mb is the magic number for message deletion I think). Try searching the forum for tips on how to free up space and stay on top of your file free, which should prevent your phone from deleting messages in the future. Pearls, unfortunately, have a small amount of memory in comparison to some other BB's, but it's not impossible to stay ahead of the curve so to speak.
    Last edited by controversialfigure; 05-06-09 at 02:50 PM.
    05-06-09 02:47 PM
    Thank you...I'm gonna look into that right now.
    05-06-09 03:06 PM
    Another reason for the low memory is the Event Log. hold alt and type lglg (works on all Blackberrys.) hit clear log. Even better is Options > scroll to any of the filter lines and "Hide all types" in the context menu. That way all (most?) of the log will not come back. I did it once and reclaimed about 6MB.
    05-06-09 07:26 PM
    The link you are looking for is the CrackBerry Memory Optimization Procedure (MOP) by Reed McLay. It's linked in my signature.
    05-06-09 10:48 PM
    It definitely sounds like a memory leak.

Follow everyone else's tips on memory optimization and you'll be good to go, I managed to clear up 7 mb on my phone. Also, what OS are you running?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-07-09 12:00 AM
    ...Pearls, unfortunately, have a small amount of memory in comparison to some other BB's, but it's not impossible to stay ahead of the curve so to speak.
    "ahead of the Curve" lol Pun intended?

05-08-09 04:22 AM
    My pearl has on average 5million bytes of memory. Is this normal? What is the conversion to mb?
    Last edited by alex509496; 05-08-09 at 05:08 AM. Reason: incorrect word
    05-08-09 05:04 AM
    My pearl has been doing the same thing recently. I have plenty of free memory and a memory card. Even though I have plenty of memory, I still freed up some additional memory and this has not helped any.
    05-08-09 07:04 AM
    "ahead of the Curve" lol Pun intended?

Well spotted. I didn't see that at the time. I doff my hat to you.
    05-08-09 07:54 AM
    My pearl has on average 5million bytes of memory. Is this normal? What is the conversion to mb?
    It's around 5Mb (around about 4.7 if you were to do the calculations) which is low meaning you could suffer from resets or loss of data. Try the Memory Optimisation that JeffH suggested to increase your file free.

My pearl has been doing the same thing recently. I have plenty of free memory and a memory card. Even though I have plenty of memory, I still freed up some additional memory and this has not helped any.
    I don't the memory card matters really as it's only used to store your media rather than data. If you're still having the problem of messsages being deleted then I'd suggest trying the memory optimisation again and making sure apps are properly closed when you're done running them. Messages and call logs are usually the first things to be dumped to increase the memory and keep your BB running smoothly.
    05-08-09 08:07 AM
    Just out of curiosity when you go to options>status what is that file free number? As far as a memory card is concerned, that can only help if you had pics, ringtones, etc stored on your device memory and now they are on your media card. Post that file free number when you can.
    05-08-09 08:11 AM
    CK THAT FILE FREE, YO!!

that was my obsession with my pearl! i HAD to have LOTS of file free!!
    05-08-09 08:33 AM
    CK THAT FILE FREE, YO!!

that was my obsession with my pearl! i HAD to have LOTS of file free!!
    I believe that's already been established.

Oh and here's the link if anyone still has problems.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/how-...-memory-34633/

05-08-09 08:35 AM
    Bear with me, I'm fairly new to the BB world (this Pearl is my first BB), so I have no clue what OS I'm running....where do I find that?

Also, when I go into options/status it says I have 9525268 bytes free.... I'm going to try all the suggestions and hopefully that helps.
    05-08-09 05:08 PM
    Oh, I figured it out, lol...I'm running the version 4.3
    05-08-09 05:10 PM
    The problem is your memory is too low.

Do this:

Home>Menu>Options>Status> Read your "File Free" and if it is close to your "File Total" then it is good. The closer the number the better. If it is 0, your system is in danger of crashing, sort of like a computer.

Now what you do if it is low is you go into your media and make sure everything is saved on your Memory/Media card. If it isn't transfer it all to the memory card.

You can also delete unnecessary media if not needed.

This should help, I believe you should have atleast 5-10,000,000 bytes of free space.

Your messages shouldn't delete themselves anymore.
    Also, make sure your call log is empty and your applications are not running.

To check running applications click ALT+ESC(ARROW,BACK-KEY) together and keep holding ALT, scroll through to the ones you want to close and go to them, them click MENU and "close."

There are about 5 apps that cannot be closed, I believe they are:

PHONE, BROWSER, MESSAGES, BLACKBERRY MESSENGER, and HOME
    05-08-09 09:00 PM
    My BB does this when I've saved things to my phone (pics, video, 100 texts, etc) and it sucks all my memory. Your texts are the first thing to go when memory is low and it's wanting to conserve.

Check your Status and make sure it's always above atleast 20,000.
    05-09-09 03:14 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD