HI All,

I am wondering if there is a setting that I can use to be able to type long sms messages and for the phone to send it has different parts? I know there is probably some applications out there that would permit that but I would like to know if it's possible without them. If it isn't, what is the application that you recommend ?

Thanks

If there is already a thread about this I apologize. I have looked through the first 4 pages and didn't see one.

I should add that I have a bb pearl 8130 with OS version 4.5
    Last edited by thesaxman; 01-14-09 at 11:39 AM. Reason: more info
    01-14-09 11:37 AM
    A SMS is limited to 160 characters. Pretty sure there is no way around that. You will either have to send it as a MMS, email, or PIN message. HTH.
    01-14-09 11:42 AM
    I understand that a single sms message is limited to that amount, what I mean is that I want to be able to type one that is let's say 320 characters and the bb would automatically send it in two parts of 160 characters.

i.e: part 1 of 2 then part 2 of 2
    01-14-09 11:58 AM
    The only carriers I know that will do this is Verizon and Ntelos. Not sure about yours.
    01-14-09 12:42 PM
    My carrier is Bell Canada...I'm guessing that if it doesn't do it automatically that it doesn't do it.
    01-14-09 01:14 PM
    This has been an issue for years. Why cant they simply work that in so it sends it as 2 or 3. COME ON RIM. SO smart on everything else? really? Really? my phone can do all this but o yeah.. .um I can only type one 160 sms at a time.. weak

If I had the knowledge to write programs I would make one .. Somone could make a good profit with it if they could figure a way to do it.
    01-14-09 02:08 PM
    Yeah I agree AlexD

I'm surprised that no one has actually wrote one.
    01-14-09 02:10 PM
    if it's long send an email or right after sending first text send another...
    01-14-09 02:14 PM
    My sidekick would send texts in multiple parts if it was too long. I loved that and I miss that functionality on my bb,
    01-14-09 02:22 PM
    what no one realizes is that Short Messaging is exactly what it is made to be...short...if your sms has to be THAT long, either send an email or call the person...or do what i do, send as many characters as you can the 1st text, then continue till you're done...it's annoying for the other person though cause they end up getting (1/2) then (2/2) then the 2nd message in 2 parts etc.
    keep it simple
    01-14-09 02:31 PM
    I see you point bionks but unfortunately not all have a bb so that they can receive the email. The way I see it, for what it cost the provider to send the message over the network, there shouldn't be a limit on the length.

Thank you all on your inputs.
    01-14-09 03:20 PM
    P.s. I'm on your side...I'm just repeating to you what I've been told 3 million times when I ask
    Maybe one day our bb's will do it!!
    01-14-09 03:43 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD