Ok so there is one thing I miss about my treo it didn't cut me off while trying to write a txt if I went over 160 characters. I am some what wordy I guess when I txt so I was wondering if anyone knows how to turn this off and be able to write as much as you want or do I just have to deal with it.
    02-25-08 10:13 AM
    You probably just have to deal with it. It's a feature, really... if you text message someone with more than 160 and they're not on Verizon, it's just going to cut it off after that amount anyway.
    02-25-08 10:22 AM
    Ok so there is one thing I miss about my treo it didn't cut me off while trying to write a txt if I went over 160 characters. I am some what wordy I guess when I txt so I was wondering if anyone knows how to turn this off and be able to write as much as you want or do I just have to deal with it.
    Sorry to say it can't be turned off or changed. That is the nature of sms. It might not have cut you off per-say, more than likely it just sent multiple messages. You can write more with mms, email or the BB Messenger.
    02-25-08 10:24 AM
    ... and be sure not to forget PIN msgs (1000 char max) if sending to another BB.
    02-25-08 11:19 AM
    it's a Verizon thing and you have to get used to it....
    02-25-08 12:18 PM
    Hey Gib, where ya been? Unfortunately not just a VZW thing... the 8130 doesn't support EMS (Enhanced Message Service) on any carrier, so everyone has the 160 SMS max.
    02-25-08 12:26 PM
    it's a Verizon thing and you have to get used to it....
    Actually I don't believe it's carrier dependent but more protocol dependent. SMS really only supports 160 characters per message, which is why you're cut off. If you send a message longer than that to another user on the same provider it actually comes through as an MMS instead, which is why it can go over the limit. 160 is the limit for inter-provider SMS so it's actually a good thing that the Berry cuts you off, otherwise people would respond asking what you said after 'x' word since it got cut off.
    02-25-08 12:26 PM
    With my palm it would let me write more than 160 but would send it in mulitiple txts to that person. i just liked it becuase i didnt loose my train of thought in the message. I use BB messenger whenever I can but unfortinately for me all my friends haven't caught on to the trend or some of them have a BB but with Tmobile you dont have to carry the services so the messenger doesn't work.
    02-25-08 12:44 PM
    My husband and I are both on Verizon. I have a BB Storm, he has the VX6800 (I think thats what its called). My son has an at&t go phone.
    The piece of crap $20 At&t go phone has no character limit when texting. It simply breaks the message into the approapriate number of 160 character text.

My husbands 6800 does not have a character limit when texting, and breaks it into the approapiate number of 160 character text (and again this is a verizon service phone). It has windows mobile, most phones with windows mobile do not have character limits. His phone also never deletes text messages....he has conversations that are 6 months+ old. When he pulls up text between him and me every text he has ever sent me and every text he has ever recieved from me are in a single thread.

Oh how I will BB Storm would/could do this. I am not sure but I think it has something to do with Windows Mobile. Also my BB Storm only goes back a few days worth of text (I text A LOT) even through I have it set to keep messages forever and I have a memory chip.

Also my niece has a Fuse with ATT service and windows mobile; her phone does the same has my husbands....one thread per person. Even if she is sending a new text to someone she hasnt text in over a month....it is filed in the thread with all the text sent/recieved with that contact number.

SO when my huband and I are arguing through text he sends me one long *** text that comes up as 12 text on my phone....which wouldnt bother me if I didnt have to open each of them and make sure I am reading them in the correct order. I guess Windows Mobile treats texting more like instant messages which is way more convient.
    04-22-09 04:36 PM
    Something is wrong with your phone if it is deleting messages when it is set to keep it forever.. You must have a memory problem..

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-22-09 08:48 PM
    I have Greek as input language and I can't write sms with more than 70 characters in my bb! How can I fix it?
    04-23-09 02:08 AM
    If you have TMO you can send TMO to TMO more than 160 within one message, it will split it apart into multiple messages then piece it back together on the other end.
    04-23-09 07:44 AM
    I have Greek as input language and I can't write sms with more than 70 characters in my bb! How can I fix it?
    Change your input language. I think it's under screen/keyboard, I can't remember.
    04-25-09 09:51 PM
    Change your input language. I think it's under screen/keyboard, I can't remember.
    options>language...
    04-25-09 09:53 PM
    That way I'd send my messages in English! Isn't there a way to send 160-charachter sms in Greek?
    04-26-09 03:43 AM
    That way I'd send my messages in English! Isn't there a way to send 160-charachter sms in Greek?
    Nope... non-Latin Character languages only support 70 characters
    See SMS Tutorial: Introduction to SMS Messaging/Short Message Service, Concatenated SMS/Long SMS and EMS
    04-26-09 03:47 AM
    SO is there a way for BB storm to actually send more than one message if its longer than 160? My friend and i have verizon, his phone is cheap but doesnt have to stop at 160. it just sends 2 or more messages when it reaches 160.
    05-03-09 10:55 AM
    There is a new app on crackberry.com called "Beyond 160". You download it on your phone and it lets you send more than one message at a time - but for every time you go past 160 characters, it does charge for that amount of messages, so just be careful if you dont' have unlimited messaging.
    05-20-09 09:15 AM
    if u want to text over 160 characters u can get the app known as crunchSMS from the webiste blackberryseeker.com . It is a completely different app that looks like the iPhone style of texting, but u then can disable the texts from going to the SMS app so that it just goes to crunchSMS
    03-10-10 02:48 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD