I'm a bit pressed for time, or I would have scanned the forums a little better.

I'm using the Pearl 8130 on my Sprint service and I've had some trouble in the past few months with it. Whenever I use the browser to look for some game strategies for games on my PC that don't like to leave fullscreen easily (Oblivion is the big one) my phone goes into this ****** mode. I close the app out and return to my home screen and I stop receiving SMS and phone calls. I still receive e-mails through my hotmail account though. I've got only two apps downloaded: Pandora and Windows Live Messenger to keep in touch with the family and to have music on the go without bogging down my memory stick.

My browser home page says I don't have any updates, so I don't know what could be causing the issue. Any help would be appreciated as it's started to frustrate my wife who wants me to have a good phone by the time she deploys next month.
    07-17-09 12:20 PM
    It sounds like it could be a memory issue.
    Go to "Options->Status" and look at the number next to "File Free."
    This number should be approximately 12,000,000 Bytes.
    Any lower than 5,000,000 and you will have problems.
    You should also make sure that anytime you exit a program you use the "Close" or "Exit" command to avoid leaving it running in the background.

There's an excellent tutorial on increasing your free memory here:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/how-...-memory-34633/
    07-17-09 12:51 PM
    I'm a bit pressed for time, or I would have scanned the forums a little better.

I'm using the Pearl 8130 on my Sprint service and I've had some trouble in the past few months with it. Whenever I use the browser to look for some game strategies for games on my PC that don't like to leave fullscreen easily (Oblivion is the big one) my phone goes into this ****** mode. I close the app out and return to my home screen and I stop receiving SMS and phone calls. I still receive e-mails through my hotmail account though. I've got only two apps downloaded: Pandora and Windows Live Messenger to keep in touch with the family and to have music on the go without bogging down my memory stick.

My browser home page says I don't have any updates, so I don't know what could be causing the issue. Any help would be appreciated as it's started to frustrate my wife who wants me to have a good phone by the time she deploys next month.

What OS are you running on that pearl? I know there was memory issues with the 4.3 but i thought 4.5 got rid of those issues?
    07-17-09 12:53 PM
    I'm running 4.5. My free memory currently shows 2426476 Bytes, but I checked my apps and nothing is running besides Call Log, Home Screen, Messages, Blackberry Messenger and Browser which I've closed 3-4 times but it doesn't want to leave the application list I guess. I've been through 2 of these Pearls so far, I'm on the verge of shoving it into Sprint's face and demanding a Curve, hehe.
    07-17-09 12:58 PM
    I would! I did that with verizon when I had the pearl lol Have you tried a bat pull? Maybe a backup/wipe/restore?
    07-17-09 01:06 PM
    Yeah, I have to bat pull* it daily to get my phone back into working condition. It's just frustrating because it does it out of the blue and my wife comes home asking why I never picked up or responded to her text messages. I appreciate all the info. Even after looking through the forums, it seems like I might be better off switching to a Curve. What would you recommend? I'm tired of having these issues which seems detrimental to the Pearl.
    07-17-09 01:08 PM
    I'm running 4.5. My free memory currently shows 2426476 Bytes, but I checked my apps and nothing is running besides Call Log, Home Screen, Messages, Blackberry Messenger and Browser which I've closed 3-4 times but it doesn't want to leave the application list I guess. I've been through 2 of these Pearls so far, I'm on the verge of shoving it into Sprint's face and demanding a Curve, hehe.
    2426476 Bytes is extremely low for file free on the Pearl.

The five apps you listed are always running. You can not close them.

Are you storing pics, music, ringtones, and other media on the internal memory? If so, you should get a media card and store them there.

Beyond that, I'd suggest once again to go through the memory optimization procedure, and double check that you aren't running any other apps which might be hogging the memory.
    07-17-09 01:15 PM
    Yeah, I have to bat pull* it daily to get my phone back into working condition. It's just frustrating because it does it out of the blue and my wife comes home asking why I never picked up or responded to her text messages. I appreciate all the info. Even after looking through the forums, it seems like I might be better off switching to a Curve. What would you recommend? I'm tired of having these issues which seems detrimental to the Pearl.
    I loved the curve after having the pearl for so long. I would go ahead and buy whatever phone just came out I know Verizon just got the Tour, don't know what sprint just got but if you're looking at having to pay for an upgrade do that, if you don't wanna spend the money call Sprint and tell them you love the Tour and you're gonna leave unless you get a curve. I know everyone says this but it works
    07-17-09 01:24 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD